Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Macintosh

Old May 07, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1
lindsay40k
King

Finally got into Civ 4!

Three years ago: 'oh man, my min spec Intel iMac is never gonna run this'

Three years and a Steam sale later: 'dammit I could've run this three years ago, works fine until a large map hits Renaissance and gets really busy'

I mostly play semi-friendly private games on Gamespy. Any mods people can recommend me check out?

edit: nice to find my favourite BTS leaders - Hannibal, Boudica, Mansa Musa and Pericles - are pretty powerful
lindsay40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
s.bernbaum
Mostly lurking

Welcome to the CIV world. I picked up CIV when it first came out for Mac in 2006. As long as I kept all the graphics set to low and most of the sound off, I could even play on large maps, although the game got rather slow in the late game, on my 2006 Mac Mini.

If you are playing BTS, I recommend BUG mod. It really improves the UI, without affecting game play. Although it slows down the initial loading of the game on an older Mac, it doesn't make a major difference in game speed during play.

Take a look at the mods sticky at the top of this Mac forum for a list of the mods that people have found work with a Mac. For some of them, you will have to set the ini to not load CustomAssets for it to work properly. The only one that I have played is Final Frontier, which I like.
s.bernbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2012, 07:47 AM   #3
lindsay40k
King

Yeah, in my circle of friends I've introduced to Civ we're trying to get History Rewritten to work. Like the idea of more resources, plus Hannibal seems a bit more characterful and a bit less overpowered
lindsay40k is offline   Reply With Quote