IOT Developmental Thread

To allow for extra politics revolving around coups, perhaps you could also get an extra 2.5% or 5% for every other player in the pool who supports your coup.

I considered this, but given I don't know how many players I would have, I opted out for balance.

The ruleset sounds too simple for a Realpolitick.

It's Risk with coups. It's supposed to be simple, and hopefully be able to run to a conclusion.

It's Risk with coups. It's supposed to be simple, and hopefully be able to run to a conclusion.

The problem is holding player attention. If the economics of the game are extremely simple, then the political side needs to be very complex to make up for it. If the basic mechanics are simple, and the political mechanics boils down to "coup, defend against coup, get couped, coup again later", then you have Civilization Kings IV.

Sorry, but essentially you are creating a war game with no war mechanics (no in-depth ones anyhow). You might say its Risk with Coups, but the idea of 3 equal superpowers fighting to control all 3 capitals just shouts war game.

If you had more in depth mechanics, either for politics, military, or economic (preferably 2-3 of them) then I would play. Otherwise....sorry but no.

I agree with other concerns that unless the game has some really good rules for all government positions then they would not be interesting enough to have a player for each nation.

I have to admit; I have thought about a economic position but the lack of RP etch makes it... too steely for my sake. What of budget arguments or creative policies on raising revenue?

Also: is there a spy-master role? This should be in line for both external activities and internal defence, the latter especially could cater to the Ministry of Love.

Say... Ministries of Love, Peace, Truth and Plenty are indeed a great basis for the game: spying, war, diplomacy and economics.

There's a reason some positions are more RP than others, and why there are only three.

As for the wargame comment, risk is a wargame, too. Because of individual units, it cant be made too complicated, else the players won't keep track of whats going.

I could add techs and espionage (under diplo), but I fear that adding them would detract - balancewise for the tech, and simply because espionage would be very bland. All you could tie it into would be coups or a boost to your military.

And I'm really opposed to adding econ techs, so that would be another issue there. That would screw up balance pretty quickly.

So yeah, I can take ideas for depth, but keep in mind this should be Risk-like with a clear winner, not MP or I&B.

Ok guys, so I want to actually run an IOT.

Here's what I have in mind. I'm going to follow Robert's new(and old) model of limited to no stats to allow for comparatively easy updates that rely more on my writing ability than my excel ability.

I have 3 settings in mind.
1. Neolithic/Bronze age. Players will create their own cultures up to 0 AD, starting between 8000 and 2000 BCE.
2. Modern age. Players start in OTL 1900. Select a country and run it, trying to avoid world wars, or start them. But we all know what every one of you will go for.
3. Space Age. Players create their own alien species of whatever. This will probably be pretty much The Great Abyss with less stats and mechanics.

All three choices may have elements of fantasy - for example, in the prehistoric one maybe alchemy actually is possible. Or, in 1900, it is discovered that sorcery may just have some merit. Up to you guys.

Now, which setting do you all want to play?

Three! Three! Three!

The third.

1900 is obviously the best.

TGA OR BUST

It had stats and mechanics? :mischief:

I'm pretty unconvinced a grid map with planets and stars scattered about will ever actually work, since it hasn't in the past. It's just too many things to consider for everyone. I suggest making a map like this. Have a set number of planets in each system (little circles with color of whoever owns them) and add some jump points where there's an important asteroid or even just nothing to create strategic chokepoints.

Top Bottom