Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - Technical Support

Notices

Civ5 - Technical Support Seek help from others for all your technical support issues.

Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Zaimejs
King

Unhappy Haven't played in awhile... SLOW COMPUTER!

I have had Civ V since the release... but took a hiatus. I thought over Christmas Break, I'd give it a whirl.

I'm playing on Bootcamp. Dual i5 2.7 ghz with a Radeon 6770. I swear that it played pretty well back when I first installed it on Steam. The Mac version came out, and it was okay, but it always felt sluggish, so I'd go back to play it on Bootcamp (latest updates, DLC and whatnot).

But now, since I tried playing it again yesterday, it feels really slow. It pauses 20-30 seconds anytime a leader wants to talk with me. The music starts playing... and I wait and wait... then finally the leader shows up. And after we are done talking, it pauses another 10-15 seconds to go back to the map. I'm playing on a standard size map, still pretty early in the game, but scrolling from one end of the continent to the other is choppy and just awful.

Did they do something to Civ 5 to make it slowdown since I played it a few months ago? Is it my computer?

Thanks for any help. Just tell me something to try, and I'll give it a whirl.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Morpheas
Warlord

Trying to think, and your CPU and GFX card are good, not great, but they shouldn't have an issue.

Make sure that your PC is running as few applications as possible.

Another tip is to run the game in DX9 instead of 10/11, as it will disable the more advanced gfx features so you can run the game more smoothly. Lower the settings as low as possible before you get a little bugged by the quality.
Morpheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Zaimejs
King

I will try this. I'm still confused as to why my PC runs Civ V more slowly than my mac. In the past it has always been the reverse.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Zaimejs
King

Okay, tried it in DX9, and it was sooooo much faster... smoother... more fun in general. I love when things get worse as they improve!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:59 PM   #5
timtofly
One Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaimejs View Post
Okay, tried it in DX9, and it was sooooo much faster... smoother... more fun in general. I love when things get worse as they improve!
That is why Civ offers a DX9 version. It is designed for a wider assortment of PC's on the market today. If one has the latest combination high end computer, running DX11 is not a problem. Something in your configuration is a bottle neck, more or less.

I was running a great combination (for it's time 4 years ago) laptop, but it was below specs and the game dragged on after a certain threshold. I have since gone to a completely DX11 machine, and the difference is like night and day.
timtofly is offline   Reply With Quote