Conquest of the World

Thanks! Now I can do it! Cool!

Thanks, RegentMan and killerkid and btfx. OMTT also is a great thread that I've read all of.

Good job covering the screenshots. I've been using the Paint method, although due to laziness I always leave the file as .bmp instead of .jpg. Takes longer to upload, but at least it gives me time to browse CFC and GoogleNews. Works out well - I've found I get better quality uploading .bmps and letting Photobucket convert than converting to .jpgs in Paint and uploading those.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been going to tons of parties the past few days (6 in the past 60 hours!) and having a generally awesome time. Somehow I also fit a Game of the Month in the past 84 hours. But now summer has arrived, and school is done, so I ought to have more free time.

My link can save them in jpg and then some. Also, if you've gotten accustomed to Paint, you can always download IrfanView, it's small and has a batch conversion feature (It'll re-sample those big ones down to size if you want to). It's just we computer-knowing folk cringe at the horrid inefficiency of bitmaps. They're simply enormous compared to jpg files.

But now summer has arrived, and school is done, so I ought to have more free time.
I still have 3 more weeks until summer (Last day of school is June 25th) :(

Great read Quintillus. :D And hehe, my last day of school the 7th. :p

Update ought to be coming pretty soon. My progress was slightly delayed by a real-life injury, but we're getting back on track. I also started COTM 37, so a bunch of Civving time went there. I'd highly recommend Games of the Month if you hadn't tried them.

I'm debating where to cut off Part Twenty and begin Part Twenty-One, and I think I need to play a few more turns to know where.

June 25, 27 and June 22, choxorn, CivRulesAll and dutchking? That seems really late. June 7 is about what I'm used to; it was slightly earlier for me this year since I was graduating.

June 13 for me. We start on the Wednesday after labor day!! ;)

"You have included 41 images in your message. You are limited to using 15 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again. "

Hehe, looks like I've taken quite a few screenshots of the game since the last update. Hence I'll be splitting what I've played into multiple sections. Enjoy!

Edit: I decided rather than to post all the new sections at once, to space them out over a day or two. Everyone will want more now, of course, but this way I'll be ahead of the curve a few days more at least :).

Part Twenty - The End for Germany

1888 AD - The tale of the Greeks resumes. Militarily, they are expanding their empire into both the western part of Australia and the Middle East. Technologically, Greece is the most advanced country in the world, ahead of its closest rivals the Persians, Celts, Koreans, and Aztecs by Electronics, and researching Combustion.

The next Greek mission is to capture Berlin. After a successful attack in 1886, the defences were severely weakened.

Our Guerillas take Berlin this turn without loss. A quick raid on Hamburg to the north is repelled by Musketmen. The Scandinavian Cavalry in the area pay us no mind - they're set on reaching Zululand and making conquest there.

The Russian front of Greek conquest has refocused on the town of Rostov in the central Australian deserts.

Although it has very little industrial or commercial potential, the city has two important features - one, its oil (to the southeast of the city), and two, its culture, by now interfering with Greek ambitions. It's defences are amongst the strongest in Russia, so the Greek artillery unleash a barrage...

...with decent success. The Greek espionage corps then flood the city to assess the damage.

The commanders make the call to invade the city. Two Infantry and a Cavalry are ready to attack. The first Infantry defeats the defending infantry with ease, causing a sigh of relief among the military command. Another victory follows, and soon afterwards the last Cossacks fall, and Rostov is Greek. With the path cleared of Russian outposts, Greek troops then rush towards the next target, Novgorod.

1889 AD -

As predicted by the World Map, the Koreans pwned the Iroquois. :)

Many more diplomatic agreements and alliances follow, most inconsequential due to distances or Egypt already being doomed no matter how many more enemies it gets. But at least one deal proves worthy of mention.

They are across the seas from each other, but each is the strongest civilization on its continent (Celts in Africa, Hittites in South America). In other words, the alliance is bad news for the little guys.

1890 - We finish a Small Wonder in the city of Lisbon, in Southeast Asia:

It's the first major project completed since the Military Academy in Paris, and the first on mainland Asia. Many more should follow. With 939 gold already in our treasury, we're nearly getting the maximum value out of Wall Street already.

The next target on our campaign against Russia is the city of Novgorod, seen above and in northwestern Australia. It falls with just one cavalry being forced into retreat. Moscow itself will be the new target of this campaign.

In the Middle East, Guerillas march towards Hamburg, and Cavalry begin attacks on the very poorly-defended town of Leipzig, on the Arabian peninsula.

1891 AD - Heliopolis falls to Persia, and Frankfurt becomes the new Egyptian capital. Already ships are flocking to Madagascar.

As usual, several new alliances form. Rome declares war on the faraway Japanese, Babylon declares war on Egypt, and the Hittites and Byzantines enter trade embargoes against us.

1892 AD - Our Cavalry in Arabia execute their version of Blitzkrieg against Germany and quickly take the remainder of the peninsula. To the north, a force strong enough to take Hamburg is assembling outside the city. Germany has nothing to offer in peace. Near Moscow, artillery prepare for a barrage and an Ironclad blockades the harbor. Great victories await.

1893 AD - Another interesting mutual protection pact:

This could get Greenland into the world wars. Which could be either good or bad for them. They recently build several of their settlements into Metropolises.

And then comes an even more important MPP:

Perhaps they have ambitions for northeast Asia? Either way, this is one all the regional neighbors, myself included, will have to remember. At least Spain's MPP with Scandinavia has expired.

1894 - The end is nigh for Germany.

Our Guerillas charge and defeat all the German defenders. We won't be seeing any Panzers this game. Six rivals have now been eliminated - Arabia, France, Netherlands, Carthage, Iroquois, and Germany. Egypt is near annhilation and Portugal, Russia, and India are sufficiently weak to have no real chance, leaving 21 civilizations retaining a chance at victory.

Last edited:
Yay Update!

I feel your pain with the 41 images thing, although I don't take THAT many screenies in my story.

Sweet!
Question: Do you siege to get the population reduced to town size? Or for other reasons?

^I'm assuming you're referring to my sieges back when I was fighting India several centuries ago?

The idea behind it is to reduce cities to town size. It's a slow but sure method. However, a lot of times it ends up that I have enough forces to take the city before the size is completely reduced to town size, just as more forces build up outside the city. So sometimes I'll end the siege short and attack when I know I have enough forces to win (I'm pretty sure I did this a few times against India).

But I doubt we'll be seeing too many more sieges this game. Artillery make sieges mostly unnecessary, and before too long we'll have Bombers. Sieges take a long time, and I think I'm finally nearing the point where my army will have the technology that it can rip through without sieges and long delays.

Another update in 18-24 hours!

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been going to tons of parties the past few days (6 in the past 60 hours!) and having a generally awesome time. Somehow I also fit a Game of the Month in the past 84 hours. But now summer has arrived, and school is done, so I ought to have more free time.

Ive been to 7 in the past 60 hours (one for two minutes.)

You can always build massive amounts of cannons. :mischief:

True. Maybe I ought to start doing more of that Cannons + MedInf + Muskets. Might've saved some time relative to the massive land and sea sieges I did this game. It'd still take a lot of cannons, though, probably about 15 or so to really reduce a good-sized city.

Update coming early today.

Top Bottom