Post short tips here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pragmatic

Prince
Post your tips that are so simple, they shouldn't even need to be said (but no-one thinks to ask about...):

Mine: When you find a strategic resource that can run out (everything but horses...), DON'T immediately run a road out to it. Bear in mind, resources are going to run out, eventually. Might as well let it sit there, until you need it. I've found it's best to build lots of units that don't need that resource, then hook up, upgrade, and destroy the road.

When you find multiples of a strategic resource, hook up to one at a time. It doesn't matter if you're using it or not, it'll run out the same no matter what.

Anyone else?

In four games, I've seen strategic resourses run out twice, both times it was iron (the second time, it ran out within a dozen turns of me finding it actually) but both times it popped up somewhere else shortly... either I've been lucky, or resourses running out shouldn't be much of a common problem (like corruption, argh).

From the very beginning of the game, build mines on grasslands with shield, and irrigate grasslands without shield. Only grasslands with shield AND mine will benefit from the 50% shield bonus the railroad gives.

/Regards Kayser

I read somewhere (the official site, I think) that resources run out randomly. The gist was that you should not bother to conserve building with them. I cannot confirm this myself.

I wonder if they can 'randomly' disappear if you have not used them at all?

Comments?

Always build walls. An ancient unit can take out well near anything if it's behind walls, but not much stands without the wall.

Never, ever, EVER declare war just to take one city. You'll be embroiled for a lot more than just that city.

The ink still wet on that agreement you signed with another country? Found out that you thought your two supplies of iron would last forever but now one of them dried up. Well if you were using one and trading the other your partner (the person you traded to) is not going to lose their supply, you will! Want to get it back? Good. So here is what you do. Cut off all roads leading to their civilization. This possibly a great strat/cheat if you use it to get sciences (haven't tried it with sciences yet). It deffinately got my iron back to me!

The startegy needs more looking at for sea trade. You'd have to sell harbors inorder to stop the trades from happening, or possibly just cut off supply lines to your capital, not sure.

Is the AI making unreasonable demands? Are you unwilling to enter war but dont want to give tech and tons of gold as "tribute to their great society"? Dont. But do it in such a way that they arent pissed. Never EVER refuse rather make a counter proposal and give them something you dont care about as a gift. That gift of saltpeter in modern times does more than you would think it does.

This is my first post on this forum, so bear with me if this tip has been posted already elsewhere. I think the Great Library (you gain any technology known by 2 or more civilizations) is one of the best wonders I have come across so far, and so what I usually do is build directly to it on the technology tree, and then get all the stuff I bypassed for free.

A interesting fact: If a city is size 2, you can kill people down to size 1 and still build the worker. Same for city is size 3, kill a pop point, and build the settler. I just found this one, and it looks like another way to speed up the early production. I use to be afraid to crack the whip to early. A few turns earlier in the BCs ...

Also, mine your grasslands! :crazyeyes It sounds crazy, but you stay in Depotism much longer in these games. In Civ3 production, not food, is the major problem.

Yeah, if you haven't figured it out yet or seen it, using that whip will give you a decisive edge.

What I am really here for though is to ask for a simple tip. How do I "mobilize" for war? I am producing as many military units as the computer is with more cities and presumably higher production not to mention the fact that they take longer to produce things than I do (shield wise) on warlord so if you could tell me how to do that, i'd be happy:)

Thanks in advance,
Blondie

You need Nationalism, I think. After that, there's an option in the Domestic Advisor menu.

Unfortunately, by the time I get Nationalism, mobilizing would be far more hurtful than helpful.

War mobilization does not occur until later in the game. When you have the required tech, the domesitic advisor gives you the option for mobilization.

Originally posted by lkendter
A interesting fact: If a city is size 2, you can kill people down to size 1 and still build the worker. Same for city is size 3, kill a pop point, and build the settler. I just found this one, and it looks like another way to speed up the early production. I use to be afraid to crack the whip to early. A few turns earlier in the BCs ...

Dumb question probably: how to kill a pop point?

Rushing an improvement under Despotism (or Communism) will cause population drops. Also, starving the populace (creating specalists works) will do the same.

My tip: don't get rid of those captured workers... they require NO upkeep at all... this comes in handy when you have to start paying for your own military.

>>A interesting fact: If a city is size 2, you can kill people down to size 1 and still build the worker. Same for city is size 3, kill a pop point, and build the settler.<<

I tried that and it didn't work. I had a size three city and it would take 7 turns to complete a settler, I hurried it and lost a population point and the settler should have been finished the next turn.

Well, next turn, it still wasn't complete, it still said 1 turn and I had to wait the 5 or so turns for the population to grow again until I could finish the settler.

Unless I misunderstood your tip.

Zannhart

Avoid using spearmen to attack mechanized infantry in fortresses.

Never use a lot of workers as your only city garrison.

Avoid building the Hoover Dam on a one city island.

Do not offer to trade cities with your Wonders, even for wine.

Hope these help ;-)

Letting the governors manage citizen moods in all cities will keep them from going into civil disorder because of overcrowding.

Originally posted by deanstow
I read somewhere (the official site, I think) that resources run out randomly. The gist was that you should not bother to conserve building with them. I cannot confirm this myself.

I wonder if they can 'randomly' disappear if you have not used them at all?

Comments?

Yeah..they can..I lost coal that way. Right before I could do anythng with it it was gone. Major bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom