How removed features could be implemented

Well..

Civ is a game, not a reality simulator. So, logically, gameplay comes first. If it were a history simulator then gameplay would be secondary and there'd be about 10 people intersted in it.

Some elements you think are missing were never realistically implimented in previous versions of civ.

Threads like this, for a variety of games, not just civ, crack me up, where people are talking about modifying games that aren't even out yet that people haven't even tried.

I thought removing health was a bad move. The problem wasn't with the health mechanic, it was the ratios of the easy of being unhappy VS the effect of being unhappy, compared to the ease of being unhealthy VS the effect of being unhealthy. That is to say that while being unhappy VS being unhealthy occur at around the same rates, being unhappy killed a whole citizen's production per unit, and being unhealthy only took away 1 food per unit. If being unhealthy and unhappy caused the same level of harm, as well as health and happiness causing the same level of benefit, the system would have worked very well.

The removal of health also made some things not make sense. Now food resources are much worse than luxury resources, aqueducts and recycling centres are kind of pointless, and fresh water has no benefit. Why couldn't they keep in health, and tweaked it a bit?

Other than simplicity, there's only one other argument I can construct for the removal of health. While happiness makes you interact with other civs, health generally doesn't. Make of that what you will.

I thought removing health was a bad move. The problem wasn't with the health mechanic, it was the ratios of the easy of being unhappy VS the effect of being unhappy, compared to the ease of being unhealthy VS the effect of being unhealthy. That is to say that while being unhappy VS being unhealthy occur at around the same rates, being unhappy killed a whole citizen's production per unit, and being unhealthy only took away 1 food per unit. If being unhealthy and unhappy caused the same level of harm, as well as health and happiness causing the same level of benefit, the system would have worked very well.

The removal of health also made some things not make sense. Now food resources are much worse than luxury resources, aqueducts and recycling centres are kind of pointless, and fresh water has no benefit. Why couldn't they keep in health, and tweaked it a bit?

Other than simplicity, there's only one other argument I can construct for the removal of health. While happiness makes you interact with other civs, health generally doesn't. Make of that what you will.

The main problem with the health mechanism in Civ4 was that it was a duplication of the happiness mechanism, which didn't really add that much to gameplay.

Fresh water still has benefits in Civ5. You can't build certain buildings unless your city is next to fresh water and fresh water farms produce an additional food with the discovery of Civil Service. Aqueducts and recycling centres are no longer in the game.

Yes of course, it seems simple. We could manually shift food from New York to Chicago, the game calculates a cost depending on distance and road connections, doesn't sound that complicated.

I meant what all shifts should be made automatically, with some indicator of overall food balance. I understand, what the food can't be distributed even, but at least if you have positive amount of food, you may be sure no one is starving.

The only manual control not to be a micromanagement hell is an ability to set "growth priority" for cities. Like checkbox in city list. These cities gain food first.

I do agree with some of your ideas (PO, spy-unit, mabey agrculture), however I disagree with changing the socail policy system to match Civ IV's civic system. My first reason is that no on here has really played the game and learn to love the new system, while we have with the old one.

I agree what we should play first. That's one of the reasons why I left the government area unfilled.

5. Empire-wide agriculture. Rather new feature, which, if properly implemented, could allow further city specialization.
This biggest problem with doing this is that the game mechanics weren't designed with this in mind so they're not really a good fit, well not if you're trying to simulate the real world.

The core of the problem is that each tile is handled the same regardless of what it produces, so a single 'farm' tile requires the same population to work as a single 'town' or 'mine' will. So you'll never end up with a case of low population density farmlands like the midwest USA because those cities will need to be just as large as your production/research centers in order to be able to work all of the tiles needed to produce enough surplus food. If Civ abstracted population more it would be easy, but then it wouldn't be Civ anymore.

If Civ abstracted population more it would be easy, but then it wouldn't be Civ anymore.

You don't need abstract population for empire-wide agriculture. It could stay the same. The only changing is what cities with higher food production will transfer some of their food to starving ones.

While religion evolves through (for example) spiritualism, polytheism and monotheism, civilization gets some bonuses.

Is'n this more or less the way how the religion is implemented through SP? And why religion should end in monotheism?

Is'n this more or less the way how the religion is implemented through SP? And why religion should end in monotheism?

Well, all known religions stopped at monotheism (well, buddhism could be called zerotheism, but they still worship Buddha :) ). And no - that's not how it was ever implemented.

Religions could be really easy to introduce adding new technologies and a new mechanic.In my opinion in Civ4 if they had a system in which religion influence was dynamic so that more ancient religions weren't widespread everywhere while newer one didn't spread, we wouldn't call today it a bad implementation.

Religions are very well implemented in cIV actually, it was not uncommon at all that religion was widely used and manipulated with politic means in human history, freely adopting religious systems, merging religions or even enforcing it as a means of cultural domination.
Their spread is right as well, it was very much affected by trade routes and specially distance, the religious wonder emphasized it´s spread, and missionaries weren´t cheap at all. The more religions a city had the more dificult it was to introduce a new one, and every new religion counted in a lesser extent (primary religion, secondary religion, etc), this was reflected in the percentages (F7 I believe).
SO, they were thoroughly implemented and with very good mechanics, what they truly lack is a mean to rip off a religion from a city, a sort of general inquisition at medieval stages (introduced with guilds maybe) and which needs Theocracy to be used.
Regretfully enough, religions and governments are out in ciV..

Religions are very well implemented in cIV actually, it was not an common at all that religion was widely used and manipulated with politic means in human history, freely adopting religious systems, merging religions or even enforcing it as a means of cultural domination.
Their spread is right as well, it was very much affected by trade routes and specially distance, the religious wonder emphasized it´s spread, and missionaries weren´t cheap at all. The more religions a city had the more dificult it was to introduce a new one, and every new religion counted in a lesser extent (primary religion, secondary religion, etc), this was reflected in the percentages (F7 I believe).
SO, they were thoroughly implemented and with very good mechanics, what they truly lack is a mean to rip off a religion from a city, a sort of general inquisition at medieval stages (introduced with guilds maybe) and which needs Theocracy to be used.
Regretfully enough, religions and governments are out in ciV..

At least in my games in Civ4 religion influence was quite static during games.
In a 18 civ scenario usually at the beginning civs were divided among Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jewish religion. When all religion were available 2-3 civs converted to Taoism, Confucianism or Christianity.Only rarely there was a civilization adopting Islam.
Even if there was a way to eradicate religions it wouldn't have changed a lot considering that earlier religion got a big advantage.
Without a dynamic system which is not influenced by what religion is founded first you'll see hardly this mechanic working.

That's questionable - I heard people here disabling the BtS espionage completely.

To be fair, just because people didn't like it, doesn't mean it wasn't implemented properly. That might sound weird, but the context I was talking about was that it made use of the GP system, the slider, proper building progression (like Libraries to universities, GP specific buildings, et al) and quite honestly, affectively achieved it's primary goal of great information gathering. Even if you didn't invest in it enough to perform missions, you could usually invest in it enough to gain enemy visibility and to at the very least spy on opponents research patterns.

Basically, what I'm saying is for a feature that came two expansions later... it was fit into the design of the game quite seemlessly.

That doesn't change the fact that it didn't exist in the game for several years, and thus plenty of people didn't want to deal with the new system.

To be fair, just because people didn't like it, doesn't mean it wasn't implemented properly.
I think the word you're look for is integrated, not implemented. It was definately seemlessly integrated but the quality of its implimentation is subject to opinion. :)

I think the word you're look for is integrated, not implemented. It was definately seemlessly integrated but the quality of its implimentation is subject to opinion. :)

Yea, integrated would be a better word, thanks.

The core of the problem is that each tile is handled the same regardless of what it produces, so a single 'farm' tile requires the same population to work as a single 'town' or 'mine' will. So you'll never end up with a case of low population density farmlands like the midwest USA because those cities will need to be just as large as your production/research centers in order to be able to work all of the tiles needed to produce enough surplus food. If Civ abstracted population more it would be easy, but then it wouldn't be Civ anymore.

There's another approach that wouldn't require abstracting population: introduce an economies of scale mechanic with diminishing returns similar to the one that was used in MULE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.L.E.) where adjacent properties (tiles) engaged in the same activity get a production bonus and have the bonus apply at a diminishing rate. Here's how I propose it could work:

- A tile is an agricultural tile once a farm has been built on it or a food resource has been improved;
- Adjacent agricultural tiles that are being simultaneously worked by the city get a food production bonus (economy of scale);
- An agricultural tile with one adjacent agricultural tile would get a food production bonus of X;
- An agricultural tile with three adjacent agricultural tiles would get a food production bonus of 2X (diminishing return to scale: you need two more adjacent farms to get the extra X);
- An agricultural tile with six adjacent agricultural tiles would get a food production bonus of 3X (diminishing returns to scale: you need three more adjacent farms to get the extra X).

The step progression in the threshold for higher bonuses fits neatly with the new hex pattern for the landscape. It would hopefully be relatively easy to mod, since you wouldn't need to change any fundamental game dynamics (well, I guess it might become necessary to rebalance growth thresholds somewhat). Farms in the outer ring would be unable to get a higher bonus than 2X - arguably you could put this down to spoilage during transport or something...

Assuming that a city were to completely specialize in agriculture, the total food production bonus would be: 6 x 3X + 12 x 3X + 24 x 2X = 102X. Based on currently available data (thanks Arioch for an excellent website), a city working 36 grassland tiles improved with farms would produce a minimum of 108 food (subject to modifiers like adjacent to river, civil service, other?). So, in effect, if X = 1 unit of food, an agricultural city could effectively double its output and serve as the "breadbasket" of your civilization.

In terms of food trading - why not base it on the existing trade route system in the sense that it would need to be run through the capital? Here are my thoughts in this regard:

- The capital collects a portion of the food surplus generated by (agricultural) cities;
- The collected food is then distributed first to cities with food production deficits and then equally among (non-agricultural) cities.

The portion collected by the capital would be determined by the player. The terms in (parentheses) indicate variables that would need to be determined by the player. That is, you would need to indicate whether a city was agricultural or not. Conversely, those terms could just be dropped and the mechanic simply be applied to all cities.

The distribution could be equal in a simple sense (i.e. same amount of food sent to each recipient). This would have the effect of increasing the growth rate of smaller cities relative to larger ones (assuming old growth threshold mechanic). Or it could be equal in the sense of distributing the surplus pro-rated by city size.

I would argue that this is a relatively simple mechanic, free from the micro-management concerns that some people have voiced, but I'm always open to constructive criticism. (My thanks to Aussie Lurker for turning me onto the trade routes idea).

I really like the idea of empire-wide agriculture (I started a thread about it earlier). In my opinion, it has the potential to make each city in your empire matter much more. Consider: under current game rules, if you lose your "agricultural" city, what's the upshot for the rest of your empire? There are empire-wide effects in terms of lost science and culture production, but there's pretty well zero impact on your other cities. Now, consider losing your agricultural city if its food were to be supporting several other "industrial" centres. Suddenly, they're starving. Population drops, happiness may be impacted (I seem to remember that starvation was a factor in happiness in previous games), and production begins to grind to a halt. It raises real strategic questions with respect to how you want to build your empire. Do you make each city self-sufficient, but sacrifice the productive benefits of specialization? Or do you build a web interdependent cities that are able to specialize and therefore attain higher levels of production? When you're about to invade, do you go for your opponent's centres of production or their food supply?

Regards,

Pooh

I noticed in a screen shot that it's already possible to assign cities priorities like food, production, etc. "Agricultural" cities for the purpose of redistributing food surpluses could simply be those tagged for food production under this existing game mechanic.

Well, all known religions stopped at monotheism (well, buddhism could be called zerotheism, but they still worship Buddha :) ).

Not necessarily true - there are still some polytheistic flavors of Hinduism, for example; Shinto is also polytheistic, as is much Buddhism.

And of course some hard-core monotheists claim that trinitarian Christian does not count as monotheism.

Not necessarily true - there are still some polytheistic flavors of Hinduism, for example; Shinto is also polytheistic, as is much Buddhism.

And of course some hard-core monotheists claim that trinitarian Christian does not count as monotheism.

Religions could stop before reaching Monotheism - in Polytheism (like Hinduism) or Spiritualism (as Shinto), no problems.

Top Bottom