Promotion Trees

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
In v152.3 I added the Condensed Promotions, Promotion Tree, and Upgrade Tree mods by whoward69. Clicking the "Choose Promotion" button brings up a tree view of possible promotions. These trees can also be viewed at any time in the mini-menu attached to the top right section of the screen.

Edit: Don't use this for Naval or Vanguard units yet. Whoward and I are still figuring out some technical details for complex promotion trees.

That can be very helpful for new players or anyone if u decide to change something:goodjob:

These look great!

Could we change the triggers though? I'm used to clicking WARRIOR (or whatever) to center the unit onscreen, and would prefer to have the promotion tree pop up, say, when I click the large icon in the bottom-left corner or upon right-clicking something.

Do you mean the upgrade tree? It's easy to change. I put it as left-clicking the unit name so people notice it's there... I'm concerned people might not know the upgrade tree exists if it's hidden away in an unused spot.

In the meantime wobuffet, press 'C' to 'center' it instead.

Ahh, but what if I wanted to Edit a unit's name even though it isn't promotion time: could that restriction be 'edited'? :)

Meanwhile, I really want those map pins that Seek revealed! :worship:

Left-clicking to center and right-clicking for other options (get more detailed information, open Civilopedia, dismiss notification, etc.) seems more consistent with the rest of the interface to me.

That said, if I'm the odd one out, I'm fine with learning to right-click instead. :)

I should have the tweaks whoward and I were working on finished by tomorrow. This is what the trees will look like:

I'm also going to experiment with replacing some promotion requirements with level requirements. March will require a level 4 unit, which can be reached from any combination of previous promotions. This will make alternate promotions like Survivalism more useful since we won't be forced down a standard 1-2-3 path.

Attachments

• Promotions.JPG
    Promotions.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,015
Why do scouts have the promotion for no movement penalties? Don't they have it already?

Recon I allows for other future promotions and, more importantly, is gold. Gold promotions are retained upon unit upgrade (Scout -> Levy), while silver ones (like the "Ignore terrain cost" that all Scouts get) are not.

Looks really good!

I'm also going to experiment with replacing some promotion requirements with level requirements. March will require a level 4 unit, which can be reached from any combination of previous promotions. This will make alternate promotions like Survivalism more useful since we won't be forced down a standard 1-2-3 path.

That'll make Range more appealing as you won't have to stop your progress towards Blitz.

Recon I allows for other future promotions and, more importantly, is gold. Gold promotions are retained upon unit upgrade (Scout -> Levy), while silver ones (like the "Ignore terrain cost" that all Scouts get) are not.

How do you know if a promotion is Gold or Silver? Does it say that somewhere? How do get into this screen in the first place I have yet to stumble accross it? (Maybe I'm not upgraded to the right version yet?)

You can access the promotion/upgrade trees on the dropdown menu attached to the diplomacy panel at the top-right of the screen, commonly called the "diplo corner." You can also see the upgrade tree by clicking a unit name, and the promotion tree by clicking the "choose promotion" text when a unit levels up.

Top Bottom