Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Notices

Civ5 - General Discussions Forum for general Civ5 discussions.

Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:41 PM   #41
Cicero63
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinage View Post
I sure hope not!
That's our national anthem and I don't like the idea of national anthem's being the Civs theme music. Apart from that, it's not a terribly nice sounding one, unfortunately.
Though anything is better than that horrible carnival/circus sounding music the Dutch had in Civ IV

I can't think of what it actually will end up being for the Dutch though...
Ha I thought the Dutch music in Civ IV sounded good up until the modern era when the carnival began. From that moment on I couldn't take William very seriously
Cicero63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:54 PM   #42
synulia
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero63 View Post
Ha I thought the Dutch music in Civ IV sounded good up until the modern era when the carnival began. From that moment on I couldn't take William very seriously
Bahahaha. It sounded like something out of a Banjo-Kazooie game. Poor Willem doesn't get any respect.
synulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:55 PM   #43
drubell
Warlord

I remember that the composers provided a site for people to listen to Vanilla Civ shortly before release. I wonder if they'd do that again for the expansion.
drubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:10 AM   #44
svett89
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guandao View Post
What kind of theme should Gustavus Adolphus have? The Swedish national anthem? Or something else?
I could imagine them using "Fjäriln vingad syns på Haga". It's one of the more well-known traditional Swedish songs, written during the 18th century by Carl Michael Bellman. It could make for a great orchestration, I think.

Here's a link to an English version of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACyYbupyNgc
svett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #45
Morningcalm
Emperor

That's a great song, but it's just a couple of decades behind Gustavus Adolphus' lifetime. I wonder if there are Renaissance alternatives? For some of the leaders, like Augustus, Ramesses, Kamehameha, Nebuchadnezzar and Sejong they chose music from their time period, or even named after them/dedicated to them, and/or written/composed during their lifetime....
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
-Albert Einstein

Currently Reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Morningcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:39 AM   #46
Kimuyama
Prince

"Vem kan segla" could be a nice song for sweden too
Kimuyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:01 AM   #47
Montov
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero63 View Post
Yeah, that was bad. But, if can be worse if Firaxis really wants it, they just have to use "Zanger Rinus":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHEFbX81XWQ
Montov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:24 PM   #48
Guandao
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningcalm View Post
That's a great song, but it's just a couple of decades behind Gustavus Adolphus' lifetime. I wonder if there are Renaissance alternatives? For some of the leaders, like Augustus, Ramesses, Kamehameha, Nebuchadnezzar and Sejong they chose music from their time period, or even named after them/dedicated to them, and/or written/composed during their lifetime....
Not all leaders had themes from their lifetime. Catherine had Prokofiev. Bismarck had Ode to Joy, Elizabeth had I vow to thee, My country. and so on

Augustus' music was altered heavily,
Ramesses' music was based on ancient music, but I'm not sure what group made them.
Nebuchadnezzar's music is based on Hurrian Hymn (not exactly the same as Babylonian music but close)
Guandao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Guandao
King

here my thread back at the regular civ5 forums,
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426593
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:10 PM   #50
Morningcalm
Emperor

Quote:
Not all leaders had themes from their lifetime. Catherine had Prokofiev. Bismarck had Ode to Joy, Elizabeth had I vow to thee, My country. and so on

Augustus' music was altered heavily,
Ramesses' music was based on ancient music, but I'm not sure what group made them.
Nebuchadnezzar's music is based on Hurrian Hymn (not exactly the same as Babylonian music but close)
Yea, only some leaders have music from their time. But it's nice when the music matches the leader. If they can pair Gustavus Adolphus with music from his time, that'd be great.

Augustus and Ramesses are arguably from their time since ancient Roman/Egyptian music didn't evolve all that much, same for Nebuchadnezzar (though the problem with Nebby's is that his music is not specifically Babylonian per se).
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
-Albert Einstein

Currently Reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Morningcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:57 PM   #51
Liex
King

Quote:
here my thread back at the regular civ5 forums,
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426593
Thank you, that's a nice list.

Prokofiev... that explains why I love the Russian theme so much.
Liex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 03:31 PM   #52
Guandao
King

Ok, Geoff Knorr (one of the composers) responded to my email. He said that he will reveal more information about the music when the game is released. Hopefully, he'll keep his word.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:38 PM   #53
Eagle Pursuit
Scir-Gerefa

Quote:
Ok, Geoff Knorr (one of the composers) responded to my email. He said that he will reveal more information about the music when the game is released. Hopefully, he'll keep his word.
thanks for the update
Eagle Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote