Rodrigo's Emperor Series

Tried your best, but your technological isolation for the first few millennia put you at a huge disadvantage. The AIs are a lot sharper than the Civ3 ones and Greece never gave up its size and military advantages. That vassal-state option meant Greece could tame all of your natural geographic allies. Possibly a much more aggressive spy game in the 1500s might've brought you up to par.

Possibly a much more aggressive spy game in the 1500s might've brought you up to par.

Actually I stole a lot of Techs from Monty during the game, he was the most advanced militarily during most of the game until he was vassalized by the Greeks. I almost picked up in Tech, I was the second (after Monty) to have rifles, but after everyone was vassalized by Alexander, then they all shared techs and isolated me, then I fell in disgrace.

It surprised me how fast Monty lost battle against the Greeks, Monty had rifles and cavalry while the Greeks still had middle ages units... but plenty of them. That makes me think that the AI is not very good using technological superiority, the AI attack is based in quantity, not strategy. That's why I could hold on militarily until the Diplo defeat came.

Anyway, it was a very challenging game because my geographical position... not many fights, but lots of planning.

Next I will play the BOTM that is up now, which is in Emperor difficulty as well... how convenient :D

A new Emperor game begins, and this time it is also the Game of the Month (BOTM), which you can find here

The settings for this game are:

Spoiler :
Scope of the Game:

Civilization: Japan - Unique Unit: Samurai(replaces Maceman). Unique Building: Shale Plant (replaces coal plant)
Leader: Tokugawa
Difficulty: Emperor
Map size: Small
Map Script: Tectonics
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Rivals:10 AIs
Victory conditions: All enabled
World wrapCylindrical
Submissions due by February 22, 2013
PLEASE NOTE THE DATE.

It is year 4000BC, the dawn of time for the Japanese Empire, our settlers stands before lots of food and stone, a promising start.

Spoiler :

After japanese warriors do some exploration, we move our Settler NW, to leave space for a future city SE. We find a pleasent surprise, Rice fields on the footsteps of Kyoto

Spoiler :

Production in Kyoto goes Work boat-Work boat-Worker, while our people begin learning the art of Mining. Very soon neighboring civilizations send emissaries to meet us. First we meet the Mayans, then the Carthaginians and the English.

Spoiler :

In a crowded world, getting strategic resources will be crucial, we begin learning about Bronze Working as soon as we can, our explorers find rich deposits of Copper to the South, close to the Mayan Lands. It will be crucial to take control of those before the Mayans find out about them.

Spoiler :

It does not take long until more foreigners come roaming our lands: Mongolians, Spaniards and those from a so-called Holy Roman Empire come, they all covet our land, the greed is evident in their eyes. It will take a while until we connect that copper resource, in the meantime we need Defense against barbarians and other non-welcomed visitors. We hurry learning about Hunting and Archery.

Thanks to the revenue that Clam commerce creates in Kyoto, our spending in research is not bad, soon our people learn about Mysticism and Animal Husbandry, luckily we also spot Horses SE of Kyoto, it seems it was wise to leave that spot for a city, but getting the Copper resource is more important.

Finally, by 2200 BC our settlers arrive to the Copper deposits to the SW, the city of Osaka is founded.

Spoiler :

Now our objective is getting the other copper resource before the Mayans, but unfortunately new Settlers go out of Kyoto few turns too late, Pacal has placed a city near the remaining Copper resource. As Carthaginians are also expanding quick to our West, we place a city there, connecting Osaka and Kyoto. By 1800BC Tokyo is founded.

Spoiler :

In the meantime our poeple has learned Agriculture and Pottery. Cottages will be useful for our economy, for research and warfare. At last, by 1600 BC bronze is produced in high quantities in the Japanese Empires, soon our Warriors will have the best equipment of their Era.

But Pacal seems not to understand the message, playing the fool he has sent Settlers to invade the lands South of Kyoto; a silly attempt to take control of our Stone deposits and the herds of Horses that dwell until now free.

Spoiler :

By year 825 BC the inevitable happens. The Japanese-Mayan War begins, it is time for Pacal to pay for his greedy attitude.

Spoiler :

After taking Chichen Itza our troops march strong to the South, our target is Lakamha, a very important city for the Mayans: due its mines of copper, and also religious center of Judaism. By 725BC, Japanese Infantry marches victorius on Lakamha.

Spoiler :

By 600 BC, after two centuries of war, our troops arrive to the doorsteps of Mutal, the only Mayan remaining city, and only refuge of Pacal.

Spoiler :

After all that insolence, it is the time for Pacal to go down.

Spoiler :

Good start so far, got a civ knocked out early. I assume you'll attack Carthage or England next?

Good start so far, got a civ knocked out early. I assume you'll attack Carthage or England next?

Thanks, the war against the Mayans turned out very profitable: We had little military losses, we got three cities (one of them religious shrine, another with the Oracle), we got a couple of workers, and the cherry on top was a Great General.

English or Carthaginians? we'll see which one is weaker. Churchill is Protective so he'll have Garrison II Archers defending his cities, and Hannibal's Numidian Cavalry is tough. Catapults will be necessary for next invasions.

After the conquest of the Mayan territory around 600BC a period of peace followed. Cities grew, infrastructure was built, and research progressed. Our advanced technics for Horse Riding were coveted by other civilization, and peaceful tech trading granted us the secrets of Iron Working, Alphabet, Polytheism, Priesthood, Monotheism, Mathematics, Sailing and Currency. By 250 BC the growing greatness of our Empire is reflected in the construction of the magnificent Great Pyramids of Kyoto.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile the world becomes polarized by religion beliefs. The wake of the new millennium is tainted by wars across the continent: Hannibal and Genghis join forces against Sitting Bull, while Charlemagne and Hammurabi unite against the Russians.

But our people have no interest participating in their wars, our efforts are directed to internal growth. By 375 AD the Temple of Solomon is built at Lakamha, flocks of people bring wealth to the holy shrine of Judaism, which will help us financing the might of our Empire.

Spoiler :

But far to the North a bigger threat arise. SOMEHOW the Kingdom of Spain has gotten tech dominance. Two new religions: Christianity and Islam are born in Isabella's lands. By 720 AD The Spanish build the Apostolic Palace, making Buddhism the most powerful religion of the world, but such beliefs are unknown to our people.

Our worries are about not falling too much behind in tech against Isabella. By 820 AD a Great Prophet is born in our lands, our first Golden Age begins!

Spoiler :

By 1010 AD Hannibal declares war on Churchill. Opportunistic Spain and Russia see a good chance to expand and invade the Carthaginians from the North. We cannot afford to let other ambitions to mold our borders. By 1030 we join Hannibal against Churchill and ten years later Samurai forces march on the English city of Hastings.

Spoiler :

Few years later shocking news reach our ears: it is only 1070 AD and Spain is first to discover Liberalism, but in a surprising move Isabella retreats from battle against Hannibal.

As war is slowing our advance in research, our generals urge us to change our ambitions to conquer all English land to Capitulation. In a change our strategy our army leaves the fortified city of York and marches against the English capital. By 1160 AD The Samurai Army takes London and forces Churchill to capitulate.

Spoiler :

After capitulating, Churchill becomes and important research partner. We get from them Nationalism and Economics, and then we trade with other AIs for Astronomy and Scientific Method. Still we are behind Spain in Tech. How in hell did they advance so quick? The answer to that will remain a mystery of this game.

By 1560 our researchers learn Steel and our glorious civilization enters the Industrial age. In our generosity we offer the Carthaginians to join our illustrious Empire, but stubborn Hannibal refuses and gives his back to the goodwill of his own people. Five years later, backed with the power of Cannons, our Samurai Army begins the liberation of the Carthaginian people from the Tyranny of Hannibal the Despot.

Spoiler :

After half century of war the cities of Utica, Carthage, Hadrumentum and Kerkuane, have all been liberated, only the worthless city of Hippo, built in a hilly area without food remains in control of Hannibal, who begs for a capitulation agreement. Considering the probable tech trade, we decide to take him as our vassal, soon he agrees to unveil the secrets of Military Tradition to us.

But peace doesn't last too long, as greedy Mongolian hordes covet our newly obtained territory.

Spoiler :

The Carthaginians are unable to deal with the Mongolian invasion, Hippo is razed to the ground as Hannibal falls into Oblivion. But the medieval army of Genghis is no threat to our renewed army, which has changed their swords for rifles.

But then something strange happens. Two of the cities we got from the Carthaginians defect to Cultural pressure from England and Spain. I though that could not happen to militarily conquered cities, but damn I was wrong!

Spoiler :

However this distasteful interruption doesn't disturb the Samurai Army to reach its objective: To crush the Mongolian army. The first step was liberating Sitting Bull from the military dictatorship of Genghis. By 1730 AD Cahokia is liberated and unexpectedly both Native Americans and Mongolians capitulate to the might of the Japanese Empire.

Spoiler :

But very soon our confidence is shaken; as it is announced that Spain has built the United Nations... and as we see Spanish Infantry taking positions near our borders...

Holy carp, how did Spain get so far ahead?

Hello, I am Roderich, and I will tell you the legendary story of the Celtiberian people.

Everything began long ago, in a world called CIV4BTS PAE V MOD. I know it is a strange name for a world, but I did not make that up.

Spoiler :

After wandering for some years our first city, Tarraco, was founded on the shores of the Ebro River, and the mighty Balearicum Sea; surrounded by fertile grassland, stony hills and woody forests, our people will get from mother Earth everything we need to prosper.

Spoiler :

Since immemorial times our people have been great hunters, and that is the reason why perfection the art of Hunting is our first goal, the generous forest will provide our hunger of growth with deer and goats.

A thousand years have past, and Tarraco is no longer a tiny settlement, it is a proud village, we are not just a society of hunters, but also mystics and shamans. Our understanding of the world have also grown, and now our people know of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, we also have learned about Polytheism and Archery.

Spoiler :

The growth of Tarraco has caused also that our old organization systems are not efficient any longer, the wisest from our people have joined and have created a council, these events have gone without dropping a single drop of blood.

Meanwhile, the most adventurous of our hunters have gone far into the forests to the Nord, they bring word of other civilized people: The Gauls, and the Athenians.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

They seem to be also great hunters, but do they know how to grow food on the riverside? Do they know how to take the richness from the depths of the Earth? Do they know how to turn stone into Metal? We do know.

By 2500 BC the people of Tarraco began to build a great palace, destined to be occupied by a great ruler, chosen by the Celtiberian poeple, for the Celtiberian people; then it came the time, after almost two thousand years, my people chose me as their Leader, the day I bacame King of the Celtiberians. My arrival to the throne also marked a change of times, a new era: The Bronze Age

Spoiler :

It was then that our hunters found out about another tribe, to the East of the Great City of Tarraco; they called themselves The Romans, ruled by a despot called Theodosius.

Spoiler :

It seems the Romans covet our lands to the East, so we prepare a settler to go occupy those lands and make clear to whom they belong. But on their way they meet some very singular people, who call themselves Druids. Their tales about the greatness of nature have enchanted our people. Our people want the Celtic Myths as our official religion, as a fair ruler I declare it, now we can call ourselves rightfully The Celtiberians.

Spoiler :

Our people are happy, we have learned how to better preserve food molding the earth into Pottery, we also know how to get better yields from our farms thanks to the invention of The Plow, and to make food even more plenty, we have learned how to send boats to gather the richness of the seas.

But not all the world is happy, messengers bring terrible news from the North: The Athenians have declared war against Dumnorix, and our brothers The Gauls. We do not know the causes of their conflict, so we will not get involved. Besides, we have to look to our own borders, an eastern tribe called the Etruscans also moves West towards our borders.

By then our settlers have gone beyond The Pyrenees, and found rich deposits of copper, game and fish besides the River Rhône, it is done: Massilia has been founded by the Celtiberian people!

Spoiler :

Almost 1 year until another update! Now we just wait for METY... :old:

MoreEpicThanYou, were still waiting for the next update to his Rome story. (I think the wait has been 1 1/2 years? 2? Somebody help me out?)

MoreEpicThanYou, were still waiting for the next update to his Rome story. (I think the wait has been 1 1/2 years? 2? Somebody help me out?)

FYI, METY's still here. I sometimes see his name when I'm online, and he just browses the site for a while. Don't know if he'll ever update again, but he's not gone.

It is almost the end of the second millennia since the village of Tarraco was founded; the Romans have joined the Athenians in the war against The Gauls. We, the celtiberian civilization, are in a phase of expansion, and have founded a new settlement: Narbo, in between Massilia and Tarraco, on the shores of the Balearicum Sea. Our economy is thriving, merchants from the world enter our lands looking for trade, some decide to stay at Tarraco, our proud capital.

Spoiler :

We will continue our expansion, colonizing the empty lands closer to the Cantabricum Sea, the other side of our Penninsula. In the year 1125 B.C. Tolosa is founded.

Spoiler :

News arrived from the East: The Etruscans have joined the war against The Gauls, now Dumnorix fight against three, but until now our lands have not seen any sign of that war. It is peaceful in Iberia and we will take advantage of this for expanding... but suddenly the unexpected happen: A horde of barbarians appear in front of our coasts, armed with superior weaponry and in great numbers; we are not prepared to face them; our settlement of Narbo fall into their bloody hands, warriors from all of our villages hurry with one hope: to rescue Narbo, after sixty painful years the settlement is retaken.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Our plans of expansion have been abruptly halted: a massive invasion of the Balearicum Sea has become a great menace to our people. All our attention diverts to our military, new technologies are quickly developed: The new Spears, Short bows and Disc Chariots should provide us with a stronger army. The barbarians who call themselves "The Sea Peoples" have come in big numbers, but we are not afraid, we will face them and we will defeat them.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, some people from Tarraco have grown desperate, they have decided to leave the illustrious village looking for a safer place, far from the "Sea Peoples" attacks, these emigrants take the road West, and settle in the place where the River Ebro is born, the settlement of Numantia is founded in 1060 B.C.

Spoiler :

Then we meet two new tribes: The Carthaginians arrive to our coasts sailing in great boats which technology is unknown to us; and the Berbers, from which our scouts found out while exploring the Southern Coast of the Iberian Peninsula; they say that from the highest peak they can see across the sea, into another continent, and another civilization.

Spoiler :

These new civilizations, they appear friendly but we are sure they covet the richness of Iberia. Very soon our suspicion becomes reality: The treacherous Carthaginians have installed a settlement on the Balearic Islands, just few miles from the beaches of our mighty capital.

Spoiler :

It seems the world is pretty crowded with emerging civilizations... We have to hurry and take control of Iberia before they try to colonize the lands which are rightfully ours. But maybe not all of the new civilizations are hostile towards us: it is the beginning of the third millennium, from the North a patrol wearing the celtic symbols approaches, finally we meet him: Brennus of Celtia, founders of the Celtic Myths.

Spoiler :

It is the beginning of the third millennium: Celtia has joined the Gauls in their war against the Etruscans, while hordes of Barbarians threaten our shores on the Balearicum Sea; Southern civilizations covet our lands in the Iberian penninsula. In the year 900 B.C. the settlemente of Valentia is founded; we begin expansion to the South of Tarraco.

Spoiler :

As our flag rises at Valentia, messengers of an unknown Civilization approach; they called themselves The Numidians, and they speak about their leader: Adherbal, a bitter enemy of the leader of our southern neighbors: Bochuss of The Berbers.

Spoiler :

Half century later Celtiberian Scouts find out about a barbarian settlement called Garamantes, on the South West of the Penninsula, it seems barbarians tribes are gaining control of our unsettled lands.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile in the great city of Tarraco defensive structures are built: Nuraghes and walls will protect our cities from the threat of the Sea Peoples; the invention of the Pole Axe, and the understanding of Enslavement and Mercenarism have also given a boost to our army capabilities.

Then the unexpected happens: In the year 780 B.C. an army of about 2,500 men (10 units) threatens to enter our Northern borders... we cannot believe it, the army carries Gaul flags, we have been betrayed by Dumnorix!

Spoiler :

It seems Dumnorix has gone mad, declaring war against us mean that he is fighting in four fronts: Against Etruscans, Romans and Athenians to the East, and now against us to the South. Anyway, Massilia is well defended, and troops in Narbo, Tarraco and Tolosa are ready to mobilize and fight against the invaders.

Spoiler :

After 20 years of failed siege against Massilia our enemy is defeated. Our army is ready to counter strike, we will not forgive his treachery, we will liberate our brothers The Gauls from the despotic rule of Dumnorix the warmonger.

Spoiler :

Our brave warriors approach the Gaul capital Bibracte, just to find it well guarded, but scouts tell us about the Western city of Tolosa (Gaul), which is poorly defended. Our main army advances towards the new objective, leaving a couple of battalions to pillage the countryside around Bibracte. Chariot regiments from Tolosa (Celtiberian) reinforce our attack from the South. By 750 B.C. Tolosa (Gaul) is conquered by our mighty military, and it is renamed as Avaricum, to avoid confusion with our own city called Tolosa.

Spoiler :

During the battle a Legendary unit abandons Dumnorix and joins our side, a great general emerge from that unit: Vercingetorix, who now leads our most experienced military unit.

Meanwhile we continue our expansion into the Southern part of the Iberian Peninsula; on the year of 733 B.C. the settlement of Corduba is founded

Spoiler :

A year later our glorious Northern army begins with the siege of Bibracte; a numerous garrison loyal to Dumnorix protects the city and it will take a while until they surrender or until they are weakened enough for our troops to launch an attack.

Spoiler :

From our well planned military strategy a great general emerges: Breoghan, who surely will have his chance to gain his glory against our enemy: Dumnorix the Mad.

Spoiler :

The siege of Bibracte is getting long and it starts to look like an annoying stalemate. But wait, our military research has developed a new weapon, which in the hands of our brave soldiers will become legendary: The Falcata

Spoiler :

Also, in the year 715 B.C. a great project of the people of Tarraco is completed: A Great Wonder, The Labyrinth of Knossos makes our people happy and makes our enemies tremble, as the populations of the world look at us in awe.

Spoiler :

And it is one of those jealous enemies that 15 years later commands an army of mercenaries to attack our beloved village of Numantia. Strangely the mercenary army abruptly appears from nowhere in the middle of our territory; luckily we have enough gold in our treasury to hire mercenary archers to defend Numantia while stronger troops arrive to engage the enemy on the battlefield, but before that happnes the enemy flees cowardly to the East. It seems whoever paid them made a bad deal.

Spoiler :

We will discover who was behind such a coward aggression, the discovery of Cryptography give us the ability to train spies, and as we are the first to discover it, we also gain a great spy.

Spoiler :

Finally, after thirty years of siege, a Falcata Regiment from Massilia arrives to Bibracte for a final battle. On the the year 699 B.C. our troops march victorious on Bibracte! from this great victory two great generals emerge: Boduognatos and Ambriorix.

Spoiler :

subbed

Top Bottom