Sometimes you get Lucky

My under equipped War Canoe managed something most of you feel is not possible.

And to make it more insulting (to the English), I did not yet have any of the fencing gear! Playing Dutch in 1680's at Swash.

In case you think that this is a made up job, I have the save, and just for fun I managed to get a copy of the Battle save in reserve.

Yep this is for real. [party] :beer: :dance: :dance: :dance: :band: :xmas:

Attachments

• gotasol100.jpg
    gotasol100.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 849
  • slot13.zip
    70.7 KB · Views: 626
Thats insane. You've got some weird games. First a pirate using a trade galleon, and now this!

Sold it at the first port.

I use the Canoe.

BTW that is the game save. You can try out the SotL to see if you like it, you can also try out a Canoe.

Not really. I found it already disturbing enough that Royal Sloops are so great. R. Sloop, Brig of War, SotL... it is somehow destroying the whole game when you do all this with a canoe, but it is funny. :)

Here is the battle save, re-saved as slot12 so you can load it up paused and look around.

That big thing to the left is your target.

Can you board and take her?

Really big hint:

You will loose in an artillery duel. (Do not bother shooting at her.)

Attachments

• slot12.zip
    70.6 KB · Views: 138
rupert... do you think this is a challenge?

Even without fencing skill, you can take any Ship with 30-50 men on Swashbuckler. Except the enemy uses a Rapier, too. Then you might have problems.

I do not want to brag or diminish your achievements, but Pirates is not really that *difficult*... even on the highest level.

Some years back, Sid had a game called Silent Service.
It had a scenario called "Sink the Yamato".
That was a fun scenario. Trying to sink a super battleship that had quite some speed.
Ended up that I could sink it at all difficulty levels, but I had to use an unusual tactic. One that was such a deviation from conventional logic and established doctrine that even If I could sink this Battleship in real life, if I had used this tactic, the Navy would probably have Court Martialed me.

The "Bag a SotL" save makes a similar scenario for Pirates!.

Can you bag it? It is set at Swash. The starting conditions are not all that easy.

Easy game? Maybe? Needs some scenarios. Anyway, it is worth a try. :beer:

Whoa,

I remember "Silent Service" probably the best submarine simulation ever designed!
Haha, i played it on the Commodore 64 and was usually up to 3AM each night, the game was so perfect i thought i was in the sub... :D

The most exciting part that i recall was staying at periscope depth, using the radar i noticed a freighter, i would sink the latter ship only to hear the wailing siren on the sub of a fast approaching vessel. :crazyeye:
Lol, i would spin the periscope around to find a destroyer charging me; wow, that was nerve racking! :cry:

Oh, by the way...

Correct, designer ~ Sid Meier!
Silent Service was created by a company called Microprose!
The graphics were sheer perfection , all 16 colors! :eek:

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/cgi-bin/zoompic.pl?orgsize=256x192&url=/gifs/silents.gif

Strange, how i can remember most commodore64 games, yet 3/4 of the PC games with millions of colors i forget in 10 minutes of play.
I believe the PC games designed 20 years ago had more playability and entertainment than most new PC games today!

Other magnificent PC games of yesteryear!

Airborne Ranger
Speedball 2000
Raid over Moscow
Karateka
Epyx Winter games

...and not to forget the Ultima games : Ultima IV will forever be my favorite! :D

Have fun:
http://www.methodshop.com/tech/articles/emulator-c64/index.shtml

Top Bottom