The farm crash bug

Anyway, since the fix is coming in Fall, and there's still some time before that, I decided to actually make an attempt at custom Farms.

This is my result:

I managed to make these farms, and they look quite nice. They are not as nice as Firaxis' farms though, so we can still wait eagerly for an official fix. There's also some issues with it, like crossing over rivers and so... but still works for a workaround.

Download Farm Model Fix for Farm Crash Bug.

Great new farm :)
I will just say this, since i'm a perfectionist (i in no way want to take away from your work).
Your farm house .dds texture had no mipmaps at all, which causes the texture to flicker and be generally grainy and noisy since the game tries to render the different details in the texture with only 10 or so pixels on screen (since you play zoomed out compared to how detailed the texture is).

This is a very important thing to always ensure you check "Generate Mipmaps" in the .dds save dialogue for pretty much any texture, for any game. It creates smaller and smaller versions of the same texture that are used and switched between as the object gets further away form the player viewpoint.
It's a method used in all games and results in smooth textures that also use less memory as it never needs to be more detailed than the pixels available to render the object! (zoomed out, less pixels available, less detail needed)

I took it upon myself to fix your textures by just letting nvidias .dds save dialogue generate the mipmaps. Looks much much better ingame, blends better with the rest of the textures.
I also don't know which settings you saved those textures with, but now the new size is down from 250kb per file to 42kb per file. Enjoy!
(I don't know jack about modding in objects and textures, but i do know 2d texturing!:))

See the attachment

Attachments

• Farm Fix dds-fix.rar
    82.3 KB · Views: 267
Great! I updated the Farm Model file with Baleur's fixes.

Today's patch notes!

Code:
Fixed a crash that could occur when users try to replace a farm with another improvement (like a Holy Place, Manufactory, etc.).

On a side note, lol:

Code:
Venice can no longer annex cities through the Strategic View.

Today's patch notes!

Code:
Fixed a crash that could occur when users try to replace a farm with another improvement (like a Holy Place, Manufactory, etc.).

On a side note, lol:

Code:
Venice can no longer annex cities through the Strategic View.

So they fix the farm crash and then don't update the DLL source so mods can take advantage of it? :confused: Seems totally logical to me. :sarcasm:

AFAIK, if we couldn't fix it, it's because it was not related to the DLL.

But I suppose/hope we'll get an update to the source for the other changes.

AFAIK, if we couldn't fix it, it's because it was not related to the DLL.

But I suppose/hope we'll get an update to the source for the other changes.

From what I remember it was a very low-level memory issue. It might be worth it to test if it crashes with the 'old' dll and the new exe.

I have tested the Farm Crash, and it's dead. No crash happened today :)

However, it'd be great if more of you guys tested it, just to be sure.

It was inbetween turns just before rennaisance. I'm pretty sure it wasn't spy related as all of the mods that I use have spy names. However, it could be a result of the text problems that the patch has caused in a lot of the mods I use. I'm going to do a playthrough with a farm replacement and see what happens.

After the patch, no custom DLLs.

OK, try doing it with a DLL using This Modcomp and no other changes (note you'll have to merge the source changes manually, that modcomp was made in GAK days). Then when it crashes I (or anyone else who goes and compiles it) can look and see if it is at all related to improvements.

Edit: I've done the source merge for you, just add the attached DLL to your mod and it will create the minidump if/when it crashes

Attachments

• CvGameCore_Expansion2.7z
    1 MB · Views: 255
I've just tried this out with the mod I'm working on and no crash! :D :D

Side note: My mod includes a custom DLL. However, whether or not a mod includes a DLL shouldn't affect whether or not the farm bug is fixed. The farm crash bug is (was!) caused by a bug in the graphics DLL, which we don't have the source code for. If the farm crash bug were fixable via the gameplay DLL (which we have the source for), then I don't doubt one of us would have implemented a proper fix some time ago.

OK, try doing it with a DLL using This Modcomp and no other changes (note you'll have to merge the source changes manually, that modcomp was made in GAK days). Then when it crashes I (or anyone else who goes and compiles it) can look and see if it is at all related to improvements.

Edit: I've done the source merge for you, just add the attached DLL to your mod and it will create the minidump if/when it crashes

Loaded up the save again and got the same crash. Where do I find the minidump?

I had a look at net_message_debug and this was the last few commands that went through:

Spoiler :
[2346.910] DBG: UpdateMoves() : player 18 Hiawatha running AutoMission (NO_MISSIONAI) on Caravan id=458778
[2346.910] DBG: CheckPlayerTurnDeactivate() : auto-moves complete for Hiawatha
[2346.910] DBG: changeNumGameTurnActive(-1) m_iNumActive=0 : setTurnActive() for player Hiawatha
[2346.910] DBG: changeNumGameTurnActive(1) m_iNumActive=1 : setTurnActive() for player 19 TXT_KEY_KINGDOM_OF_JERUSALEM_LS_MOD_BALDWIN_IV_DESC

Top Bottom