[Building] Soul Cage

Vehem

Modmod Monkey
Soul Cage from Dawn of War. Converted to Civ4 nif and single DDS texture.
Polycount reduced to 2376 - might be best as a wonder.

Download

Attachments

• Soulcage.jpg
    Soulcage.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 237
  • SoulcageInGame.jpg
    SoulcageInGame.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 191
Looks awesome! Pity about the poly count though.

I've just added a lower-res version at 713 poly's. Definite drop in detail, but will be a little easier on graphics cards.

Attachments

• lowres-soulcage.jpg
    lowres-soulcage.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 123
I've just added a lower-res version at 713 poly's. Definite drop in detail, but will be a little easier on graphics cards.

It doesn't look as good as the original, but that's unavoidable and it shouldn't be noticeable at civ-scale. Also that's a huge drop in poly's so it's worth it.. now, if only I was making a fantasy mod. :lol:

The versions version looks like they don't have a smooth modifier placed on them? Just mention this because I noticed Santos Tools usually kill this modifier on import and therefor you see the edges.

Thanks - I'm actually using Blender with a roundabout export route (.whm->.x->.blend->.nif) rather than Santos' tools for 3DS, but I think the same thing applies. I've applied a smooth to the low-res version, and it does seem to make a difference when you look closely. I've updated the uploaded file with it.

I think it's beautiful and 2500 polys for a one per game wonder is perfectly fine.

I think it's beautiful and 2500 polys for a one per game wonder is perfectly fine.

Thanks - must admit I'm jealous of what Firaxis pulled off in less than 500 poly's though :D

Thanks - must admit I'm jealous of what Firaxis pulled off in less than 500 poly's though :D

I assume they have professionals getting paid to do this. :p RTS games simply can have more polys so they can afford to be extravagant.

I assume they have professionals getting paid to do this. :p RTS games simply can have more polys so they can afford to be extravagant.

True :) I'm very much an amateur still given that my first untextured-blob of a Blender-export was about 5 days ago.

Winddelay has reworked the Hi-poly version and added a glowmap, light and shadow. I think it makes a huge difference in-game - thanks Winddelay :goodjob:

He also shaved another 300 or so polys off of it by removing the chains.

Files are now included in the download.

Attachments

• SoulCage-Winddelay.jpg
    SoulCage-Winddelay.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom