Civ 4 Map: Civ 1 Earth

flobi

Rewrite Civilization
First of all, I would like to thank all you guys made and are making map editors for Civ4, especially miles, the maker of YAME without which, this would have taken forever.

After making a Civ1 terrain mod for Civ4, it just seemed rational that if I was going to make my Civ4 look like Civ1, I might as well play on the same board as I used to. Most often, I played on the Earth map, but it just wasn't quite the same with the ones that came with Civ4.

Hence, Civ 4 map: Civ 1 Earth

See Also: Civ 4 Terrain: Civ 1

I haven't actually tested it out since I created it, but I double checked all the starting locations. If you find any problems, just let me know and I'll take a look. I am going to test it, just not, um, now. Also, I don't know much about where resources should go so I just kinda randomly placed them. If you see one that's totally wak out of place, e.g. an Elephant on Antarctica, let me know so I can take a look at that too.

A couple differences: The swamps next to egypt have been changed to jungles since jungles and swamps had the same stats in Civ1 and there are no swamps in civ4. I thought about making them flood plains but that just didn't have the right feel. I did not plot Zulu or Bablyonian starting locations cause they're not included in Civ4. I moved Mali down 1 from where the Atlas says Timbuctoo (sp, idc) is so they wouldn't start on desert. I tried to get the rivers right, but they just function different in Civ4 so they're just a tad different sometimes. And one last thing, I added coastal squares or should I say, Worldbuilder added coastal squares which technically aren't in Civ1.

Also, all hills, jungles and swamps (scratch that last one) are on grasslands and all forests are on plains cause it makes most sense that way.

- Flo

PS You might want to edit it cause I have all 18 starting locations and you might not want to play with 18 civilizations on a board this small.

Okay, I seem to be having a problem setting India. It keeps resetting to Germany. So if you run it, the first Germany starts where India is.

Okay, got India in there. I guess YAME had an issue saving it.

Great please let me know what you think so I can improve.

BTW, I updated the map. YAME had a default max turns at 300, I removed that so it should play normal, I think.

I'll take a look at it. The rivers work a lot differently in civ1 than civ4. There are some things the rivers simply cannot do in one than the other and vice versa.

thamis said:
Uhm... where's the download?

Right click the upper image and select "save link as".

Kahkonen said:
Could you also change place of Theba one square right so that it can used as Suez canal.
Sorry, haven't been here in a bit. I'm going to have to say no to that though. When you start the game, feel free to move one right before building a city. In Civ1, that was the starting location. I did make sure to map the starting locations in the same place as in Civ1.

flobi said:
Sorry, haven't been here in a bit. I'm going to have to say no to that though. When you start the game, feel free to move one right before building a city. In Civ1, that was the starting location. I did make sure to map the starting locations in the same place as in Civ1.

Ok, but that's not the problem. I don't play with Egyptians and they of course do not move one right :) So I have to destroy their city, if I want Suez (as we can not found two cities next to each other like Civ1 style).

Of course I can change place in my own Civ only, thanks for the answer!

I have ported this map to ROM + AND + HAND (special resources, more realistic terrain placement, more polar ice - impassable, so no cities on south pole so early) and playing it as huge Polish Empire. Quite fun, as it reminds me Civ1 and old good times :)

In Civ 5 you have hexes not squares like in Civ1 and Civ4. So no identical conversion possible. Well, Civ4 have map very similar to Civ1, because it is not switched by 45 degrees like in Civ2 and Civ3.

In Civ 5 you have hexes not squares like in Civ1 and Civ4. So no identical conversion possible. Well, Civ4 have map very similar to Civ1, because it is not switched by 45 degrees like in Civ2 and Civ3.

But now I found out, that the Civ 5 SDK tool Worldbuilder could load Civ 4 maps and converted them into civ 5 maps

Top Bottom