SGOTM 12 - One Short Straw

We have now founded our third city, and England has built the Great Wall. I'll finish my turn set when we get to CS (hopefully) tomorrow morning.

The AI is so stupid. They have the GW to keep the non-existent barbs from entering their culture... :lol:

I can't look at the saves now, but it appears that things are going well. Great job so far, mdy! :goodjob:

I don't see any problems with us getting CS now. The new worker should either road Moscow 2NW, then road Fish cows, and onward toward wherever we're going to settle up there, or road the horses and toward the Moscow rice.

CS seems very likely now. :thumbsup: I'd prefer committing the next worker to Moscow rice, as I've stated before. I guess we need to decide before completing this set?

So, we did get another marble. :blush: A city on top of that would be good, with 1S of silver first as previously agreed upon. Corn/stone is kinda close to DG...

This is what I was proposing for Moscow (pop 9 by T102). We can grow it further in the BC's with (silk+fur)x2, if researching Calendar. The Construction move is silly. This game is just slow and we have quite a few solid city sites to claim. I'm leaning towards settling the land peacefully and making the move on DG with mace/cat significantly later. I played quickly and made a few stupid MM moves, but it should be approximately right. It's from my previous CS run, so slightly different than the actual game at this point.

Attachments

• OneShortStraw12TS06TestBBP5_BC-0350.CivBeyondSwordSave
    143.4 KB · Views: 52
Hey Silu!!! What do you think about this question:For example, I'm thinking about the idea of gifting an AI a nearby city, then DoWing, recapturing, DoP+city, DoW, recapture, ad infinitum, till DoP is worth the price of their advanced tech.

The success is reset on DoP, so no. So it's nearly impossible to get any kind of decent techs from DoP after the early game. Certainly virtually impossible with just a single city capture :) (plus the diplo demerits make it kinda unviable as pointed out)

Unfortunately the 1520 B.C. autosave appears to have been overwitten. We do have saves on either side of it so I hope this does not cause too many problems.

Moscow would be a very strong city at size 9, the problem is growing that far would significantly delay our rex, so perhaps this should wait until we start our military buildup to take Paris?

I was thinking of sending our new worker to scrub the rice in galley city. We should have copper hooked up soon so we have no need of an early chariot and

I think the Galley City rice is very low priority right now. The Moscow rice serves the same purpose of :health: and lets us grow Moscow. Also higher priority is roading to the silver and marble sites and scrubbing them. dG has been building archers non-stop for many turns now. For now, we should assume the axe rush won't pay off. We need to REX. To REX, we need roads.

We should never send two workers to the same unroaded fallout tile. We should always road a fallout tile when we have a worker there. We can't afford to throw away worker turns left and right.

We have successfully got CS from the Oracle.

There are two French archers (one with combat 1) hanging around to the west, so I have sent our scout there back to the galley city, which is currently in danger of culture flipping to France.

Unbelievably Gandhi still does not have writing and is incredibly backwards for 1000B.C. If we want a fairly early peace we may need to research alphabet ourselves.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    91.1 KB · Views: 73
  • AutoSave_BC-1160.CivBeyondSwordSave
    91.6 KB · Views: 67
  • AutoSave_BC-1120.CivBeyondSwordSave
    91.9 KB · Views: 63
  • AutoSave_BC-1080.CivBeyondSwordSave
    93.3 KB · Views: 120
  • AutoSave_BC-1040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    94.3 KB · Views: 61
Oops, guys...I commited an irreversible move unexpectedly, so I uploaded the new save over the old one. If you've already downloaded it, download the newer version. That was the bad news. The good news is that we are now at peace with Gandhi... :lol: I traded him Writing+Medit+whatever the third tech he wanted...

Edit: Oh shiiii...ttt. This is horrible news, I think. I also traded Galley City. Faaawwwkkk. I can't believe it. NO wonder he went for it. Sorry guys. I really screwed up.

That's surprising. I tried to offer him a similar deal on the off chance he would take it and he refused. I wonder what could have changed his mind?

It looks like we made peace by gifting him galley city instead of a third tech.

In the circumstances I think we will have to abandon plans to take on France in the near future and concentrate on making up to Gandhi and peacefully rexing. If we go after Paris it will have to wait till we have maces.

How about CoL?

Well, if he gets COnfucianism, which we could spread to him, we could immediatley start collecting common religion points with him. (I'm thinking about after OBs, etc.) He's going after Mono, though,. If we want to get him up to Friendly that is.

Do we get any credit for the techs we just "gifted" him? I mean, he would hvae given us peace for Galley City without the three techs I threw in by accident.

Okay, we have a 50% chance, depending on the randoms dG and Gandhi started with, that dG will be Ganshi's WE after we gain one more plusmod with Gandhi. Then Gandhi will trade and sign OBs with us.

Do we get any credit for the techs we just "gifted" him? I mean, he would hvae given us peace for Galley City without the three techs I threw in by accident.
No, we don't. I didn't notice any effect in testing, regardless of tech value gifted.

I'll try to do some calc later today. Math won't be enough and we're too far away from Currency to sweeten a deal with cash, so I think we'll need to gift COL asap and keep our fingers crossed. It sucks we won't have anything to give him for Alpha - both for further DoPs and the discount on Currency.

I have no problem giving him CS for ALpha plus a bundle of techs. We want him to be our reserach ally, probably. AFter the initial shock of the fkp, I'm reviewing this. Maybe it's not a bad thing at all. With impreialistic, a city for DoP is perhaps our cheapest optino anyway (ignoring the cherries I threw in).

The question is, how many techs will he give us. Plus, now that he knows 3 other AIs, it may be a bit harder to get him to trade techs, less AIs know.

We could trade Civil Service to Gandhi for alphabet and most of the other minor techs. Yes, it's an expensive tech, but Gandhi has so many techs that we would still get our money's worth, especially when you consider the discount on currency, and that it enables peace/trades with other Civs. It would significantly speed up the AI's techs, but in my view this is a good thing as it will enable us to do more trades with them sooner than we would otherwise have done.

Fortunately fish is our holy city so if we make up with Gandhi he should liberate it too us once we start putting down culture on that tile.

I agree with spreading Confuicanism to him as soon as we can get open borders.

EDIT: xpost with LC

Top Bottom