Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Creation & Customization > Civ4 - Project & Mod Development > Civ4 - BTS Unaltered Gameplay (BUG, BAT and BULL)

Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:08 PM   #1661
AFS
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorFool View Post
That requires a change to the DLL, and BULL (the BUG DLL) has the excess happiness and health plus a whole lot more in the hover text for the city bar. I rarely open the city screen anymore.
Oh, thank you, I had the feeling that this has already been done

Much appreciated
AFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1662
Netich
Chieftain

Having played 4 or 5 Civ5 games, i'm back to Civ4. One of the (many) reasons is your great work. Being used to BUG&BULL, i cant stand the lack of information in the interface of Civ5.
So the question is, are you going to further devolop it?

If yes, i have two small requests:

- Clickable buildings list in city screen (to civilopedia). And maybe some visual information that the building is obsolete (in the pop up, or with the name in other color maybe)

- Some visual hint in the map that a city has the 'avoid population growth' activated, and a message when a city can grow but has the limit on (happines>0). It is very annoying when you forget it, and discover that a city could have grow for some turns.

And again thanks for your work. Civ 4 is one or two steps closer to perfection becouse of you!
Netich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:32 AM   #1663
Lemon Merchant
Mod Grrl

You know, I was playing the other night and had an idea. It would be nice if there was an icon on the city bar that showed when a city could whip something. That way you wouldn't have to go into the city screen to see when the city was ready. I often miss the CivAlerts in all of the excitement when I'm playing.

I could probably do this myself, but I've become quite lazy busy of late...
Lemon Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1664
EmperorFool
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netich View Post
Being used to BUG&BULL, i cant stand the lack of information in the interface of Civ5.
You and me both.

Quote:
So the question is, are you going to further devolop it?
At some point, yes. I've been meaning to address this more formally lately as it's been a long time since I added any features, but I do want to keep working on it. Real life just has other designs on my time at the moment.

Quote:
Clickable buildings list in city screen (to civilopedia). And maybe some visual information that the building is obsolete (in the pop up, or with the name in other color maybe)
Great idea and should be easy to do.

Quote:
Some visual hint in the map that a city has the 'avoid population growth' activated, and a message when a city can grow but has the limit on (happines>0).
The city bar icon should be fairly easy. I'd just need a suitable icon. The alert is a little tougher only because I am halfway through rewriting Civ4lerts (again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Merchant View Post
It would be nice if there was an icon on the city bar that showed when a city could whip something.
This should also be pretty simple. Again, I'd need an icon for it.

These are all great suggestions! I wish I had the time to work on it right now.

BUG Mod - BTS Unaltered Gameplay
[ Forum | Download | FAQ | Known Issues | Troubleshooting | Modding Tutorial ]

BAT 3.0.1 QuickFix™ released Oct 24th
EmperorFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1665
Yaotlatoani
YaoCuauhtli

So far I haven't seen any changes on Scouts and Explorers. They should automatically have the sentry promotion so they can scout quicker and avoid danger.
Yaotlatoani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1666
EmperorFool
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaotlatoani View Post
So far I haven't seen any changes on Scouts and Explorers. They should automatically have the sentry promotion so they can scout quicker and avoid danger.
That would involve altering the gameplay rules which BUG does not do.

Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:51 AM   #1667
kossin
Deity

How feasible would it be to add a feature that would also add the turn number (as well as the current dates that are already included) to manual and automatic saves?

Or is there already a way to do this that I'm unaware of?
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:36 AM   #1668
ruff_hi
Live 4ever! Or die trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossin View Post
How feasible would it be to add a feature that would also add the turn number (as well as the current dates that are already included) to manual and automatic saves?
That should be dead simple. The HOF mapfinder creates a save name in python and then creates the save. The only hiccup might be that the 'default' is created in the exe and we cannot get at it via python.
ruff_hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 07:49 PM   #1669
EmperorFool
Deity

I doubt we can affect the regular autosave, but it should be doable by changing AutoSave.py in CustomAssets/Python/BUG.

Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:11 PM   #1670
AFS
Warlord

Hello. I think it would be a good idea if there is an option (or button, whatever that works best) to automate the city governor to stop growth when hittin the happy cap. It is really tedious to press/unpress the button for each city each time the happy cap changes. Just an idea.
AFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:50 PM   #1671
Worldsinger
Chieftain

Hi all. First, I want to say "Kudos!!!" to the hard-working modders who have made BUG, BULL & BAT such great mods to use!

I've been playing Civ IV for a long while and only recently added those mods and have found them really useful for my games - don't know how I lived without them before! With that said, I'd like to suggest something that would make BUG & BULL much easier to use. The reason I say that is that sometimes it's a little hard to figure out what something does or what an icon means, and the help files aren't always clear on what something does. An example is the colored circles in the BFC that show up when I left-click on the city bar. I had to dig around a bit here to find out what the colors meant & why they were there.

Those hover tool tips in the BUG Options screen do help in some cases, but it didn't in the colored circles, nor explained how to get those circles, which I only found by accident. So my suggestion is as follows:

Add screenshots showing the various screens that have had new info/changes and have hover tool tips over each icon/button/section explaining what it does/means and where to set it in the Options screens. For example, the main game interface would show every possible item, and if you wanted to know what one little icon in the advanced scoreboard means, hovering over it gives you the tool tip about it. Similar screenshots could be done for other screens, such as the Domestic Advisor, Espionage, the colored circles in the BFC, etc.

Perhaps these could be added as a separate Tutorial file which could be called up if needed. Or maybe a section of a screenshot could be added to each part of the BUG options screen showing what screen the option affects & with its own tool tips (perhaps as a clickable button to bring up that screenshot portion)?

These are just my ideas right off the bat as a fairly new user to BUG & BULL, but I do think that having something like this would make them much easier to use & understand without having to dig around for some of the info like I've had to with those colored circles. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all that much about whether it would be too hard to do this, but it seems to me something worth considering. Thanks for reading this far & keep up the great job, modders!
Worldsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1672
EmperorFool
Deity

We tried this early on by including a help file with BUG by hitting ALT + SHIFT + F1 if I recall correctly. This became quickly out of date as we added new features.

The problem is that many of the features required several hours to several days to build: discussion, code, configuration, options screen juggling, text, translations, etc. Creating a screen shot, updating the help file, etc. adds more time to it, meaning fewer features. Plus it's not so fun doing the help file.

I do agree though that those color circles in the BFC on the map are quite cryptic. One simple solution would be to include a description of why it is colored so in the hover text for the plot. When there is a build available, I believe I added the text for it. But the others such as needing a road for a resource or that the tile isn't worked but is improved, etc. aren't mentioned.

I'll keep this in mind if I return to Civ4 modding which I would really like to do.

Edit: That being said, if anyone wants to try their hand at being a technical writer, we'd gladly accept some help. You'd gain some valuable experience learning a well-paying skill you could put to use in your career.

Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1673
Handel
Prince

What I find useful to have is when unhappy face expire (from the whip, draft etc) so I can release the growth again. Or maybe put in other way - there should be a message when city with stopped growth gets more happy then unhappy faces.
Handel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:56 PM   #1674
K.Murx
Warlord

Inspired by this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449451

Basically, unit selection, especially late-game sucks. It's slow and inconsistent. Can it be fixed? And would that be a subject for BUG/BULL?

I happen to have a bit of free time in January, and would offer to look into it myself - some C++/python practice never hurts. Anyone here knows what would be required, and where I should start looking?

Last edited by K.Murx; Dec 20, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
K.Murx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:32 PM   #1675
ruff_hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Murx View Post
Inspired by this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449451

Basically, unit selection, especially late-game sucks. It's slow and inconsistent. Can it be fixed? And would that be a subject for BUG/BULL?

I happen to have a bit of free time in January, and would offer to look into it myself - some C++/python practice never hurts. Anyone here knows what would be required, and where I should start looking?
Which part of that thread in particular? We added a BUG unit interface with significantly speeds up the game when dealing with large number of units.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:50 PM   #1676
K.Murx
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff_hi View Post
Which part of that thread in particular? We added a BUG unit interface with significantly speeds up the game when dealing with large number of units.
My post, then issues are mentioned by ahcos and vicawoo. And is that feature in the "stable" version (or rather, what was stable roughly dive months ago)? Because on my system, it still takes about a second to select, e.g., 30 infantry during the late ages.
K.Murx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:21 PM   #1677
ruff_hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Murx View Post
And is that feature in the "stable" version (or rather, what was stable roughly dive months ago)? Because on my system, it still takes about a second to select, e.g., 30 infantry during the late ages.
Yes, it is in the stable version. Open the BUG options, then the 'Plot List' tab and change 'Draw Method' to BUG.

It is slow because it redraws the entire unit plot list after every click ... unit icon, select highlight, promo highlight, can upgrade, current action, GG star, etc. We changed the code so that it keeps track of what is currently on the screen and only draws / hides the things that change.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:29 AM   #1678
·Imhotep·
Legendary Builder

A counter for the upcoming resolution/secretary votes displayed in the main interface would be nice. I know Cybah has done it for his BASE mod...
Finished: DMI series: DMI II - The Tale of Snaga (Space Race Victory as Vassal of Roosevelt !) , DMI III - Casanova (1832 AD Diplo Win) , DMI IV - the Grand Line (1635 AD Conquest Win on Emperor) , DMI V - Fata Morgana (2024 AD Conquest Win Emperor True AW) , DMI VI - The Mearas (~1900 AD Diplo Win @Monarch), DMI VII - Celebrity Deathmatch , DMI VIII - The War of Wrath , DMI IX - The Vampire Lord and the Tower of Mastery (FfH2) , DMI X - A noble way to Deity , DMI XI - Hyborem's Whisper (FfH2) , DMI XII - Imhotep's Legacy , DMI XIII - The CTON, DMI XIV - The Code of Junil (FfH), DMI XV - Gorgeous Cathy (BULL Mod) (currently on hold)

"Choice. The problem is choice." (Neo)
·Imhotep· is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1679
anticommunist

For the BULL mod, I think having an option that will toggle between the city bar display colours from indicator of the growth status of the city (which it is now) and the civilisation colour would be nice.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:53 AM   #1680
Handel
Prince

Is it possible a reminder to be set and a message to be shown when AI civ acquire a certain tech? I can see through espionage when an AI research the tech I am interested in, but I need to check the tech adviser to look if it disappeared from the list of the techs the AI would buy (which means it already bought or exchanged it)?

Edit: Also when I choose a civic on the civic screen it shows how much the upkeep will cost; is it possible to show the main numbers from the financial adviser screen too? Will it increase the beakers/commerce/hammers/units upkeep etc. You can count them manually so this should not be a game changer.

Last edited by Handel; May 29, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Handel is offline   Reply With Quote