Deity University - Justinian

My Round 2:

Spoiler :

Turn 62: Wang Kon declared war with me. This caught me totally off-guard.
Turn 63: Zara Yaqob joined the war.
Turn 64: I lost Thesalonica which was defended by 2 Archers, and gave up.

I could have defended against Wang Kon's army had I known it was coming. Is the war due to something I did wrong or just bad luck?

T100:

Spoiler :

How to put yourself behind :
Well.. I didn't build the GLH. Didn't even attempt it (went 1040BC in my game, so I probably would have gotten it). Have lost it a lot when I've tried for it even around T63-64, so I decided to opt it out this time. It hurts! At what point do you figure it's worth a shot to go for it (pros and cons), and how much would it hurt you to miss it only netting some cash?

Also.. I just didn't want my neighbours boating through me to settle behind, so I've played like a mini-Toku all isolated without traderoutes so far. Realized around this time that I probably didn't need to worry about it too much longer, so started opening up.

Did follow my plan from T50 and settled to block Mansa + got the silver-site up. Had to road all the way down there since my research wasn't very good AND I couldn't fit sailing in there to get a decent Aest time.

Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Have setteled 6 cities with the 7th settler in place shortly (by fish+sheep+iron). Also gifted a city to both Toku and Wang Kon early (not like I could afford a lot of cities, and the diplo boost didn't hurt). Razed one poorly placed barb city (bys sheep), still have one barb city to get rid of, but will hook up Iron and get that done soonish.

Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Tech situation isn't the best, and I'm pretty far behind a few submissions (no surprise). So the plan I guess is to finish sailing, bulb Compass with the GS I have in store and catch up. I know it's not an ideal use of the GS, far from it, but I really need to get back in the game like right now.

Tech will pick up soon enough with more focus on cottages (that should've allready been up... I know I promised myself more workers, but well.. I failed again.. next time...), I think, so I still want to try for Lib untill there's no hope.

Religion is kinda hopeless here, so I just stay out of it.

On the positive side, I have unlocked HE at least :)

So plan going forward : Try to salvage my techrate somehow. Head for Lib. (Open up to foreign traderoutes :)). At some point I need to find targets to go after. Toku is getting big. Zara is getting big. Need to scout out the land a bit more. I'm thinking either going after the Bhuddist block or Mansa, but don't know if I'll even be able to get there at this point....

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Attachments

• Justinian Deity University BC-0375 Chk2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    187.9 KB · Views: 35
:lol: Round 2 was finally opened, personally I think 2~3 days should be enough each round for this style. People who are interested will play fast. Players who are late can post later anyway.

@ilovekonoka
Dealing with war is one of the basic skill to be able to be competent on deity level. It's advisable to check for WHEOOHRN every turn and scout your neighbor for their force movement. DOW between turn 60~100 is the easiest to handle.

@Bugg123

Spoiler :

GLH is not necessary in this game although it's the most powerful wonder to help if you can get.

DOW between turn 60~100 is the easiest to handle.

Agreed, a couple archers, an axe, and possible spearman. Whipped walls and you == the winner. Took me a while to get used to it as well. I suggest Bug/Bull, whatever so you see that red fist before troops are on the border.

@Duckweed
2-3 days would be fine but I want to give more people a chance. Granted a week is way too long but perhaps I can stick to 4 days for the future. Others can always submit their rounds after the next rounds are opened as usual.

~~~

Round 2 (turns 50-100)

Spoiler :

Mansa came by and offered this:

How nice of him!

Once again gifted a city to Toku for OB and near DOW immunity.

Mansa is a tech demon this game... really.

Paper at 700BC?

Anyway, everyone started trading with everyone and I was far behind until I got Compass.

Bulbed my first GS rather than an Academy... trying to slow down the pace.

With so many religions around me, I can't adopt one at the moment so I'm sticking to NSR.
Currently in Caste System to get a few more Scientists for Academy/possible Edu bulb.

Noteworthy events: Charley DoW'd Mansa and Mansa bribed Zara on Charley.

Not my best round but seeing as I was falling behind quite a bit I decided to wait on the REX a bit and fix the economy. I can get more cities now, like the barb city for example.

If Mansa beelines Liberalism I have no chance at it. However I'll probably cannon/cataphract his behind which will leave me in a winning position.

More screenies:

I should have tried for Oracle... but pretty much every other Wonder was out of range in my game.

I'm lacking a bit on workers, probably building too much infrastructure as usual. I'm trying to grow Constantinople so workers will have to come from somewhere else I'm afraid. Probably I can delay a few other cities since they're waiting on Irrigation anyway.

Overall I think this is a much easier game than the previous University even though my game looks fast compared to some of the others... I should have gone for at least 1 early wonder I guess :)

Attachments

• kos Justinian Deity University BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    190.5 KB · Views: 53
@Duckweed

Right, thanks for your advice. I couldn't block the attack since I didn't know it was coming. I will be more careful in my future games.

Interesting to see what year some of the wonders went in each game. It seems if you want to go for one as dingding said. Start building it asap and hopefully the AI won't bother if they realise your building it.

I guess in some games the AI were building the Oracle and some the GLh. Pot luck in going for the right one. :)

IMO, I think GLH is more achievable:

1. There is no bonus material so no one can get a start advantage against it (industrious of course does have an edge here.)
2. The AI does not chop with a purpose.
3. Have to be coastal to build it.

For all these reasons it goes later, and can be weaseled more often.

My 2nd round :

Spoiler :

Went for expansion almost exclusively, gifted cities to both WK and Toku.

Techs researched : finished AH -> Fishing -> Writing -> Aesthetics -> Meditation -> Priesthood -> started CoL

Turns :
50 : put overflow into settler, next turn grow to 5 then finish it and kept pumping settlers for a while
55 : Horse revealed in BFC, yay at least it wasn't a complete waste settling in place...
60 : Settled 3rd city to block WK

66 : Settled 4th city to block Toku

72 : Gift city to WK - was probably unnecessary, though he's pleased with his only other neighbour (Gandhi) and only cautious with me, so bad luck on a roll could have meant him declaring on me at any time.
76 : WK builds The Great Lighthouse, I think he'll be my 1st target when I eventually go to war, he seems to be reasonably small too
90 : Gift City to Toku - was a bit late, but him being Buddhist while everyone else over there is running judaism/hindu I think I was reasonably safe, my block city was on a hill just in case anyways, now he's pleased so I should be ok

In other news, finished Aesthetics last turn and have 1 turn into Alpha so tech trades start :
- Aesthetics +75g for HR (Gandhi)
- Aesthetics for Alpha + 40g (Mansa Musa)
- Aesthetics for Math (WK)
- HR for IW (Toku)

Also made a good deal with Toku for more happy faces :

91 : Captured Barb City South, MM did most of the work for me and even then I lost my first chariot with 90%+ odds, at least I got it

93 : Get Calendar gift from ZY, was a big one for me, the tech situation was pretty grim at that point... Zara had also got Aesthetics before me so I I considered it his repayment of my reduced trading opportunities :p

94 : Trade Calendar + 60g for Monarchy (Gandhi)
Also, settled 6th City to block MM...probably a bad location in the long run, there's now 3 cities down there sharing heavy overlap, but I think it was the only way to keep him from breaking into my land.
98 : Trade Aesthetics + Monarchy for Currency + 35g (Charly)

Summary / plans for future:
Spoiler :

I now have 6 cities built with room for a few more (have to finish scouting the desert SW first), with a settler about to finish who will claim the rice/iron site for now. Sadly, I didn't manage to get any wonders (I think you really lose a shot at any of them if you SIP in the beginning here) and the land we're given isn't that spectacular -> my economy is hurting pretty bad and probably will be for quite a while.

Religion hasn't spread to me at all yet (I think I just got confucianism in capital a few turns ago but that's it) so at least I can't make any wrong decisions there for now :p

On the positive side, I did manage to get quite a few tech trades in and I will be able to bulb Philosophy in 3 turns. Considering the fact that WK is the only one who even has CoL right now, I can probably establish a monopoly on philo for a while. The question is whether I want to use it to stir up a medieval war or try for Liberalism myself.

I'd favor Lib but in my situation it's quite a lucky shot and if I lose it I may lose the game right there.
Trying to conquer WK with Cataphracts to gain access to the Great Lighthouse would be my other option, but even if I manage that I'll probably lose the Lib race. Sadly though I didnt manage to unlock the HE yet and probably wont be able to on barbs anymore.
Any opinions on that ?

Some final pics :
My land at T100:

Tech situation :

Capital (will continue growth when GS pops):

Attachments

• Justinian Deity University BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    189.5 KB · Views: 39
My second round sans pics until later:
Spoiler :

Picked up Code Of Laws with the oracle, switched to caste and ran 5 merchants in the triple food city. Avoided BW and bulb'd civil service with a GM picking it up around 800 BC. Chopped the schwedagon off Toku's gold and went into Pacifism. I had gifted Toku and WK a city.

Now its 250 BC and I've got 2 GMs which will give me 2200 gold for trade missions and I've got ~700 gold saved up. Just unlocked the HE which I'm chopping out in the capital with marble. I'll have guilds in 15 turns and I've got the triple food site farmed up - it has to whip a barracks then stable then *Horse Archer. I'll have 20 cataphracts at guilds at 150AD.

WK has the Great Lighthouse so I'll probably take that first. But we'll see what my losses look like. This probably wasn't the best idea to rush to guilds here since I'm sure everyone will have engineering by 100 AD. Except Toku with the pyramids, but we'll have to see his land.

Round 2
Spoiler :
Played it one week ago so some details have been forgotten.

Got great lighthouse on turn 75. Soon thereafter popped silver in my second city. Gandhi gifted me ironworking. Those three events are the reason I am doing as good as I am.

I saw that one ai had aesthetic, but I decide to research it anyway. As I finished all but two ais had it... traded to charles for alphabet I think. Decided to go for literature. Same thing there. When I got it all but two had it!! Nevertheless I knew that almost all ais could only have had it for a few turns and I decided to aim for the great library and I have just slaved it this turn(chopped like crazy too)!

Blocked of mansa with two cities, captured the barb city this turn. Very low on workers and not enough settlers which I am about to start correcting. Perhaps I should have skipped the GL and instead settled more cities. Time will tell. Right now my cities are quite under-developed, but from now on they will grow as much as possible. Have gifted techs to both toku and wang to get them to pleased.

Begged for gold from most of the ais which helped a lot.

I think I am doing fine, but I am not sure what to aim for next. Straight down the liberalism line? I still might miss it. No ai wars yet and they all seem to tech like crazy. I have almost no troops and pray to the RNG that I will not get dowed, but troop production will soon start up too, just need the iron first.

I am undecided about religion, but guess I will go buddhist as soon as I think I can defend agains an anrgy wang (I assuming that mansa will get dowed on sooner or later so that I dont need to worry about him).

Know some misstakes, but I will let anyone who looks at the save have the pleasure to point them out for me :p.

Attachments

• Justinian DeUni 100T BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    174.5 KB · Views: 36
@Kossin:
Spoiler :

Going sailing -> compass rather than using aest as tradechip seems a whole lot better than what I was doing. Wish I had thought of that.. easy to get stuck in "I...must...get..to.. Aest"-mode. Would improve my techrate "a lot" too.

At least if I deared OB at least some of the AI without risking them settling behind. (which didn't seem like much of an issue here anyways... just had Zara's attempts from previous Uni in mind)

@Duckweed

Spoiler :

Played next turnset and was ok without GLH too. Would've been handy to have, though.

Just trying to figure out when others decide it's worth going for or not.

@Kossin:
Spoiler :

Going sailing -> compass rather than using aest as tradechip seems a whole lot better than what I was doing. Wish I had thought of that.. easy to get stuck in "I...must...get..to.. Aest"-mode. Would improve my techrate "a lot" too.

At least if I deared OB at least some of the AI without risking them settling behind. (which didn't seem like much of an issue here anyways... just had Zara's attempts from previous Uni in mind)

Spoiler :
Basically, when you see 1 AI getting Aesthetics early, it's better to get another trade chip as by the time you finish it and before you can trade it for something, odds are that civ will sell it to the highest bidders, leaving you empty handed. Compass paid off in my game but someone could have gone that path as well.

GLH is usually decided if A) Capital coastal and a lot of coastal cities B) No Industrious civs and lot of forests with easy blocking (narrow land is great like here)

Like Duckweed said, it's not necessary (no Wonder is necessary ever, but at times they are very useful) but it's pretty powerful here. Looking at the 10 cities Sleepless got with a great tech rate for example...

Let's move this on.

Round III (turns 100-150) is now officially open!

• You may now openly talk about Round I&II (turns 0-50;50-100) but anything from Round III should be spoilered!
  • Round I&II submissions are still accepted [there will never be a closing date for rounds] but beware that there might be some spoiler information posted from now on.
  • It would be greatly appreciated if any spoiler information from beyond turn 150 be kept out of the thread until Round IV is opened. If you don't, the next game you generate will spawn Deity Shaka with BFC copper 5 tiles away in semi-isolation!

T150:

Spoiler :

Well.. managed to salvage my techrate somehow. Won Lib 520AD (tight)
Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Was no real point to try out Cataprachts (I hope someone went for them), so I decided to beeline mil trad and try for spies+curassiers again. Probably target Mansa who's starting to pull ahead in tech. If he gets rifles, I'll try for Wang Kon + Ghandi. If that doesn't work out, I'm toast. Don't really want to go for toku and friends right now.

Buildup to war has startet T150, will need a few turns to get a decent stack together, but hopefully it'll be earlier than last time. I have no idea where Mansa is heading, but spypoints will get there quikly from here.

Tech:
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Diplo: (not amazing)
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Empire:
Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Probably should've just had Heroic Epic in capitol, but somehow didn't. Don't know for how long I'll stay in Buro.

At least I'm alive, everything will depend on the war...

Attachments

• Justinian Deity University AD-0800 chck3.CivBeyondSwordSave
    279 KB · Views: 40
Round 3

Spoiler :

Spent most of this round just growing my cities a bit. Filling in some gaps. Make a start on some military but still very weak. Big failure again is my lack of GPs.

Highlights for me was CS 150BC. Don't usually get that so early but well on my way to Lib. Paper 25AD. My hoped for GS for Edu was a GM which was sent to the ToA city for a trade mission so at least I could run at 100% science through Edu. Was able to pick up most of philo in trade and 1 bulb into Lib and managed to get it 375AD.

This was the tech screen just before with me trying to decide what to take. Even got up in the middle of the night to load it up and see if it was feasible to get Astro (sad isn't it :)). Nat seemed a waste as Mansa/Wk already had it so with a couple of trades ended up taking PP.

I was able to pick up Nat in 400AD and had hoped to get the Taj as I had a lot of forests in one city but missed out by a few turns to Zara in 560AD.

So just carried on teching and decided to attack Tok as my first target. At the time I had plans for Osaka as an Ironworks city (but wasn't to be :(). Only trouble was he and Zara were conf and i knew if I attacked he would vassal to Zara. Now as Charlie was in WHEEOH with -9 against Zara there was no doubt going to be a war in the near future so it was just a case of waiting.

Current tech situation. All the AI bar Tok are at pleased. Also a few of the AI are in merc cutting down the GLH trade routes but I'm just about to start Oxford so that is going to help the tech rate.

So things still looking good with the 2 biggest AI not on good terms. 3 AI very small and Ghandi. The one thing I did miss out on was opening the HE. To counter that though I did get the GLib in 325BC. Which did turn out to be the last world wonder I built.

Future plans. Show some of the smaller AI the error in there ways of not being part of the Byzantium nation. :)

Attachments

• Sleepless Justinian DU AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    243.6 KB · Views: 82
Hi
I am big fun of this forum and this is my first post.
First of all many thanks to all of you. You doing great job with threads like this. learned lots here.

Unfortunately I have found this thread only 4 days ago, but decided to shadow and compare my results to those of yours in order to learn more.
Will it be ok if I post details of my game with brief description of first 100 turns?

Thanks again!

@Gkey:

Hi and welcome!

You are welcome to post details of your game. Anything up to T100 can be discussed openly. T100-T150 must be in spoiler tags. Anything beyond T150 must be withheld untill Round 4 opens.

Round III

Spoiler :

I got GliB and made my way carefully to liberalism. liberalism at 350AB, took nationalism.

Built taj mahal and shot out first in techs

with a couple stacked GA's thanks to thessilonica

Founded Taoism in Ardantinople (junk horse city) @ 175 BC.

Currently building up Curassiers and Spies. I am going to carve through WK, then Ghandi, then Toku, then Mansa. Upgrading to Cav somewhere along the way. (I know I could probably take mansa now and have an easier time, but I really would like to seal off a huge chunk of land in the other direction more.) I just like it that way.

now with photobucket

Attachments

• Justinian Deity University AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    256.9 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom