City Name Generator

HandyVac

Gentleman
The shire where the oxen cross the river. UK.
City Name Generator automatically generates names for newly founded outposts, by stringing together word-parts appropriate for both the Sponsor and the nearby Terrain Types, Features and Resources.

For example, an outpost founded on the coast near some Chelonia might get a name meaning "Whale Bay".

Sponsors Supported
Includes word lists for all Vanilla and Rising Tide sponsors.

Sponsors without a word list (i.e. because they were added by another mod) will use their default city names.

Optional Features
The following features can be switched on or off on the Advanced Setup screen when starting a new game:

- Default Capitals - When activated, the original Capital City of each player will use it's default name instead of a generated one.
- Rename On Capture - When activated, cities will have their names changed or added to by their new owner after they are captured and martial law has ended.

Compatability
Works with and without Rising Tide.
No known conflicts with other mods.
Does not affect savegames, so can be switched on or off halfway through a game.

Screenshots
Spoiler :

Download
Download from Civfanatics here
Download from Steam Workshop here

Note To Fellow Modders
Spoiler :
City Name Generator loads word lists for each sponsor from a new table called <CNG_NameParts>. New words can be added to that table (and existing ones changed or removed) using XML or SQL, so long as you flag this mod as a reference or dependancy.

Mod ID is: f6ba29e4-c17b-48d9-a316-bc53cb558acc

If you would like to write name parts for your own sponsor, the file CNG_NameParts_Template.xml contains a list of suggested resources, terrains and features to write for. It's not neccesary to use all of these, but the more parts you write, the more variety there will be in the generated names.

Uploaded V.7

Added word lists for:
INTEGR
Polystralia
Kavithan Protectorate
Chungsu

Spoiler :

I'm not really sure how accurate the last two are, to be honest. I don't speak any languages other than English (some half-remembered high school German lessons aside), so am relying on Google Translate, Wikipedia, and copious amounts of guesswork about whether adjectives come before or after nouns.

If anyone more knowledgeable about languages wants to look through the mod files and improve them then I'd be grateful, otherwise I'm going to declare that they're good enough, and any irregularities are because language is different 500 years into the future. ;)

Uploaded V.9

Added a toggleable option on the Advanced Setup screen to either generate names for original capitals, or use default ones.

Added a button on the Edit City Name popup to generate a new name instead of typing one in.

Added word lists for:
Slavs
Al Falah

Al Falah was a fun one to write for, I've tried to include some deliberately strange words from aerospace and naval terms to represent their background on a generational spaceship.

Uploaded v.12

When a city is captured by another civ, and martial law is over, it will now change or add to it's name to reflect it's new owner. This feature can be switched on or off in the Advanced Setup menu.

(specifically, the generator picks one word from the city's old name and uses that as the starting point to build a new name, using the new owner's word lists. Can occasionally lead to very long names for cities that change hands frequently.)

Also, added word lists for:
African Union
PAC

which means all vanilla and RT civs are now covered :)

Top Bottom