Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - Democracy and Team Games > BTS Multi-Team Demogame II

Notices

BTS Multi-Team Demogame II Main forum for the Second BTS multi-team DemoGame.

View Poll Results: Are you interested in another game?
Yes, I'm interested in playing 39 90.70%
No, I'm not interested 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1
DaveShack
Inventor

Are you interested in another game?

Here it is, the traditional recorded vote on whether there is enough support for another game.

For simplicity sake, I'm making it yes/no. Either there is some chance you'll be interested (in which case we discuss the conditions in new forums) or not. As soon as there is enough support shown, I'll take it to the admins and other DG mods.

Listening: "A king, in order to be a true leader, must listen with his ears, eyes, and heart, giving his people his undivided attention."
DaveShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2
CommandoBob
AbstractArt

Gee, I'm the second person to vote on this. ("Yes").

I guess I don't have a life.
~
Two great C3C utilities: CivAssist II (Thread and Download) and CRpSuite : Playing aids and game analysis utils (Thread and Download)
~
You can't take the sky from me!

CommandoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Lord Parkin
aka emperor

Absolutely!
All Leader Challenge games: ALC #26: Willem van Oranje/Dutch
Sisiutil and Lord Parkin take on eight AI teams in a Multiplayer Team Game battle of wits!
Member of: Team Innovia - Civ4 MTDG | Team Saturn - BTS MTDG | Team Sirius - BTS MTDG II
Looking for Civilization III maps? Check out the Parkin Creations CFC Map Library.
Lord Parkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:42 PM   #4
DMOC
Mathematician

Of course!

Immortal: Darius I - Boudica - Julius Caesar
Deity: Gandhi - Churchill - Willem van Oranje - Suryavarman II
DMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
azzaman333
Let's Reset It All

Most certainly.
azzaman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2010, 02:09 AM   #6
Indiansmoke
Deity

Yes
Indiansmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:30 AM   #7
McThomas
Creative Warrior

Yes, i just need my steam account back

RFC wins: Greece, Babylon, Russia, Turkey, England, Persia, Khmer, France
McThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:03 AM   #8
classical_hero
In whom I trust

I would be far more interested in taking a behind the scenes role than playing the game.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Sommerswerd
Sword of the Sun

How many "Yes" votes are needed to get a new forum?
"I WIN!... I always win... Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!?" - General Zod
Sommerswerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:07 AM   #10
DaveShack
Inventor

Forum request sent.

Listening: "A king, in order to be a true leader, must listen with his ears, eyes, and heart, giving his people his undivided attention."
DaveShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Lord Parkin
aka emperor

Great news!

Thanks, Dave.
Sisiutil and Lord Parkin take on eight AI teams in a Multiplayer Team Game battle of wits!
Member of: Team Innovia - Civ4 MTDG | Team Saturn - BTS MTDG | Team Sirius - BTS MTDG II
Looking for Civilization III maps? Check out the Parkin Creations CFC Map Library.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:09 PM   #12
CrimsonEmperor
Chieftain

Anyone interested in a fantasy/rp demo game?

My Blog

My GhostBlog
CrimsonEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:36 AM   #13
remake20
:)

I wouldn't mind playing with a mod, like RoM. Anyone else?
remake20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Lord Parkin
aka emperor

I think the problem is that most people here aren't familiar with most (or all) of the mods. Myself, I've only played one mod a fair amount, and that's Fall From Heaven 2. While it'd be nice to play such a mod with friends for fun, it's really not suited for a competitive multiplayer democracy game, because some civs are vastly superior to others for the expansion/military route - which is inevitably the route demogames always end up taking. (Some civs are even better all-around than others, depending on the map.) In regular BTS, on the other hand, it's more of a level playing field between civs. Plus people are much more familiar with it.

Basically I think it'd be better to play mods with friends (maybe in an intra-team game on your team), rather than reducing the playing field in the demogame by playing with a mod many people are unfamiliar with. Keep in mind, of course, that even if we start with a bunch of people semi-familiar with a mod, there will be newbies and lurkers who join part-way through, and they may not know anything about the mod themselves. So they may not feel they're able to contribute anything, because they don't know how the mod works. Whereas it's pretty much guaranteed that if they're here at this site, they've played the basic Civ4 game, which they'll be familiar with.

So while it's a nice idea, I think it's better to use it for a smaller game with friends than a big demogame.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 05:00 PM   #15
remake20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Parkin View Post
I think the problem is that most people here aren't familiar with most (or all) of the mods. Myself, I've only played one mod a fair amount, and that's Fall From Heaven 2. While it'd be nice to play such a mod with friends for fun, it's really not suited for a competitive multiplayer democracy game, because some civs are vastly superior to others for the expansion/military route - which is inevitably the route demogames always end up taking. (Some civs are even better all-around than others, depending on the map.) In regular BTS, on the other hand, it's more of a level playing field between civs. Plus people are much more familiar with it.

Basically I think it'd be better to play mods with friends (maybe in an intra-team game on your team), rather than reducing the playing field in the demogame by playing with a mod many people are unfamiliar with. Keep in mind, of course, that even if we start with a bunch of people semi-familiar with a mod, there will be newbies and lurkers who join part-way through, and they may not know anything about the mod themselves. So they may not feel they're able to contribute anything, because they don't know how the mod works. Whereas it's pretty much guaranteed that if they're here at this site, they've played the basic Civ4 game, which they'll be familiar with.

So while it's a nice idea, I think it's better to use it for a smaller game with friends than a big demogame.
I know, I just thought it might be interesting. Even if it's not a 150 people Demogame. Though I do think more people will understand the regular. I thought it would be different from just plain old civ.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 05:28 PM   #16
Lord Parkin
aka emperor

I'm keen for a little bit of a variant on the standard demogame as well; that's why I suggested a "double civ" setup where each team in the demogame controls two teamed civs inside the game. That way you get quite a different game from the regular one, without venturing into unfamiliar territory. Instead of one unique unit, you get two; instead of one unique building, you get two; instead of two starting techs, you get up to four; instead of two traits, you get up to four. There are a lot of interesting possibilities as to how that could play out, IMHO.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:29 PM   #17
remake20

Sounds fine to me.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Lord Parkin
aka emperor

I checked out the Rise of Mankind forum just out of interest, and it certainly sounds like a cool mod - I'll definitely try it sometime. But it also sounds like there are a whole host of issues with trying to get (and keep) that mod running in multiplayer, so even if everyone was familiar with it, a demogame would likely be plagued with glitches, which are no fun for anyone. Still, I'd be up for a friendly game of that mod sometime.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:14 PM   #19
CommandoBob
AbstractArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Parkin View Post
I'm keen for a little bit of a variant on the standard demogame as well; that's why I suggested a "double civ" setup where each team in the demogame controls two teamed civs inside the game. That way you get quite a different game from the regular one, without venturing into unfamiliar territory. Instead of one unique unit, you get two; instead of one unique building, you get two; instead of two starting techs, you get up to four; instead of two traits, you get up to four. There are a lot of interesting possibilities as to how that could play out, IMHO.
I like that idea, the Double Civ Setup.

However, from reading through some of the threads regarding the last MTDG, this would definitely generate an interesing start, but would it be enough to keep people interested and participating?

(Disclaimer: I was part of Team Kaz until late January 09, when I bailed out. Not my finest moment, but that is my history.)

Here's my rambling background for my question, and then it might make more sense.

Some Post Game Analysis
In the MTDG the prized role is that of the Turn Player because you get to implement the desires and wishes of your team. It can also involve a lot of work. It appears that one or maybe even two teams fell apart when the 'normal' Turn Player(s) left or were unavailable. That suggests several things. First, that the team structure was faulty, in that the team only had one head and could not survive without that head. Or that no one wanted to be Turn Player, which implies a lack of committment of the team to the game. It might be the case that no one was groomed/mentored on how to be a Turn Player.

There are also other roles in the MTDG, the most visible being Ambassdor/Spokesman for the team to other teams and the MTDG world at large. Sometimes this is handled by one person and other times by one person for each team. But it does give someone a chance to do something besides just post their opinions on things.

At least early in the game, no one is needed to handle city development and city production since this is generally discussed quite thoroughly. Late game could be a different story.

All of which leads me to this less than earth-shattering conculsion: if there are more people on the team than roles to fill, those that have nothing to do will go away, especially if the roles are being performed competently, unless they can make a role for themselves (Team Historian, for instance). And then, if something happens to the team leadership, no one is in place to step in and carry on. Which is what seems to have happened in this game.

I'm not trying to slam any team in any way. Some game related events caused bad feelings and people decided to drop out of the game due to that fact. I did the same thing.

So, while I do like your Double Civ Setup I wonder how it would play out after nine months of gaming.
~
Two great C3C utilities: CivAssist II (Thread and Download) and CRpSuite : Playing aids and game analysis utils (Thread and Download)
~

Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:19 PM   #20
CommandoBob
AbstractArt

Double Civ Setup Suggestions

I would like to add to Lord Parkin's Double Civ Setup in that we have more teams (8 or 10). Each team would have fewer players but we might be able to keep more of them active in the game longer.

I like the idea of two teams being known to each other at the start of the game, but is there a way to limit how long they must know each other? That is, Team A and B are paired up at the start of the game but soon realize they cannot stand each other. How long would they be forced to be paired?

I don't like the initial idea of one team controlling two civs. It seems like more work for the team and one of the civs will be ignored. Having two civs being paired from the start of the game (but not known to the teams involved until after the game is started) gives everyone a 'buddy' to work with, at least for a while.

Again, I like the idea. It is a nice, out-of-the-box kind of thing. I have some issues with the original idea and would like to make it better.
~
~