Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:08 PM   #481
Siriuskar
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andulias View Post
Ok mate, if someone would please upload her lines on something other than GrooveShark, I will translate her lines from scratch. Like I said, I don't like the wording of several of her anyways.
I've found them in my game files (...Steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization V/assets/DLC/Expansion/Sounds/Speech/Shared/Theresa for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guandao View Post
We're still missing a couple of Maria Theresa's lines.

I see you admire my new damask... is actually her request line not her peaceful line
Think I've found it:
MariaTheresa Peaceful: 'Ich hoffe, ihr seid nun zufrieden. All das Getue, und nichts dahinter wie es scheint.' (I hope you are now content. All that fuss, and it seems nothing (came of it).)

hope I got it down correctly. feel free to suggest a better translation, 'specially for that last bit...

Last edited by Siriuskar; Jun 29, 2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: formatting line
Siriuskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:40 AM   #482
jinzou
Chieftain

@Morningcalm I updated my posts with the translations of Darius and Dido, can you please update their posts on the first page too?
Also; Igor, Slvynn and anyone else who has any experience with Hebrew can you try and help me with the missing parts?

Perhaps Attila's lines sound so awkward to Chuvash speakers because they tried to make him sound archaic, like they did with some other leaders?
jinzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:30 AM   #483
Andulias
A Stranger on a Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriuskar View Post
I've found them in my game files (...Steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization V/assets/DLC/Expansion/Sounds/Speech/Shared/Theresa for me).

Think I've found it:
MariaTheresa Peaceful: 'Ich hoffe, ihr seid nun zufrieden. All das Getue, und nichts dahinter wie es scheint.' (I hope you are now content. All that fuss, and it seems nothing (came of it).)

hope I got it down correctly. feel free to suggest a better translation, 'specially for that last bit...
Maybe "I hope you are now content. All that fuss was apparently for nothing"? It's not a literal translation, but it's the closest I could think of without sounding completely idiotic in English

Oh, and please fix the Attacked line.

Last edited by Andulias; Jun 29, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Andulias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:54 PM   #484
Siriuskar
Chieftain

Quote:
Maybe "I hope you are now content. All that fuss was apparently for nothing"? It's not a literal translation, but it's the closest I could think of without sounding completely idiotic in English
sounds good to me. it's a difficult one to translate, but hopefully that captures the right tone.

also, just to be super-picky, I've noticed in-game that the end of Maria Theresa's Request line is '...Treffen wir eine Abmachung' instead of 'ein Abkommen' - both are synonyms though so there's no harm done. and something as simple as 'Let's make a deal' could cover both the alternatives Patruso gives in his translation.
Siriuskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:07 PM   #485
Armuti
Chieftain

Attila...
Quote:
XML contains the following line: "You are in the presence of Attila, scourge of Rome. Do not let hubris be your downfall as well." So the unclear part might be "scourge of Rome" (note that Attila was actually called "the Scourge of God", not "scourge of Rome")
After I read that it took me ten replays to actually get it
Rim hulin inkek-sinkekĕ.
wrong [ə'rːemxuˈlʲen ˈinkːek sinkːeˈke]
correct [ˈrim ɣuˈlɨnʲ inˈgek sinˈgegɘ]
The misfortunes of the city of Rome. Wrong usage, wrong syntax, wrong articulation. Why this clunky double noun? In Chuvash, too, you could use pušă "scourge" figuratively.

The discovery led me to identify all the wrong-doings in another sentence:
Quote:
My people will mourn me not with tears but with the blood of men.
Manăn halăh mana kuşşulĕ mar, şyn junĕpe hujhărsa makărasšăn-i?

Wrong usage: hujhărsa makăr 'cry grieving' for 'mourn' which is hühle
wrong mana 'me' accusative, correct man şince on me (in Chuvash: man şince hühle - literally 'me on mourn').
Wrong syntax: kuşşulĕ mar şyn junĕpe correct: kuşşulĕpe mar, şyn junĕpe - the translator may be from Turkey as it is possible in a similar Turkish structure to skip case-endings of the homogenous sentence parts.
And of course off-course pronunciation (many Turkish linguists pronounce Chuvash with similar mistakes):
wrong ...[ˈsɯn junʲɘˈpe xuˈsra makəˈsrasəni]...
correct ...['ɕɨn junʲɘ'be xujɣərˈzа magəˈraʂːənɨ]] cf. voicing
Wrong grammar: wrong: makărasšan 'willing to cry' correct makărĕ 'will cry'
And of course, this isn't a question, so -i? (a question particle) - mustn't be used.

There's one more sentence i deciphered:
Jyhrava jyšănnă - The invitation accepted. (I accept the declaration of war). Wrong words, wrong tone, missing sounds = no comprendo.

Finally, I am 100% done with this.

Last edited by Armuti; Jun 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: i guess i was half-asleep and let some mistake slip
Armuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:11 PM   #486
Morningcalm
Emperor

Wow, I feel like I stepped into a graduate course on Chuvash. Very interesting! Thanks for all your contributions, guys. Updated first post, let me know if anything is missing.

Also, I'm unsure quite how to format the Attila section. Suggestions? Does it look as gloppy as the Civ V UI? Or is it ok?
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
-Albert Einstein

Currently Reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Morningcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:00 AM   #487
ariston2
Chieftain

Hello guys, I'm so sorry for making so long to finish Theodora's translations but I have been very busy. At this moment I'm starting translating the rest of her lines. Stay tuned. Also I would like to point out that Theodora is speaking Medieval Greek found in Greek Orthodox chants. She has a modern greek pronounciation which is the same as the medieval. Her line though, when you first meet her is somewhat bad written and doesn't make much sense. Also the problem when translating is also the fact that after Koine , Greek have gone under the effect of iotakism ( all "i"s sound the same ) and also the loss of diphtongs. But many medieval and ancient words sound totaly the same after that , even though they are writen differently, so it's hard to recognise what they are saying. In the last 3-4(maybe more) centuries this problem has almost perished since vocabulary has been adjusted to the greek pronounciation.

Last edited by ariston2; Jun 30, 2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added some more info
ariston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:04 AM   #488
ariston2
Chieftain

Could someone give me a hint as where to find that TXT files so I can check out better her lines?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:49 AM   #489
ariston2
Chieftain

Theodora's lines (part 2)

Intro : Ω μων οπίων θαύμα! Ποιον όνομα επί μοι σε ο καλός ξένος; Είμαι η Θεοδόρα, η φίλη του Βυζαντίου. (O mon opion thavma! Pion onoma epi mi se o kalos ksenos. Ime i Theodora, i fili tou Vyzantiou.) Oh! A miracle in front of my eyes (something like that maybe). What is the name of(maybe) the good stranger? I am Theodora, friend of Byzantium.

Neutral Hello : Μέλλιμα (?).(Melima).Sweet.

Neutral Letshearit 1 : Έθελες τι; (Etheles ti?) Did you want something?

Neutral Letshearit 2 : Ακούω. (Akouo) I'm listening

Neutral Letshearit 3 : Ναι, φίλτατος; (Ne filtatos?) Yes, my friend? (bad grammar, it should be filtate)

Neutral No 1: Ου δ'ίππου (?) . (Ou th'ippou) Not even with a horse (?) ( In modern greek we say not even with bullets which means No way)

Neutral No 2: Δει υμάς απωθείν . (Thi imas apothin). It's needed to repel you.

Neutral No 3: Αθύμως ούκ . (Athimos ouk) . Reluctantly, no.

Neutral Yes 1: Δι'ίππου φίλε. (Thi'ippou file). With a horse my friend(Right away?). (Again in modern greek we say "with a thousand mph" which means "right away", but I may have translated it wrong)

Neutral Yes 2: Ομολογείται. (Omologite) Agreed

Neutral Yes 3: Άριστα (Arista) . Perfect

Peaceful: Λέξω ότι τούτω ούτος τερπνόν ήν, ημών ομολογεί; Εγώ δει πολύ ήδομαι νικείν ( Lekso oti touto outos terpnon in , imon omologi? Ego thi poly idomen ikin). I'd say this was so delightfull, don't you agree? I must say, winning satisfies me so much

Request : Ήκουσα σε πρέποντα ταις αλλοτρίας ομιλίας...Με δείξας (Ikousa se preponta tes allotrias omilias...me diksas) I heard nice things from you in your latest sayings...show me. (Again her sentences are so wrong grammaticaly that it's hard to make sense)

Last edited by ariston2; Jul 01, 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Corrected some mistakes.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:57 AM   #490
ariston2
Chieftain

I feel like all of her sayings should be redone cause they are so badly translated :P And Alexander's too. He should say "Chaire ksene" not "Chaire gedee" , gedee is not even a word in ancient , modern or any greek.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:07 AM   #491
Guandao
King

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\en_US\Lea derDialog
Here's where XML files for Theodora's dialogue are.

This is the line closest to her Peaceful: I'd say that was quite enjoyable, wouldn't you agree? I do ever so much love winning.

So, I was right about her request line

Hey, ariston2, can you translate the rest of Alexander's dialogue (particularly Peaceful, Attacked, and DeclaresWar) or are they butchered beyond recognition.

It's a shame they didn't do the Greek lines too well. They did the Latin lines right.
Guandao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:17 AM   #492
Guandao
King

Here's the voice actors for the expansion leaders:

Maria Theresa-Sabina Chalupa (she has her own site, voice coach, born in Vienna)

Theodora-Artemis Lagopoulos

Dido-Julie Fainer

Boudicca- Sion Rees Williams

William- Ilari Hoevenaars

Haile Selassie- Girma Asefa

Attila-Vitali (it is a Russian name...)

Pacal: Jorge Perera Brito

Gustavus Adolphus-Emil Winkler

Sadly, Nebuchadnezzar, Genghis Khan, Isabella, Pachacuti, Kamehameha, Harald Bluetooth, Sejong remain uncredited...
Guandao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:27 AM   #493
Andulias
A Stranger on a Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guandao View Post
Here's the voice actors for the expansion leaders:

Maria Theresa-Sabina Chalupa (she has her own site, voice coach, born in Vienna)

Theodora-Artemis Lagopoulos

Dido-Julie Fainer

Boudicca- Sion Rees Williams

William- Ilari Hoevenaars

Haile Selassie- Girma Asefa

Attila-Vitali (it is a Russian name...)

Pacal: Jorge Perera Brito

Gustavus Adolphus-Emil Winkler

Sadly, Nebuchadnezzar, Genghis Khan, Isabella, Pachacuti, Kamehameha, Harald Bluetooth, Sejong remain uncredited...
Where do you get this information

Oh, and last I heard we do know who voiced Kamehameha, I am pretty certain in fact that someone from CFC (MorningCalm?) contacted him directly. The actor was someone working at the University of Hawai.
Andulias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:28 PM   #494
Red Khan
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinzou View Post
Perhaps Attila's lines sound so awkward to Chuvash speakers because they tried to make him sound archaic, like they did with some other leaders?
People at Lingvoforums said that it is modern Chuvash, or rather crippled modern Chuvash,
Quote:
with all the relatively recent phonetic changes, no attempt at reconstruction was even made
Quote:
Where do you get this information
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Text\CIV5Credi ts_en_US.txt Look under "Cast" section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningcalm View Post
Wow, I feel like I stepped into a graduate course on Chuvash.
I think I won't give away a big secret saying that Armuti is reflejo2 on Youtube and is a Turkologist specializing in Chuvash, a scholar at university in Cheboksary, the capital of Chuvashia. And a native speaker, of course.

I'm actually wondering why they failed to do the same logical chain as the did for Hawaiian language: Hawaiian is spoken in Hawaii>the capital of Hawaii is Honolulu>find a university in Honolulu which has department studying Hawaiian. You can use the same logical steps for Chuvash, and you even don't need to leave English Wikipedia to find out the name of the university!

Last edited by Red Khan; Jun 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Red Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:50 AM   #495
Slvynn
Duke Vector fon Pixel

@jinzou
i'll try to dig some missing Dido speech if i'll get enough time...

Try Dune Wars All Your Spice Belongs to Us!
Slvynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:30 AM   #496
ariston2
Chieftain

@Guandao Thank you! Now that I've read the XMLs I can correct some mistakes.

It's true. There is a 2 thousand years gap between modern and ancient greek so the way of speaking and the words are different. Though we can understand some things. Especially if it is as simple as Alexander's intro. Also they made Alexander's sayings according to a scientific theory about ancient pronounciaciot but nobody could say how they spoke at that time....
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:40 AM   #497
ariston2
Chieftain

Can I have Alexander's sayings in audio form so I can check them , anyone?
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:05 AM   #498
ariston2
Chieftain

Ok found them. Having an English speaker or any other European speak greek for you is the worst choice you could do. Pronunciation has to be very very clear to sound normal. Only Spanish could speak greek like Greeks.
Other than that I tried to understand what he was saying but I could not. He is using the erasmian pronounciation which is annoying and probably wrong but he has also a bad accent even for that :P
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:35 AM   #499
Red Khan
Chieftain

Added changes by Armuti to my Attila's post.

@Armuti Can you have a look and clear out the lines that have two variants (Attacked, HateNo01, HateNo03 and particularly Intro)

@Morningcalm Almost all words are deciphered, so you can delete the line "potentially words from another language (or gibberish)." from the first post.
And please update Suleiman's transcription and translation according to Wikia, transription in your post are not exactly correct and translation their is better.
Red Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:37 AM   #500
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningcalm View Post
Alexander is speaking badly translated Koine Greek, and modern Greeks have said he's not speaking modern Greek.
Actually, I think he's speaking Attic Greek. There was a discussion of this previously, but the pronunciation is a giveaway. For example, Attic Greek pronounced Theta like it was a T, not a Th. Alexander says θεων like "Teon" rather than "theon." I'm pretty sure Koine Greek uses the modern convention instead.