Full Patch Notes for December Patch

You can't have two improvements in the same tile, so no landmark+mine. But as far as I know one improvement can provide both normal yields and culture. I never tried to do it though.

This is already available in mods, and I'm sure will be again post-patch.

ok, cities are more powerful now. I just re-read the notes, missed that cities heal faster (+2 per round instead of +1 I assume) AND defensive buildings increase healing rate. so +3 with walls, +4 with castle, +5 with mb? and horse units are -50% vs cities, archers weaker as well? plus city power ramps up more with technology? this is very nebulous, but if it ramps up enough then it will definitely be usefull. Universal suffrage could actually be useful if your core cities are already 120 defense, though I think a bigger buff than 33% would make it more useful still. the increased city heal rates are like increasing city hp in all but the most lopsided situations. definitely much better overall city defense, :thumbsup:

Gets my vote - the spectical of 4-6 Units (horsemen et al) stomping across a Continent sweeping all before was way over the top. Press enter key enough times with the odd mouse click - game over.

Ok, thats a little bit of an exageration for sure, but it was daft, and good to see they picked it up and rebalanced.

It was verging on an arcade game in that regard, and the latter is not what Civ is about. Civ meant to be a game where the brain is used more than emotion, so personally, I'm all for it, its a good change.

Regards
Zy

Yeah, now it will be next to impossible to capture cities - a great way to make up for an incompetent AI that will never be able to compete in the field of battle. :D

not next to impossible, just reasonably difficult instead of ridiculously easy. an organized warrior rush can still work, as can horses, but you'll take more damage and might take a turn or two longer to take a decent city, giving the opponent more time to recover.

did you play cIV? it was enormously more difficult to take well-defended cities in cIV than even a highly buffed city in ciV.

Speaking of capturing cities, I like that the siege units will be more powerful against cities, and less powerful against everything else. City attack should be the primary use of such units, which is usually not the case now.

Do any of those various tweaks include stopping the chronic verbal diarrhea of AIs that are hopelessly behind. They're behind, to the tune of 1/10th the running score of the two leaders, they hate me, the human and the runaway, and every other turn I have to click either 'you'll pay for this' or 'very well' to the same repetitive insults. Can I get a disable button?

Granted, I give you points for realism as they're all acting like north Korea and Iran at the moment, but it's monotonous and slow having the click through to the same insult over and over and over and over and over and over...

Oh and is there any fix for having to click next turn twice? Once to start end of turn and once to restart after adjusting the units (are their orders interrupted, it's never clear). Often I'll have a worker that I have to go back and assign a new build task to or something.

Speaking of capturing cities, I like that the siege units will be more powerful against cities, and less powerful against everything else. City attack should be the primary use of such units, which is usually not the case now.

I really like the concept, but it's tough in practice. balance-combined has str of cat/treb/canon/art as 11/16/21/24 but they are +100% vs cities and +50% vs fortified units. I assume that we'll see something similar with the patch, though just for cat/treb. hopefully canon/artillery won't keep the -vs cities- bonus or those could become very OP'd in the mid game. if archers/xbows still lose their promotions then siege will still probably be the way to go unless you're iron-limited imho.

not next to impossible, just reasonably difficult instead of ridiculously easy. an organized warrior rush can still work, as can horses, but you'll take more damage and might take a turn or two longer to take a decent city, giving the opponent more time to recover.

did you play cIV? it was enormously more difficult to take well-defended cities in cIV than even a highly buffed city in ciV.

Yes. I believe it should be reasonably difficult up to Emperor and very difficult on Immortal and Deity. Combined with the strengthening of the capital, I hope a Domination victory would be tough instead of the way too easy cheese that it is now.

It's my understanding that "natural yields" are Food, Production, Gold *and Science*. For no apparent reason Culture was left out; this is unfortunate as it prevents some modding possibilities.

I meant what we can modify right on Tiles by putting improvements via workers - only. Besides, Science is "also" a feature driven asset aimed at gathering beakers for techno tree progress.
Don't forget we no longer have the Civ4 +/- percentage sliders to adjust some global impacts too. As such, fine-tuning a few pertinent functional elements (within provided calculations & vanilla effects) is more Modder-Friendly than it once was.

Declarations of Friendship and Denounciations sound interesting. Does anyone know more about this?

How can we be friends if victory is all that matters?

Will Denounciations have an explicit motivation like: "we denounce Napoleon for being a warmonger, or a land-grabber", etc...?
With the possibility for other civs to respond maybe this will help the small civs to join forces to resist runaways. (maybe they could use Defensive Pacts a little more too)

And nothing was said about the turn-lag issue? Seems to be a major problem for many of us... or maybe it's the kind of thing that you try to fix without talking about it.

I meant what we can modify right on Tiles by putting improvements via workers - only. Besides, Science is "also" a feature driven asset aimed at gathering beakers for techno tree progress.
Don't forget we no longer have the Civ4 +/- percentage sliders to adjust some global impacts too. As such, fine-tuning a few pertinent functional elements (within provided calculations & vanilla effects) is more Modder-Friendly than it once was.

I see. Perhaps I should have left the bit about tile yields out - I'm much more concerned with being able to create culture-per-pop buildings, which are afaik not possible now. Anyway, my original question stands: In your (or any other experienced modder's) opinion, is there any indication that Culture will become a typical yield, given that Natural Wonders will now be giving Culture?

Thanks for your responses though!:)
(Sorry I haven't been very clear, I'm a little under caffeinated today :p)

I'm worried that our expectations are getting a little low here. So much joy over fixing something that simply should not have been broken in the first place.
This.

I only use the dancing banana emoticon, if something truly amazing and worth of praise has happened. Fixing the science overflow is just way overdue, a bug that should have never happened in the first place.

I see. Perhaps I should have left the bit about tile yields out - I'm much more concerned with being able to create culture-per-pop buildings, which are afaik not possible now. Anyway, my original question stands: In your (or any other experienced modder's) opinion, is there any indication that Culture will become a typical yield, given that Natural Wonders will now be giving Culture?

There is no need for it to be a true yield for that; It would be extremely easy to do via lua.

Add a new tag to buildings (easily done with sql) called "CulturePerPop" or something similar.

Then in lua, do the following:
  1. Hook into ActivePlayerTurnStart
  2. Loop all players, so it applies to AI as well as human.
  3. Loop all cities of the player.
  4. Check all buildings in the city for a non-zero value in the new tag.
  5. If found, add to a counter, and keep checking buildings.
  6. Once all buildings are checked, counter should hold the total amount from all buildings in the city. At this point, multiply the counter by the city's population, add to player culture.

I've done similar things in some unreleased mods.

There is no need for it to be a true yield for that; It would be extremely easy to do via lua.

Add a new tag to buildings (easily done with sql) called "CulturePerPop" or something similar.

Then in lua, do the following:
  1. Hook into ActivePlayerTurnStart
  2. Loop all players, so it applies to AI as well as human.
  3. Loop all cities of the player.
  4. Check all buildings in the city for a non-zero value in the new tag.
  5. If found, add to a counter, and keep checking buildings.
  6. Once all buildings are checked, counter should hold the total amount from all buildings in the city. At this point, multiply the counter by the city's population, add to player culture.

I've done similar things in some unreleased mods.

Thank you sir!:hatsoff:

No, this doesn't provide an indication either way. The easier way to implement this for Firaxis is to do what they did everywhere else and add a culture tag to features.

I think with some determination you could write a Lua mod to turn culture into something that is essentially a yield, though. Which doesn't mean that I think it's a worthwhile effort.

Research overflow?
:banana:

I'm worried that our expectations are getting a little low here. So much joy over fixing something that simply should not have been broken in the first place.

For your convenience, here are my 'patchable' complaints from another thread:
Broadly speaking my core complaints with civ5 that could be addressed with patching are in the categories:

(no order of importance)

x) Performance and Optimisation. Things like the individual unit pathfinding with the mouse being too slow to accept a user input (showing a red 'invalid' circle for too long), or turn times taking too long. I don't know if loading savegames can be made to work faster, but I really hope so.
y) No research overflow (yay it's getting fixed :))
z) Lacking MP functionality. In particular the lack of PBEM and pitboss modes. (Hotseat is not something that I personally use, but think should be added as well)
w) Fix any crash-causing bugs, and game-breaking bugs. If there's something like a 10% chance my game will become impossible to continue in the late era, it strongly discourages me from starting a new game. The impression I'm getting is that many of the late-game crashes were related to the problem with the way the game was making savegames, running out of memory and crashing. Crashes are the worst bugs of all, especially for a game that takes a long time to load and then a long time to load a savegame.

My expectations aren't lowering, but I'm just happy that overflow has been fixed. Considering that there was an argument about it on the forum and that Firaxis had not said a single word about it before this patch note, it's relieving to see it mentioned. Just let me do my dance ok. :banana:

Originally Posted by phantomkp
So the actual release date of the game is Dec 16th.

Who cares? Whats the diff? :p

What I meant was, instead of getting a patch that actually improves on poor game mechanics and design, all we are getting is a patch that just fixes the things that really should have been picked up on in Beta testing.

We still have to wait for some of those things that really break the game. Off the top of my head: lack of depth, cookie-cutter approach to each game, issues with 1UPT and early game production snooze fest etc.

Right, which is why i say just pretend you bought the game on Dec 16th. Play it. Whatever problems you have with it, then come on here to complain about having fixed to suit your playstyle.

Just pretend this patch is the release! Much less stress for you :)

Originally Posted by PieceOfMind
Research overflow?
:banana:

Hey thats the best kind of joy! Dont knock it...

Are you trying to deflate the joy women felt when they won the right to vote, or african americans felt when slavery was abolished??

:high5:

Oh and is there any fix for having to click next turn twice? Once to start end of turn and once to restart after adjusting the units (are their orders interrupted, it's never clear). Often I'll have a worker that I have to go back and assign a new build task to or something.

I believe it happens when you have a unit on an automated path that does not use its full movement, which it then prompts you to do.

Another situation is when you have a worker improving a tile that is in range of being captured by an enemy within your vision, regardless of the terrain or units between them. (If the unit is actually blocked but could reach the worker on flat terrain it will interrupt the worker.)

If this is wrong I apologize, but it's what I've been able to decipher.

I really hope that modders can do something with rebels now that they're in.

something along the lines of: more unhappiness increases the chances and number of rebels appearing.

If modders don't do something with rebels, I fear we simply won't ever see them; unless the player intentionally ignores happiness. It's great that rebels are in; unfortunate that we'll never see them or even have to worry about them.

I believe it happens when you have a unit on an automated path that does not use its full movement, which it then prompts you to do.

Another situation is when you have a worker improving a tile that is in range of being captured by an enemy within your vision, regardless of the terrain or units between them. (If the unit is actually blocked but could reach the worker on flat terrain it will interrupt the worker.)

I never understood it until now.

Top Bottom