Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Colonization > Civ4Col - Technical Support

Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:11 PM   #1
McKay101
Chieftain

Question Is it possible to run Civ4 in a windows (or linux) virtual machine?

Hello,

Perhaps this is a bit odd but the situation is that the system I am hoping to run Civ4 from currently has VMWare Sphere 5 running on it. I will be using this system for other things unrelated to gaming and would like to keep the environment as it is. My first attempt has been to install a Windows 7 virtual machine and update it manually to the latest version of Civ 4 BTS. I have in this case run into a 3D graphics problem which vmtools installation has not solved.

First question... Does anyone know if what I am trying to do on the windows vm is even possible at all?

Second question... Does anyone know if it is possible to do this if the VM is a linux base with Civ4 installed under wine?

It's simply a matter of system resources and the host system has more available ram than the old system I am trying to get away from. I have another computer I also use to run Civ when but my goal is to have 2 so a local lan game is possible. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
McKay101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:42 AM   #2
raystuttgart
Civ4Col Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay101 View Post
Perhaps this is a bit odd but the situation is that the system I am hoping to run Civ4 from currently has VMWare Sphere 5 running on it.
This is the Civ4Col Sub-Forum, not the Civ4 Forum.

Quote:
First question... Does anyone know if what I am trying to do on the windows vm is even possible at all?
Yes it is.
How should Civ4 know the difference between an OS or an OS on a VM ?

Quote:
Second question... Does anyone know if it is possible to do this if the VM is a linux base with Civ4 installed under wine?
I heard it is possible, too.
Never tried myself, though.
raystuttgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
McKay101
Chieftain

My bad on hitting the wrong forum

Regarding running in a VM I was hoping some info as to exactly how to make that work. I have tried on a windows 7 VM but am running in to an error. I attempted to load the only drivers I can which is simply VMWare tools.

Error: Initialize renderer failed. Check direct X installation, Latest Graphics drivers and Graphics settings... then at the end of the error I have "Error:Creation Failed:Invalid 3D device type"

I'm not sure if it is even possible to get past this or not but any assistance would be great!
Thanks,
McKay101 is offline   Reply With Quote