CPT - Civilization Placement Tool

Gramphos

Emperor
CivPlacementTool (CPT) is made to move civs (starting positions) in a Civilization III save game.
It uses the same format (CPF) as Civ3MultiTool (C3MT), but does NOT require any part of C3MT to run.
CPT is programmed in C++, and should be easier to get running then C3MT. It is also smaller, and it is harder to corrupt a SAV.

CPT does not currently have full support for all functions in the CPF format, but the must common functions are in.

CPT also has mush less error handling then C3MT, and can't load corrupt SAVs.

Version history
--------------------------------------
v1.00
- Can move civs according to a CPF-file, and get the FOW right.
v1.01
- Takes command line parameters
v1.02
- Bug fixed whit lower number of civs then number of entries in the CPF file
v1.03
- Default extensions added to the dialogs
v1.04
- Fixed to work with v1.17f
v1.05
- Upgraded to work with compressed SAVs (1.21f)

List of unsupported functions
* CPT does not read any Rules, and uses only the ID for not in-game-renamed civs.
* Only the default FOW format for the CPF-files is supported (but the alternate (original) format is not official, so that shouldn't hurt anyone but me)

Redistribution
This tool is not as subjected to change as C3MT, and I'll allow any map creator to include it with his map.
As long as the readme is maintained, and the site (this thread) where they can check for updated versions of this tool is listed in your own readme.
You should also always check if a new version has been released before upgrading your version.

Once more for all that had/have problem with the MultiTool:
This tool is not made in VB, and does not require vb-riuntimes.

v1.00 replaced with v1.01 after 170 downloads.
v1.01 replaced with v1.02 after 929 downloads.
v1.02 replaced with v1.04 after 499 downloads.
v1.04 replaced with v1.05 after 2166 downloads.

Attachments

• cpt1-05.zip
    33.2 KB · Views: 6,138
Originally posted by GenghisVick
Can you give instructions on how to use it?
It is as earlier.
1. Start a game as you want it (on a map that you have a CPF for).
2. Save the game.
3. Run the exe (no need to exit Civ3)
4. The Exe will ask for a SAV, find the SAV you saved
5. The exe will ask for a CPF file. Locate the CPF-for the map
6. The exe will ask for a file to save it to. (Type in a new name (don't use the file it reads from, as it reads and writes at the same time))
6. A message "Done!" will show up when the SAV is fixed
7. Load the fixed SAV in the game.

The first post is updated.

If you aren't going to make a command script to change the positions, you won't need this update (unless you want to get rid of the Done! message)

The syntax is in the readme.

Also, if anyone with XP could confirm that this tool works :keeps fingers crossed:

I'm a little confused about the CPF files. Do we have to create them for each map? Is that done in a text editor? And If you play with, say, 5 civs, do you have to include the 11 civs you don't use in the CPF file?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Capt40
I'm a little confused about the CPF files. Do we have to create them for each map? Is that done in a text editor? And If you play with, say, 5 civs, do you have to include the 11 civs you don't use in the CPF file?

Thanks.
They have to be made for each map, unless the coordinates and sight are the same of the starting positions.

Only civs in the FOW will be moved, but there might be some errors if civs are moved on top of each other (ie one civ is moved, and the other stays.) but if you only play with some civs you should do fine with them.

The file is done in any text editor.

Ok, I see. Thanks.

I am still confused how to find or create these cpf files. I love using this application. I used it successfully with Marla's map, but I would like to be able to play on a smaller map. Where can I find a smaller cpf file to accomplish this goal? Maybe I just do not understand how the program works. Please Help!! Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by epsilon97
I am still confused how to find or create these cpf files. I love using this application. I used it successfully with Marla's map, but I would like to be able to play on a smaller map. Where can I find a smaller cpf file to accomplish this goal? Maybe I just do not understand how the program works. Please Help!! Thanks a lot.
You can create them yourself. The format is described in the readme file.
If you can't figure out the sight: Set it to
xxx
xox
xxx
and adjust it when you start each time. You should get it quite quickly.

If you don't post again.

Hi Gramphos,

A great utility and easy to use but to help those who cannot fathom the FOW and co-ordinates how about generating a CPF file after all it is only a reverse of writing the parameters.
I would have done it but I don't have the time to work out the save game structure.

Bug fixed with less civs in the game then in the file.

I can also make a notice that C3CT can generate the FOW data for a map.

Originally posted by Gramphos

It is as earlier.
1. Start a game as you want it (on a map that you have a CPF for).
2. Save the game.
3. Run the exe (no need to exit Civ3)
4. The Exe will ask for a SAV, find the SAV you saved
5. The exe will ask for a CPF file. Locate the CPF-for the map
6. The exe will ask for a file to save it to. (Type in a new name (don't use the file it reads from, as it reads and writes at the same time))
6. A message "Done!" will show up when the SAV is fixed
7. Load the fixed SAV in the game.

Sorry; I'm not up on all the terms & congi's. What is a CPF :confused: and how do I fine the right one???? :rolleyes:

Sure this should be odvious; but I have a life beyound Civ & Civ-fourms. <(Prospecting is still ahead of Civ - a little- and I still don't follow all the initials on the prospecting fourms)> There are several initials that I have questions about; but, to best use the program, I'ld think I should know this one.

Thanks

P.S.__ if some one could put out a text file with all the terms, initials, et. al, and there meanings; it would help. Could some one post me if this ever happens?.
cedonaldson@starband.net

"Go for the (real) Gold ..."
http://tobi_wan_2.tripod.com/PeacocksDen.html
:D

A CPF is a file that tells the program how to move the civs, and how to deal with the sight.

Some maps have them, some don't.
If you want to use a map that hasn't you need C3MT. (teoretically you can do it without, but it is done mush faster with)
1. Start the CopyTool
2. Load the map
3. Locate the Generate CPF button
4. Press that button :p
5. Select where to save the file.
6. Everything easy is now done.
7. Locate the CPF and load it in notepad.
8. The CPF now has all player starting locations, with sight in it. All you have to do is to edit it to be right civ at right place. To do this Go down to the first ID=, check what coordinates that is on, and change it to the number of the civ you want to place there. Also change the Name to the right name.
1=Rome
2=Egypt
3=Greece
4=Babylon
5=Germany
6=Russia
7=China
8=America
9=Japan
10=France
11=India
12=Persia
13=Aztecs
14=Zululand
15=Iroquois
16=England

Save your work, and the CPF is ready.

Originally posted by Gramphos
"..............................................................
A CPF is a file that tells the program how to move the civs, and how to deal with the sight.

Some maps have them, some don't.
If you want to use a map that hasn't you need C3MT. (teoretically you can do it without, but it is done mush faster with)
1. Start the CopyTool
2. Load the map
3. Locate the Generate CPF button
4. Press that button :p
5. Select where to save the file.
6. Everything easy is now done.
7. Locate the CPF and load it in notepad.
8. The CPF now has all player starting locations, with sight in it. All you have to do is to edit it to be right civ at right place. To do this Go down to the first ID=, check what coordinates that is on, and change it to the number of the civ you want to place there. Also change the Name to the right name.
...................."

Save your work, and the CPF is ready.

Thank's "Gramphos"; this should be helpful to me. Now I need to find out what 'C3MT' is; I will re-read some postings where I have seen that. I'm rather sure I saw it on a posting that stated what 'C3MT' is. I downloaded several Civ3 Tools & user-made units last night. I have a feeling that a "C3MT" was amoung the stuf I downloaded ??? :confused: ???
Gramphos; I'm curious --- from where comes 'Gramphos' . I often use 'Golddigger'; 'Mudsucker'; and 'Peacock'. Golddigger & Mudsucker are directly related to my gold prospecting (i.e. 'digging' & 'dreduging' for the gold -- not mush gold but lots of fun). Peacock is relaetd to our small gold claim & to the peacocks I used to raise. If you want to; post me at:: cedonaldson@starband.net
Again; thank you.

Originally posted by golddigger
Thank's "Gramphos"; this should be helpful to me. Now I need to find out what 'C3MT' is; I will re-read some postings where I have seen that. I'm rather sure I saw it on a posting that stated what 'C3MT' is. I downloaded several Civ3 Tools & user-made units last night. I have a feeling that a "C3MT" was amoung the stuf I downloaded ??? :confused: ???
It' my other utilly you are lookning for. :rolleyes: Civ3MultiTool

Gramphos...another masterpiece, thanks.:goodjob:

You ought to hit Firaxis up for a job when you graduate from university. You could be potentially dangerous to them in the hands of another software company, so they should get you on their side of the fence while they still have a chance. ;)

i made a 180x180 map for 5 civilization, can anyone help me out with the placement? i have no idea how to use this program.
it will be great if someone can give me a dummy step by step tutorial

Top Bottom