Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVFANATICS > News Updates

Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:40 AM   #1
ainwood
Watching.

New Stardock game: Fallen Enchantress

Fallen Enchantress

Fallen Enchantress is a 4x strategy game that features magic, monsters, tactical combat and empire building in a fantasy world. It is designed by Derek "Kael" Paxton, the lead designer of Fall from Heaven, and the team at Stardock Entertainment, the creators of Galactic Civilizations. Jon Shafer, the lead designer of Civilization V, created the campaign for Fallen Enchantress.

It is scheduled for release later this year, but players that preorder the game can get into the beta and start playing immediately.

Read more about Fallen Enchantress and discuss it >>here<<
ainwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Takhisis
PER BALLISTĘ AD ASTRA

Will we get one of those checkboxes in our user profile like we do for all civ games and SMAC?
[18:47:11] <@Lucy> i don't mean to imply that what's going on in tak's underpants isn't equally or more creepy
'Well, there's spam, and then there's spam spam. You are an example of spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam spam spam and spam.' -choxorn, 12/03/2010
Takhisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
JeBuS27
Heretic

Fool me once...
This is simply my opinion, and should not be taken as an attack or lible against any person. Use of basic reasoning skills and logic is recommended when reading my posts. No emotional inflection should be read into my posts, nor should any attitude, positive or negative, be inferred from my posts.
JeBuS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:17 AM   #4
vincentz
Divemaster

"Jon Shafer" - "preorder the game"

well. no thanks.

"It is designed by Derek "Kael" Paxton"

but then again....

Edit. Btw : shouldnt it be opposite actually? You help them fix the game via beta testing in which case you should be rewarded with a free game????

Last edited by vincentz; Apr 28, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
vincentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Xink
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeBuS27 View Post
Fool me once...
After buying Galac Cv II and all its addons I thought that I was pretty safe when I bought Elemental. How wrong I was. The best thing about that game on its release was that I was able to get a refund.

That would be the last time I would pre-order a game from Stardock. I have lost trust and faith in that company which was made worse on their initial reactions to peoples valid complaints when Elemental was released.

Regardless of how this one is shaping up I will wait quite a while after its release to see how it rates. I would possibly consider it only when its in the bargain bin price category.

Last edited by Xink; Apr 28, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Xink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:26 AM   #6
MajKira
King

I would enjoy it, if it has become bugless
MajKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:21 PM   #7
zarakand
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xink View Post
After buying Galac Cv II and all its addons I thought that I was pretty safe when I bought Elemental. How wrong I was. The best thing about that game on its release was that I was able to get a refund.

That would be the last time I would pre-order a game from Stardock. I have lost trust and faith in that company which was made worse on their initial reactions to peoples valid complaints when Elemental was released.

Regardless of how this one is shaping up I will wait quite a while after its release to see how it rates. I would possibly consider it only when its in the bargain bin price category.
You'd think that the fact that they offered you a refund would go a long way towards appeasing you. I'm guessing it was a long/tedious process to get the refund? Still, that's still a big deal for video games.
zarakand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:01 AM   #8
Xink
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarakand View Post
You'd think that the fact that they offered you a refund would go a long way towards appeasing you. I'm guessing it was a long/tedious process to get the refund? Still, that's still a big deal for video games.
It did, and it was

But it was more of a complete disappointment that a game could be released in such a state. It was completely unplayable and, initially, the reaction was that the game was fine. Perhaps that was also coupled with my high expectations having played a lot of the Gal Civ II series.

What bothered me more was that reaction of the Dev when people were complaining of the game and all of its problems. I will not dwell on that here. But it was not nice and the main forums were getting quite hostile.

I would still consider buying games from Stardock but I definitely would not pre-order them again.

Right off to play Legend of Grimrock, now thankfully I got that one right when I pre-ordered it

Last edited by Xink; Apr 29, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Xink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Le Sage
Emperor

Well blimey. Here's something to look forward to. Kael and his Fall from Heaven has been an inspiration to us all, especially for me who also created a fantasy mod for Civ 4.

My Let's Play Channel Now Playing BNW!
Fairy Tale - Play Civilization IV in a detailed Medieval Fairy Tale/Fantasy world!
Le Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Jon Shafer
Conifer Games President

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentz View Post
"Jon Shafer" - "preorder the game"

well. no thanks.

"It is designed by Derek "Kael" Paxton"

but then again....
In addition to being a game, FE is also a psychological experiment to see if people's love for Derek outweighs their hatred for me. Experimental results so far are quite promising.

- Jon
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:33 PM   #11
zarakand
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
In addition to being a game, FE is also a psychological experiment to see if people's love for Derek outweighs their hatred for me. Experimental results so far are quite promising.

- Jon
It's like pairing Sarah Palin with Oprah!
zarakand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Jon Shafer
Conifer Games President

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarakand View Post
It's like pairing Sarah Palin with Oprah!
I like your thinking there. However, I like to think of us more as an Oprah-Ann Coulter pairing.

- Jon
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:41 PM   #13
NBAfan
boss

I wonder how this will compare with Warlock, another Fantasy 4x coming out this year?
NBAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:24 AM   #14
Le Sage
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAfan View Post
I wonder how this will compare with Warlock, another Fantasy 4x coming out this year?
Warlock's preorder is a LOT cheaper, and it's published by a company which is proven to deliver some really good stuff. Crusader Kings 2 is THE most interesting and challenging strategy title in a lot of years, if you ask me.

My Let's Play Channel Now Playing BNW!
Fairy Tale - Play Civilization IV in a detailed Medieval Fairy Tale/Fantasy world!
Le Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:48 AM   #15
cephalo
Emperor

Quote:

- Jon
Keep your head up Jon! Some of us know you still got it! Civ5 was a fine game. You messed up by making BtS too darn good.

PerfectWorldDF world creator for Dwarf Fortress ------ FaireWeather.py for Colonization
PerfectWorld.py Map script for Civ4/Warlords/BtS --- Gross National Happiness Mod for BtS
Creation.py Map script for Fall from Heaven 2
SpiralGalaxy.py Map script for Final Frontier
cephalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Sullla
Patrician Roman Dictator

Civ5 is a game with brilliant ideas, implemented in very poor fashion. Elemental was more or less in the same situation. Here's hoping that Stardock can get things right the second time around with this expansion.

Sullla's Website: My writings on Civilization and many other games, featuring the Civ4 Walkthrough

"Alea iacta est." - G. Julius Caesar
Sullla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:03 PM   #17
MajKira
King

Me looking after months into official Stardockpage, seeing Elemental: War of Magic v1.4 Released... Well, I could read sometime last year Stardock having dismissing designers becuz of missuccess of Elemental. After being very sucessful with GalCiv 2. I like GalCiv 2 too and horrored by Elemental. But have still hope for Fallen Enchantress joo
MajKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Aroddo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeBuS27 View Post
Fool me once...
This.

While you were reading this, Germany scored another goal.
Aroddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 12:08 AM   #19
Drakarska
Epic Dadness

Quote:

- Jon
Freud would definitely find it interesting

TTT Historian and resident Snarky Commentator
Drakarska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 12:10 AM   #20
Drakarska
Epic Dadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalo View Post
Keep your head up Jon! Some of us know you still got it! Civ5 was a fine game. You messed up by making BtS too darn good.
disagree, but that's the beauty of differing opinions. And he didn't "make" BtS.

TTT Historian and resident Snarky Commentator
Drakarska is offline   Reply With Quote