Administrator
Administrator
Title: CIVILIZATION III FAQ/STRATEGY GUIDE
Author: Dennis L. "Fox" Doucette
Version: 3.0
Format: DOC (Microsoft Word)
Site: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/31518.html

<font color=brown>A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR
First and foremost: I don't want anyone to think there's only one way to play this game. This Strategy Guide should give you enough information to master the basics, and may even serve as a walkthrough for certain victory types and play styles.
Secondly: I'm going to assume that all of you have read the manual. I'm also going to assume that all of you have played the game enough to understand what I'm talking about throughout this FAQ. If you just got the game and you're already looking for cheats and tricks, shame on you. Games are always more fun and more rewarding when you figure them out yourself.
Third: I'm compiling this FAQ based on my personal experience with the game. Your own civilization's enemies may react to you differently, being more or less aggressive from game to game. The AI's pretty sharp in Civ3, so proceed with caution and try to come up with the right strategy for the situation. Use this FAQ as a guide.

Finally: Don't be afraid to try everything that this game has to offer. If you master all sorts of styles, you'll be ready to take on the world when the multiplayer version of this game comes out (according to Firaxis and Infogrames, it will probably be next spring). The well-rounded player is the type who can win tournaments.</font>

---
Version 1 removed after 5908 downloads. The latest version is v3.0.

Attachments

• civilization_iii_faq_v3.zip
    69.7 KB · Views: 5,956
This is the funniest FAQ I have read for any of the Civ/SMAC/CTP games! Helpful and very entertaining besides. Even if you can beat this game on Deity, you should read this FAQ just for the laughs.

examples:

"APOCALYPSE NOW: USING THOSE BIG, SCARY WEAPONS IN MODERN TIMES
Frankly, there's not much strategy to nuclear attack. Pick the target, fire the missile, and then watch your own civilization drop dead from the global effects of pollution."

"ALUMINUM: Lightweight metal, suitable for alloying and making all kinds of really neat metal gizmos, including Radar Artillery, all sorts of missiles, any kind of advanced aircraft, and cans to put the Mountain Dew in. It can be found in the Plains, the Hills, and the Mountains. See? "Mountain Dew"! "

"If militaristic running with scissors sounds like your idea of a good time, put on your radiation suit and get your Uranium out of Forests and Mountains."

"INCENSE: Your youths need something to cover up the smell in the basement! Give them incense and the pleasing scent of burning essential oils will keep people happy. Incense can be found in Deserts and Hills."

I could go on....

Read this even if you know what you are doing in this game; at the least you will recognize a good FAQ/Strat Guide the next time you see one. Even my girlfriend, who never played Civ2 got a kick out of this.

That's a great Civ 2/Alpha Centauri faq, but Civ3 is a different game, and those strategies won't work above Regent difficulty.

The most important change in Civ3, corruption, is not even mentioned. Your 'cookie cutter' high production/commerce cities are no longer viable.

Basics of corruption:
-Above a certain number of cities (8/12/16/24/32, varies with map size) expansion cities will NEVER get more than one commerce and one shield, regardless of improvements, government, happiness, etc.
-Beyond a certain distance from the palace or forbidden palace, the 99% corruption also applies.
-At a medium distance from the capital, corruption is crippling to cities' production/commerce.

In Civ3, you can build 2 small clusters of booming metropolises, but beyond that, you must find alternate ways to develop your culture in the fringes cities, where it is most useful.

Despotism/Communism:
Fringe cities can be built by converting food to shields. One population point is worth 40 shields. Since forced labor creates unhappiness, military police is usually needed. Under communism, it is important to NOT improve the commerce of these cities (minimal roads/RRs) as the corruption will be shared with your main cities. Every road in a square worked by these cities will cost you 1gp per turn! Keep an eye on those automated workers.
Monarchy/Republic/Democracy:
Cash. Heaping wads of cash. More cash than your main cities can earn themselves. You need your opponents' cash, and you need to trade for it.

The faq also had a very xenophobic bias towards trading with your opponents. The high corruption creates limits on how many big commerce cities you can have, so Civ2 strategies don't apply. You can't just throw up another 'cookie cutter' high commerce city to increase your research speed. You need the other civilizations' help to research significantly faster, so use it.

The golden rule of trading: if you trade information to an opponent (maps, techs, contacts), immediately sell it to all other civilizations they are friendly towards for whatever you can get, because if you don't, they will. Any information known by two or more civs is available to the highest bidder, and after the sale, there is a new highest bidder...i.e. it's public knowledge, so sell it while you can.

Try to maintain a minimum treasury of 250 gold per age. (250/500/750/1000). This allows you to capitalize on on opportune deals. If you buy literature for 250gp and sell it to 3 civs for 150gp, this means A) you made a profit, B) you have almost researched construction instead and can rush the colliseum in your capital/wonder city, refill it with workers from other cities, and have the biggest city around when the GL race begins.

Money matters in Civ3, and the FAQs science rate advice of "As high as you can put it without losing money." is simply wrong and will keep you playing at Chieftain difficulty. There's nothing wrong with that, but I assume people read strategy guides to advance their Civ3 skills.

Case example: in my current game (France, continents, huge map, 16 civs, Diety), I am actually the only civ that knows both Chivalry and Gunpowder in 30AD, and I have had 0% science rate the whole game so far. I have 6330 gold, +342 income, +275 of which is from other civs.

I'm not trying to criticize, since I haven't spent the time to actually write a strategy guide, but you can't call it version 1.0 and out of beta without a section on corruption. Just look at the majority of post in the strategy forums--most are in the corruption threads.

This is what I came on this forum for. Specific advice, not waffle. I'm a Civ veteran and I find myself using CivII strategies in CivIII and yes they ain't working. I'm winning, but those cities far from the center are just dead weight. My empire is huge and from now on any wars are going to scorched earth: conquered cities will be torched. I'm going to try your suggestions about trading tech and reselling it. How do you know about the auto AI reselling?

A strategy guide which claims that Canada and Australia are among the greatest existing civs on earth isn't worth much.
And it's also not the philosophy behind Civ3 to control a huge landmass.

Nice FAQ Fox Doucette, but i had a few minor quibbles:

In section 3B you say "After getting your defenders and workers you should build (in order) a Temple, a Library, a University, a Cathedral, and a Colosseum." It might be clearer to beginners if you update it to say (as i assume you do this) to alternate these buildings with producing settlers early on. Especially if they have reached size 6 and you havn't developed construction yet to build aquaducts (unless you are on a river of course).

In 3C "The resistors calm down sooner or later, and if you want them to calm down sooner, let your soldiers rest, rearm, and recuperate in the newly captured city pacifying it as they go" is nit necessarily a good idea. The number of resistors pacified in a turn is equal to the number of troops stationed, but the chance of the city reverting back to its original culture seems to be related to the number of resistors left (or maybe it is just about the relative strengths of the two cultures, and is constant as long as there are resistors left). Whatever, the point is that statining a lot of troops in the captured city doesn't stop it going back to the original civilisation, and causing you to lose your troops. Therefore it is better to spread the risk and leave the bulk of you forces in more stable cities near the border. As a rule of thumb, I tend to put only two defensive units permanently in the new city until it is calm.

For 4A it might be helpful to mention not to bother irrigating until you have Republic/Monarchy.

4B: Interesting idea about reforesting, but i tend to get a better balance mining grassland for two food and one shield (improved to 3 food and two shield with railroad) for a greater food income. Also, since this is what the automated formers, oh OK, workers, do, it saves you time. It seems counterintuitive to mine grassland, but with the removal of "farmland" from Civ2, and a slight change in the effect of irrigation, it is not a waste of a terrain square to do so.

Your advice to trade your luxury resources is fine, but it might pay to check what benefits you will give the enemy civ. For example if they already have two luxury resources, then giving them a third will give them two happy faces in cities with a marketplace, and if you only have one luxury, the added luxury will only give you one more smiley! This gives the enemy the advantage.

7A: You advise that beginners start on Pangea, but I would qualify that they should only do this on a huge map, or they will find themselves running out of room very quickly what with the enemy expanding so quickly now. It is easy to play with continents on Large and hopefully you will get an island to yourself for a little peace. if you play on Continents, (which I find makes the game a little more interesting) you reduce the wars and find it easier to defend yourself. It can eliminate (nearly) the the threat of losing workers, and bombardmen of terrain improvements by bombers.

7B: In a related point, you recommend 60% for water coverage to get more land, and therefore less war. But if you play on Continents, increasing the water to 70% gives you a greater chance of being on a big island to yourself.

7C: You suggest older world. I prefer middle-aged, because you get particular regions where you find mountains and desert etc. so it makes the tactical side of trying to expand ino various areas where you want to own a resource easier to plan. Othrewise its just random what you get on the land you own.

8A: I completely disagree with the idea that Militarism is a good way to go. It is rubbish. If you build Sun Tzu's War Academy (now one of the best wonders) then the advantage of having cheaper barracks is negated. Walls are useless and i never build them, since a city below size 6 probably isn't really worth worrtying about losing temporarily to the enemy. Coastal fortresses are rubbish as well. Getting more elite soldiers, and therefore leaders, and therefore more wonders, is quite cool, but is not enough.

9B: Disband workers during war? A bit of a waste, surely. Just fortify them in a city for a bit. Automated wrokers will often do this on there own accord if threatened.

11C: I think this is where you really do have it very wrong. Other really important Wonders that you don't mention are Sun Tzu's War Academy, Micjhalangelo's Chapel (best wonder in the game = double's effect of cathedrals, a LOT of happiness generated, and it works everywhere not just on your continent). And where on Earth is the Hoover Dam, which magically, for no pollution cost, transforms all cities with factories into +50% more production.

And you are wrong about Leonardos' workshop, upgrading units is brilliant and cost-effective and very very affordable with this Wonder. The usefulness of instantly turning all your riflemen into infrantry for a few hundred loose change as soon as you have the tech is immense, and you suggest painstakingly building a new army every time? Come on!

Getting Shakespeare's Theatre is hardly a priority either, nor is Newton's Uni, Copernicus's Obs. Those culture points are just a consolation prize for the ineffectiveness of the wonders. Build them if you are going for the cultural victory of couse.

13B: You suggest not building the Apollo wonder until you have all the prerquisite techs to build your spacecraft. Er, why? Its a Small Wonder. No like in CivII where it helps you enemy. Why not build it as soon as possible, and the intervening tech development period, build you spaceship parts as they become availabler, not all at once. Plus it generates culture.

Phew! That's it as far as suggestions for your FAQ go. I hope i didn't sound too critical - i actually found it to be an informative and enteraining guide.

PS. Great post Paeanblack, definitely the kind of incisive and specific advice that helps people improve their game. But i took issue with a couple of things you said:

First off, what version are you playing 1.07f or 1.16f? in 1.16f you really do get a flat rate of waste and corruption during Communism this time, and so if you want a globe-straddling Empire, then switch to Communism after you get Modern Armour and can afford to reduce science rate, and start conquering. Outlying cities now can have much more shield production, so even a peaceful empire thats unnaturally huge will see border improvements to production.

Second, i agreed with Fox's advice on keeping the old Civ2 strategy of science rate as high as possible. I hadn't thought of your method of only getting tech by swapping cash for it, and it clearly makes sense on really high difficulties like Diety. But i've only ever played on Regent, and i suspect most people play on this difficulty. And Fox's strategy does work on this level, after you've pulled out of the slow bronze age, if you play a scientific civ, and don't swap techs for techs but keep them to yourself, you can get ahead of everyone massively, while you can only ever keep up using your method.

Just me... but has anyone read V3.0... it blows 1 and 2 out of the water... :tank:

Originally posted by Tuberon
Just me... but has anyone read V3.0... it blows 1 and 2 out of the water... :tank:

I've replaced the zip file with the latest verison. Thanks.

My strategy guide was aimed more at the casual player than at the "Civ fanatic", as becomes evident throughout (and especially where some of you have posted to quibble with my views). I wrote the FAQ with the view that if someone is good enough to play on Deity level, they probably don't have much use for a strat guide...my email seems to bear this out since 90% of it is from people who couldn't win on Chieftain before reading my guide.

Updates will probably be few and far between since I've moved on to other projects as a writer.

Well, OK, but some of your strategies were misleading, and would make it harder for the casual player to really work out the best way of playing Civ III.

I only posted the quibbles because i thought it was a nicely written, well-structured guide, that could have evolved into something really useful.

Originally posted by Mapache
A strategy guide which claims that Canada and Australia are among the greatest existing civs on earth isn't worth much.

Considering that both countries are ranked in the top 3 on the United Nation's list of best countries in which to live, I would say that we do indeed deserve to be ranked among the world's great societies. (Norway rounds out the list)

Anyway, what are you doing writing things here? Don't you have a figure skating competition to go judge?

Top Bottom