Conquest of the World

1952 IBT -

Another one, eh? What do they think they're going to do, take Tenochtitlan? They're badly mistaken if they do. Our Infantry will blockade the passageways, upgrading to Mech if need be, and our bombers will mercilessly target their troops.

But of more immediate concern than vanquishing a faraway South American civ, the Koreans are advancing.

All in all they send 8 Cavalry, 1 Longbowman, 25 Infantry, and 5 Guerillas into our territory. The Middle East bears the brunt of their advance - not a bad idea considering it connects two parts of my empire. But I'm not yet convinced their Infantry are in the most beneficial place possible.

The Persians decide to pose a more immediate threat in the Middle East, attacking Gergovia with a good number of Cavalry.

In fact, they right nearly take it! Only one redlined Infantry remains in the city! Had both Korea and Persia attacked it, it would have surely fallen.

In Africa, the Celts defeat one of our tanks on a counteroffensive, and Cumae is attacked by another civlization from the south. But Cumae withstands the attack, and thus will be Greek in just one turn.

Diplomatically in the IBT, a good number of Inconsequential Alliances were signed: Persia joined the Hittites against Japan, the Hittites and Ottomans joined the Persians against the Maya, and the Ottomans joined the Persians against Spain.

Having survived the first Korean offensive, it is now our turn to patch up our defenses and prepare a counterattack.

1953 AD -

We discover Advanced Flight. Miniaturization will be our next technology, firstly for the Offshore Platforms (we did start on an archipelago, remember), and secondly for the Internet.

Yay! We have an ally! Even if they are across an ocean!

Here are the two situations, the rosy one in Africa:

and the not-so-rosy one in the Middle East:

The Middle Eastern situation is obviously more dangerous, so we'll patch it up first! To start the battle we call in a new Tank from the old Dutch city of Utrecht.

Then we call in Ajax's army to cut down the Cavalry a bit - after all, they're the fast, dangerous ones, and even if there were only eight to begin with, if any are left we could have trouble later.

Three more Cavalry fall, and we decide to take the rest down by air.

The bombing finishes off that stack of units. Now we take our Artillery and start hammering the Persian Cavalry be Gergovia, as well as the garguantun stack of 23 Korean Infantry and a Longbowman.

The Cavalry are now easy work for a Marine and Tank.

That clears Gergovia of any immediate threat, but does not guarantee we won't see more Cavalry charging in next turn. So, just to be safe, we move Leonidas to Gergovia.

With the immediate threats cleared, and the Korean Infantry weakened if not broken, we turn back to the Conquest of the World, this time in Roman West Africa.

Our tank defeats two Musketmen is Pisae, but Rome still has another! Guess we aren't destroying Rome this turn!

It's fairly certain that Cumae will fall, though.

With Cumae captured, we head south towards Brundisium. Why not take it if we can?

Unfortunately what is likely Persia's last Infantry stops our tanks dead in their tracks (yeah, it got worse very quickly after the last screenshot). Guess this city'll have to wait until next turn to be liberated.

We do have slightly more luck on the espionage front.

At long last we have knowledge of America's Army. And with the possible exceptions of Korea and the Byzantines, it is the most powerful army on earth. That is, not counting Greece - my advisor assures me Greece is strong relative to America, though in terms of defensive unit strength, America does have an edge.

We're still on quite good terms with America, too. They even offer us the last luxury we lack - albeit for quite a price. Deciding 85% happiness is enough, we decline and save our money.

The Byzantines also remains quite friendly, assuring us help on the North African front:

Cockroaches indeed! Though not particularly strong ones anymore!

By this point our land advances are over - there's no point in making an offensive against the massive numbers of Korean Infantry that aren't even threatening a city right now - and the sea battles are set to begin.

A Submarine makes a good attack on a Hittite Frigate off the coast of Japan. We also take out a Persian Frigate by Amsterdam and a hapless Celtic Ironclad south of Zululand.

Now it all depends on what Korea does...

1953 IBT - Korea takes out one of my tanks with their Infantry fairly easily.

But it takes five Infantry to defeat the other.

And then they retreat a good number of the Infantry. I'm not sure what they're trying to do. :crazyeye:

Across the ocean, the Ottomans launch an attack on the city of Iznik, which they had lost to the Inca in a previous war. They take out one Rifleman, but a redlined one keeps the city Incan. It won't be long before the city falls by the looks of things.

On the Persian's turn, they target a Transport I had sitting in the middle of the ocean, but fortunately I win the battle. It probabably was empty, though - we'll find out later.

Oh, and I realize it looks like there's been a nuclear strike just south of Besancon in that screenshot. There hasn't been - we just still have really bad pollution problems. Especially in Australia. Really bad.

Persia has better luck in Africa, charging and capturing the just captured city of Cumae. Not to worry, we've troops ready to retake it next turn.

But it gets worse for us...they also take Veii from its tank defenders. That's significant progress lost on the African front.

Glad that Persia's turn is over, we soon receive the news that the Mongols no longer wish to give us gold for our help - or lack thereof - against China. There goes 41 GPT. Oh well. We're still making money.

England also advances on us this turn - sending a large force towards our northeastern border. They aren't a threat yet, but we don't want to forget them.

In diplomatic measures, peace is made between America and Persia! Yay for world peace! Until Persia attacks us again! Then yay for allies!

Japan is thinking along the same lines.

But I'm rather wary of this deal - if I recall they're at war with the Hittites and probably 15 other civilizations, as well. I reply that we can live together in peace and harmony without a mutual protection pact.

As we all know, though, Greece isn't enjoying peace and harmony. 1954 is sure to be a year of great battles.

Interesting....Very interesting........ Allies, one of the most useful aspects of the games, until your ally gets you into three different wars that they just spasmodically decided to wage.......

Yeah, my AI does that to me far too often, especially Rome...I wonder why..........

On a different topic, is it just me or does Genghis...Excuse me, Temmijun...(Sp??? :confused: ) look like he's still in the pimply-teenager-with-small-pox stage?

The Industrial Age always has crazy alliance making and breaking. It's just harder to keep track of with more than 20 civilizations.

Temujin never looks too great in Civilization III, in any age or mood. But he's been a friendly enough ally, even if he hasn't been a terribly effective one. But they're not alone in being ineffective:

(Looks at world Map) Lol, America STILL hasn't captured Tlacopan?

Correct indeed! America still hasn't taken Tlacopan. They also are being ineffective.

Do you still have the MPP's with Byzantines and Maya, or is it only the Americans?

Only America at this point.

I don't see how the Ottoman-Inca and Mongol-China wars are very important, seeing as while they are right next to each other, they don't fight much. And strangely, the Spanish and Inca seem to fight more, if only in Alaska and Hawaii, despite them being very far away from each other.

Mongolia finally has made some progress against the Chinese. And I think after reading Part Forty-Two (to appear in just a moment) you'll see why the Ottoman-Incan war is important. The Ottomans weren't fighting the Inca much when they were fighting the Aztecs, but now that I've blocked them from continuing against the Aztecs...

The Spanish and Inca have had conflicts, but I doubt either will ever invade the other's homeland.

Why does it say "Korea and England vs. Greece"? The reasons for their wars with you have nothing to do with each other, and Korea probably won't fight you much anyway.

BTW, you forgot to include the Ottomans in the war against the Aztecs, and you forgot Greece vs. Rome. :p

Korea and England both have a common enemy in me, so I lumped them together. Rome should've been in there, too.

The Ottomans are left out of the Aztec war because my Infantry are keeping them from reaching the Aztecs.

Oh, and I joined the Facebook group. I'm the one whose profile picture is mostly a building.

Now for Part Forty-Two!

1954 AD - The Koreans are still fairly numerous in our territory, so the first line of order will be to squelch them a bit.

By the end of our bombardment, all the Infantry that might have escaped by rail this turn are down to 2 or fewer hitpoints. We may well have a total victory coming from this Korean incursion.

Theodorus Kolokotronis' army will lead the way in cutting down Korea.

And then Ajax...

He struggles to finish off his third Infantry, but succeeds. Hector then attacks.

At this point I'm actually short of Tanks - down to 19, from a high of 25, after a scientific improvement effort. Deciding I need more tanks, I cancel all Research Labs on the main world landmass and decide to build the Internet there fairly soon.

But we've still a few more Tanks.

At least it killed one. But our Infantry are being stretched thin now from relieving Tanks of defensive duty!

Fortunately we scamble together just enough to defeat the Infantry we need to defeat this turn. An Infantry can then defeat the Longbowman threatening my Tank Army.

Now that the Middle Eastern crisis is no longer a crisis but a great victory, the front turns to East-Central Africa, which thus far has not been quite as glorious.

That's right - Veii is no longer Persian. It's Mongol! They are our allies, so we may not get it back soon. Then again, Persia does have an Infantry and Immortal right by it, so we might. We begin our attacks.

Cumae falls easily. Rather than press our luck against Brundisium, I recall my tank outside that city to Cumae.

The usual naval round-up yields very bad news for the Inca.

7 Sipahi and a Spearman right outside Iznik! Someone wants their city back! The Incan appear to have whipped their other cities significantly to try to keep up with the Ottomans, but I think this city is a lost cause. And remember, Ottoman Infantry can't be far behind to reinforce the city once they take it.

The naval combat this turn is the usual ownage of wooden ships.

We also spot a Spanish oil-powered ship. I'll have to plant a spy in Spain soon - in fact, why not now?

Woot! It succeeded!

There's 20 Riflemen in addition to that. I'm glad they're pretty weak. 6 Destroyers won't be fun, but they look like they'll be a pushover on land. Too bad I'm not ready to roll over them right now. They're also the third consecutive country I've planted a spy in under Anarchy - even more reason to conquer them immediately if I didn't have other wars.

Oh yeah! Another success!

Meh. Three's a charm, for the rest of the world in this case.

Well, that's a motley crew. Mostly Pikemen and Infantry. And Ironclads. I don't think I'll challenge them for the Siberian coastline :).

1954 IBT - Quite an IBT. On land, Korea advances to destroy at least one of my Infantry.

At sea, we spot a Korean War Fleet sailing - along the southern coast of Alaska. Not exactly where I'd expect to see it.

My Battleship will do what it can to damage it. My Submarine, meanwhile, watches the fall of Iznik, a glorious victory for the Ottoman Empire that gives them even quicker routes with which to destory the Inca.

The Ottomans also found a city on Madagascar.

Yep, Frankfurt is still Persian. At the moment. You never know when that city will get new rulers.

Persia also still harbours ideas of glory. They first target my city of Cumae.

It barely holds, with both my Tank and Marine being redlined. Persia then attacks Veii, and takes it despite both their troops being redlined. Quite a sequence of battles.

And then they bring forth another attack against me.

Fortunately they are one troop short and I'm left with a one-hitpoint Marine in the city.

Diplomatic measures then become the news of the day. The Scandinavians ally with Mongolia against the Celts - with both being so weak I doubt they'll actually fight each other. And then:

This may well be good for the Maya. They're up to 33 Infantry, but really need to rebuild their cities after the ravages of war and fascism.

England retreats. That's more a victory for them than for us, really. Soon thereafter, we receive word of yet another seemingly inexplicable AI move.

What are the Celts thinking attacking Babylonian Museketmen in mountains? :crazyeye: Oh well, can't complain when a Middle Ages civ is helping you against a foe with Infantry.

My point is that it's funny to find 2 nations half a world a part fighting more than two nations very close together.

Nope, never can complain when you're being helped....but wouldn't the infantry win against a Musketman, sure they're in the mountains, but wouldn't Infantry win?

Maybe I'm just looking at the picture wrong...That or I'm just off.....

The Infantry has 6 attack. The Musket has 4 defense+the 100% Mountain bonus=8 defense. 6<8, so the Musket has the advantage. ;)

Yes - but it's not a situation that's likely to continue. Unless you're talking about the Greeks conquering the Aztecs more than the Americans. :)

The Musketmen get a 100% defensive bonus, so it's 8 (Musketman) v. 6 (Infantry). And by the time of that screenshot, the Infantry was already down to one hitpoint. They did a very good job of showing why tactics trumps technology in some situations.

Yes - but it's not a situation that's likely to continue. Unless you're talking about the Greeks conquering the Aztecs more than the Americans. :)

Uh... that too?

Don't forget the 25% fortified bonus. It is fortified right? 9 Defense vs 6 Attack.

If it were fortified, its hitpoints would have a white rectangle around them. Do you see a white rectangle?

Wow, theres a torontonian in the group from an area I know pretty well.

Don't forget the 25% fortified bonus. It is fortified right? 9 Defense vs 6 Attack.

Oh, and by the way, I couldn't find the Facebook group. Conquest of the World, right?
Yes sir! If you still cannot find it, PM me your name and I will invite you.

I've been reading this story for a while, and I think it's great!:goodjob:

Could you please upload the latest save? (1954 or something like that.) Thanks in advance.

Hello, and Welcome to CFC Praha :band:

You have joined the ranks of those who have had their first post on this thread...Myself included....Look us up one day and find that legion to which you have joined...

Now that we're done with all that mystic mumbo-jumbo....

Whoops, I knew I was forgetting something about the Infantry...I've been playing with my modded rules far, far, far too long if I forgot that.

Thanks everybody who corrected me on that...Thank god it wasn't fortefied, otherwise I'd be really stupid!!!

Another one! Welcome to CFC, Praha!

10 bucks says this thread now has more first posts than "World War I... In 2051 AD".

Here's the current list:

Manitoba Grower
oneperson
Guard
Frozen In Ice
Demi Neophyte
Brianung
Ryyrk
Praha

That's 8, and I may have missed somebody. :eek:

Top Bottom