Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old May 12, 2012, 05:17 AM   #1
FridoDiamond
Chieftain

The Byzantine Empire

What about the Byzantines? It's the only civ that we don't know so much, we know they'll have the Dromon and they get also a bonus belief as UA (but I think that it is not the only ability they have) Any Speculations? Here's mine:
UA: Nova Roma: You get a Bonus belief and you also get a free Great Prophet when you enter the Medieval Era
UU: Dromon
UB: Hippodrome (instead of Amphiteathre) it gives a +2 Happiness bonus
FridoDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Montov
King

Hippodrome should also provide bonuses for horse units, like 15XP, or double the amount of horses in this city.
And a UA besides the 6th Belief could very well be something with a Great Prophet, to make sure Byzantine get a religion or the 6th Belief.
Montov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 06:33 AM   #3
oliver
Chieftain

It seems as if everyone been talking about every civ except the Byzantines
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Camikaze
Deity

That's probably because we don't know all that much about them.

We haven't even seen the Theodora leaderscreen (though we have seen the icon).
Old May 12, 2012, 06:49 AM   #5
apocalypse105
Deity

I hope their unique ability is more then just a extra believe slot seems a little bit weak compared to the other new civs
apocalypse105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Alexastor
Warlord

I'm hoping for Cataphracts as Knight replacements.
Alexastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

I hope it's not the Hippodrome. That makes no sense to give them unless they have Cataphracts (which they won't if they have the Hippodrome since they already have the Dromon). A Cataphract makes the most sense far and away and is only limited by the significant amount of Knight UUs. Verangian Guard is ok, but they weren't actually the best of fighters. I'd prefer a Basilica over a Hippodrome if they're getting a building.

Still, I suspect the 27th unit belongs to the Byzantines.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Art Grin
Emperor

I think the Byzantines will be a 2 UU civ and I really hope we'll some info on them soon. I think the Dromon will replace the Gelleas and the Cataphract, if he is added, could be a Knight replacement.
Art Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

That's what I tend to believe too. I've suggested making the Cataphract a Knight that has a combat bonus against infantry (at least pre-gunpowder infantry). It would still not be spectacular against Pikemen, but it would destroy Longswordsmen. When I mentioned this idea, another poster pointed out that some other game apparently had the same idea, so I'm at least not alone.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Art Grin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XXIV View Post
That's what I tend to believe too. I've suggested making the Cataphract a Knight that has a combat bonus against infantry (at least pre-gunpowder infantry). It would still not be spectacular against Pikemen, but it would destroy Longswordsmen. When I mentioned this idea, another poster pointed out that some other game apparently had the same idea, so I'm at least not alone.
I think Byzantine cataphracts in Age of Empire 2 had the bonus you mention. Such a bonus in Civ5 would be nice and would suit the image of the cataphract smashing and running over helpless infantry.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Scaramanga
King

Wondering if they will get European music or Middle-Eastern, or both? Maybe Mediterranean city art with Middle-Eastern music.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #12
seasnake
Conquistador

I think I like the idea of The Church of Constantinople as their UA, with the Bonus Belief and a free Great Prophet when research Theology.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:20 AM   #13
Haig
Emperor

Funny enough Byzantine is one of my most anticipated Civs even though it's the one with the least bit of info released. It was my traditional choice in Civ III because of their super ber cool Dromon ships, and I'm excited to get them now too.

In the new achievement descriptions, there's an achievement for Dromons, but no other mentions for Byzantine units. So either there won't be a second UU for it, or there's just no such achievement or they haven't released all achievements.

A possible 2nd UU could be also Varangians or Varangian guard, elite units used by byzantine empire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

There's norwegian ski infantry with Denmark and Hakkapeliitta units with Sweden (although they were more swedish than finnish I think) so I wouldt be surprised to get them for Byzantines.

Personally I hope for an Unique Building, but who knows.
Haig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 02:11 AM   #14
Montov
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haig View Post

In the new achievement descriptions, there's an achievement for Dromons, but no other mentions for Byzantine units. So either there won't be a second UU for it, or there's just no such achievement or they haven't released all achievements.
There is only 1 specific achievement for a civ. For example, France needs to kill an enemy with a Musketeer flanked by 2 other Musketeers. There is no achievement for the Foreign Legion.
Montov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:02 AM   #15
Art Grin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haig View Post
A possible 2nd UU could be also Varangians or Varangian guard, elite units used by byzantine empire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard
Varagians could be longswordsman replacement and as far as I remember there's currently only one in-game (Samurai), which would make them stand out more than knight replacement. Personally I still hope for the Cataphract to make a return, even though there are already several knight replacements.
I really wonder what the Byzantine second unique thing will be and whether their UA is more than just an extra belief.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:05 AM   #16
Eagle Pursuit
Scir-Gerefa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Grin View Post
Varagians could be longswordsman replacement and as far as I remember there's currently only one in-game (Samurai), which would make them stand out more than knight replacement. Personally I still hope for the Cataphract to make a return, even though there are already several knight replacements.
I really wonder what the Byzantine second unique thing will be and whether their UA is more than just an extra belief.
The Denmark Berserker is also a Longswordsman replacement IIRC.
Eagle Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:34 AM   #17
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

It would also blend in a lot since there's quite a lot of similarities between Berzerkers and the Varangian Guard.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:56 AM   #18
Art Grin
Emperor

Oops..totally forgot about the Danish Berserk. The two would indeed be a very similar unit and not all too unique.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:25 AM   #19
KillingMeSoftly
Warlord

Byzantines are the Civ that I'm looking most forward to, especially because of their semi-controversial leader. Dromon will be interesting and so will be the additional belief. Like others, I wonder if the Byzantines will have more to their UA -- otherwise it seems a little lacklustre. But this is also from the perspective from not having played with religion, so who knows! Recently there was a list posted of all the units seen so far, 26 out of 27 accounted for. Since we know little of the Byzantine, it's no surprise we're speculating the final unit will be a Cataphract (Knight replacement) or Varangian Guard (Longswordmen replacement). Personally, I'm hoping for Cataphracts.

Perhaps they're saving the best for last!
KillingMeSoftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

Do you know what would be useful? Guaranteed religion. Say there are 8 civs. If three religions are founded, the Byzantines automatically get a Great Prophet. That way, they're guaranteed to get a use out of their ability. However, they'll have to "pick last" so there's still an incentive to pursue faith.