Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - Technical Support

Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
thilly1
Chieftain

God's and Kings black screen at start

When I got Civ 5, I had the problem where it would launch to a black screen and remain that way. I fixed it by editing the .ini file to skip the intro video and never had a problem again. Now I installed the expansion and am having the same problem again, even though I still have skipintrovideo=1. What could be causing this? Does the expansion have a seperate intro video I need to tell it to skip?

Any help would be appreciated, since I got both the game and expansion through steam and because of this I cannot install the game stand alone. Which basically means I can't play even vanilla any more.
thilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

There's indeed something going on with the intros, but not sure if it's related to your problem.
You might try to delete the .wmv files in Civ5s root directory, maybe that will fix the problem.

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:27 PM   #3
thilly1
Chieftain

I tried that as well, no luck unfortunately. So this is a known issue?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Semprini
Chieftain

Hi!

I think the problem is with Nvidia 304.48 driver... rollback to 302.80 wok for me!

regards
Semprini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
dshirk
Firaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilly1 View Post
When I got Civ 5, I had the problem where it would launch to a black screen and remain that way. I fixed it by editing the .ini file to skip the intro video and never had a problem again. Now I installed the expansion and am having the same problem again, even though I still have skipintrovideo=1. What could be causing this? Does the expansion have a seperate intro video I need to tell it to skip?

Any help would be appreciated, since I got both the game and expansion through steam and because of this I cannot install the game stand alone. Which basically means I can't play even vanilla any more.
You will actually need to kill two different sets of movies if you're having a codec problem.

Delete all the .wmv's you see in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\

And delete the .wmv as well as the .wma's in this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion\

Let me know if this corrects the problem for you.

Out of curiousity, could you post a DXDIAG so I can take a look?

Thanks.
dshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
MadMatt
Chieftain

I had the exact same blank screen problem. I tried disabling the intro video, removing the movies as suggested above (all that did was make the game hang on the static image loading screen instead of the blank screen) and even playing in windowed mode.

What finally did it was updating my ATI Catalyst drivers to the latest version and restarting

Mind you there are still glitches, apparently some terrain is not rendering properly. Will see if it's playable. Vanilla version worked okay as late as yesterday.
MadMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
thilly1
Chieftain

What Semprini suggested worked. Thanks all!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Morningcalm
Emperor

My ATI card is upgraded, but G + K is still getting black screens at the start, and G+K still crashes---it might just be the laptop though, my startup screens are taking longer to load since the first crash, so maybe it's overheating?
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
-Albert Einstein

Currently Reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Morningcalm is offline   Reply With Quote