Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

That reminds me of a thing from the Wikipedia article on the Haida. They had stone rings on tethers which they dropped hard in enemy canoes, sinking them. The stone rings would be retrieved by the tether to be reused.

What are you guys thinking for Unique Buildings / Improvements for the Blackfoot and Cree? I was thinking that a buffalo pound (or maotokowa, as it's called in Blackfoot) would work well for either. It would be a Unique Improvement that could be built on Cattle (and Bison if you're planning on porting that Resource to the main game).

Here's a link to a book discussing the buffalo pound (including an illustration). Here are some other illustrations for different styles of buffalo pound:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

We have definitely been thinking about the use of Bison for Blackfoot/Cree. We have a Buffalo Jump building for the Blackfoot that replaces the Watermill (since the Blackfoot detested water). We have been toying around with a UI pound for the Cree, but we agreed it needed more research since the Pound was mainly a "Plains Cree" thing, when ideally we want to find things that all Cree had in common.

I don't think you could use a pound on cattle, I think it just wouldn't feel right. It might be an idea to have Cree/Blackfoot start near a source of Bison.

We do have some good outlines for the Current Cree/Blackfoot civs though :)

We have been toying around with a UI pound for the Cree, but we agreed it needed more research since the Pound was mainly a "Plains Cree" thing, when ideally we want to find things that all Cree had in common.

Have you guys considered doing The Iron Confederacy specifically, rather than a Cree blob? I had been meaning to ask. It would also allow you to use the buffalo pound without being concerned about being focusing on the Plains Cree too much.

I don't think you could use a pound on cattle, I think it just wouldn't feel right. It might be an idea to have Cree/Blackfoot start near a source of Bison.
In my head, at least, before you build pastures, the horses, sheep, and cattle in the game represent wild animals. Rather than tie the Blackfoot or Cree down to bison specifically, it makes more sense to me to let them use their bison-hunting techniques on whatever large wild bovines they happen to find in their settlement of Civ-World, regardless of whether they find bison or cattle.

You mean it's in one of the scenarios already?
The scenario that came out with the Inca-Spain pack was recently updated to include bison and chocolate.

I had a sudden realization today regarding the Anishinaabe. I had previously been focused on the Council of Three Fires when considering ideas for this Civ, but since the Algonquin are non-Council Anishinaabe, they provide an interesting possibility for a Unique Unit. The Algonquin had a weapon that English historians translated as "The Devil's Head." A heavy stone was secured to a pole by an animal-skin covering that was painted with a fearsome looking face. It's essentially a thrown warhammer, used to smash up enemy canoes and formations (prior to the advent of firearms, Northeast warriors fought in compact formations; post-firearm the dominant formation was a dispersed U-shaped one used to surround the enemy while allowing them an avenue for retreat). The Devil's Head was not used in colonial times, however. The Algonquin recalled it only from memory. But based on the Vinland Sagas, it seems the Norse settlers ran into people wielding such a weapon and it was quite effective against them.

So, maybe a UU Catapult that has lower range but does extra damage to infantry and naval units?

Attached is the working patch for Australia and Mexico.

Just so you're aware, your "replacement" city-states don't show up with their proper city names. The database still shows that their cities are Sydney and Melbourne. So try:

Spoiler :
Code:
<Update>
	<Set CityName="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_DUBAI"/>
	<Where [B]MinorCiv[/B]Type="MINOR_CIV_MELBOURNE"/>
</Update>
<Update>
	<Set CityName="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_MONTEVIDEO"/>
	<Where [B]MinorCiv[/B]Type="MINOR_CIV_SYDNEY"/>
</Update>

EDIT: Switched Montevideo out for Honiara.

EDIT: Added the direct mod (the second attachment) for those that want to try it immediately.

Perfect, I totally missed the variance on the subtable. Thanks for that :)

Woah, woah, woah, TPang! I don't want to be sued by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

NEARLY THERETM

The Inuit are doing good. The largest problem I'm having is balancing a team that starts in the Snow. The issue isn't "Way Too OP" versus "Way Too Weak," it's "So I spent a whole bunch of their unique things on getting them to the same level as everyone else while being the Only civ that can live in the winter lands but now they're only as powerful as a city-state since their UUs aren't doing anything" versus "I gave them stuff to make them as good as everyone else and now it feels like they have 7 Unique things instead of 3."

Ahh, Balance.

Also, a warning for when you do get to play them: Just like everyone else in the game, if there's no regions of their preferred starting area style, they just start anywhere. This is intentional -- if you are playing on a desert planet, expect them to start in the desert.

Dominion of Canada - Lester B. Pearson
by TPangolin and Neirai

In this mod you'll play as Lester B. Pearson - war veteran, Nobel Peace Prize winner, respected leader and diplomatic superhero!

Canada
Keepers of the Peace - Mounted Units can temporarily claim neutral land and generate +2 :c5happy: Happiness if garrisoned. Upon declaring friendship, Canada and their friend gain +1 Delegate to the World Congress.

Voyageur - Unlike the Great Merchant which it replaces, Voyageurs are capable of creating Fur resources, which you can trade to your allies or to make more allies. They can also work as Caravans. If you have reached your maximum number of trade routes, the Voyageur will allow you to exceed it. Cannot conduct trade missions or build Customs Houses.

Garrison Artillery - Canada's unique Cannon that can build forts. Upon entering in a fort, or citadel, the Garrison Artillery gains the "On Guard for Thee!" promotion which allows it to deal double damage.

Download!

I'm getting a "Canadaalpha64.dds is unable to load" message when I'm in game and when I'm in the loading screen starting a game.

Also, you said the Canadian tile bias was tundra, the two games I had started in dessert tiles.

I'm getting a "Canadaalpha64.dds is unable to load" message when I'm in game and when I'm in the loading screen starting a game.
You'll also get that message when you open the religion overview.

EDIT: ...32.dds and ...24.dds error messages also pop up in World Congress.

I noticed that, what's up with it?

Top Bottom