Hacked 1.16f editor

Cokal

Chieftain
Umm, second try here.

Attached is the map editor that came with v1.16f patch, and I hacked it with emacs :D to enable all the "add" and "delete" buttons in the rules editor.

It is civ3edit.exe compressed into RAR format, then (!) zipped. Sorry for the inconvience but I just couldn't seem to zip the exe into anything smaller than 900 kB thus wouldn't be able to post it, while forum does not allow .rar upload.

By the way, there seems to be a minimap thingy in the editor, anyone knows how to enable it?

Attachments

• civ3edit.rar.zip
    449.7 KB · Views: 4,882
Hmm. The add buton was there, but when I added a new unit, it crashed when I tried to open a previous saved game. It would let me start a new game though. The unit I added was a modern battleship and had smart weapons as a requirement, so maybe that crash would happen also on new games if it was a starting tech level unit that I needed. not sure.

IIRC, I've never been able to play a saved game after adding a unit or a city improvement.

Originally posted by Maugan
Hmm. The add buton was there, but when I added a new unit, it crashed when I tried to open a previous saved game. It would let me start a new game though. The unit I added was a modern battleship and had smart weapons as a requirement, so maybe that crash would happen also on new games if it was a starting tech level unit that I needed. not sure.

The game can never load back an old savegame when you change the requirement of tech for a unit or when you add new unit, resources etc as Civ3 realise that the rules are now diff and therefore will not allow you to load an old game.

This has always been the case, nothing wrong with the editor then ;)

Ok, cool. Didn't know that saved games were wacked by that, makes snense though.

Thanks a ton for this mod to the editor, Cokal. Now I can finaly make my mod where each civ that has a unique unit that blocks a chain of upgrades can get a work-around to get upgraded. Example, for chinese, give them a unique horsemen that is the same as a normal one, but upgrades into rider instead of knight. That way they are not handicaped due to the limitations on upgrading. Stupid their horsemen can't upgrade to riders, but others can upgrade to knights I always thought.

Good to know that someone actually appreciated the hack:)

They - Firaxis - really should have shipped the editor with the buttons enabled. I wouldn't mind if they attached a note stating "not supported and use at your own risk" stuff.

Erm, I'm a total newbie at this so Im sure i'm missing something obvious. (didnt bother attempting a mod even till I saw this improvement) I added a 'mounted archer' unit for the chinese, but it crashes when I switch to it in production. Am I missing some other file I have to manualy insert or edit?

I am actually not the person to answer your question, cos I am a hacker, not a mod maker. Anyhow, according to what I read in this forum you at least need to manually insert a directory containing graphics and an ini file into your units dir. The "Add" button really just lets you put an entry in the civ3mod.bic file so that game knows what basic properties the new unit has. Please refer to other posts in the customization section to see how it should be done, there are quite some tutorials and successful experiences from mod making experts.

Good luck.

This IS the same map editor that came with your game (from patch 1.16 to be exact), just that in the original exe the programmer disabled two buttons on almost all rules editor pages. Hacked version make them available again, so (theoretically) you can add units, civilizations, etc. But besides pressing the "add" button you still have a lot more to do to make added parts work. I suggest you check out the CivCopyTool on this forum for a quick and easy solution.

Big problem. I tried to add some small wonders as workaround for the distance corruption factor.
I set 5 "State Governments" (1-5) with the same settings as the Forbidden Palace. But set for all a different research prerequest (pribting press, radio, democracy etc.)
At first it seemed that it works fine: I took a huge map of terra, started in Europe, built the FB in Spain, then I built the State Government-I in Afrika.
It worked excellent.
But: then I built the State Government-II in South America, and just when the building was ready and the message should come, the game crashes.

I tried it again with different settings, now without prerequests (for testing to find why it crashed not at the 1st SG but at the 2nd), so that all had same settings as the Forbidden Palace.
Then I built the SP-I in Africa, not yet having the FB. And it again crashed when it was ready.

CIVILIZATION3 verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungültige Seite in Modul CIVILIZATION3.EXE bei 017f:0054bf50.
Register:
EAX=00870d0c CS=017f EIP=0054bf50 EFLGS=00010216
EBX=00870a98 SS=0187 ESP=00abf01c EBP=00870d0c
ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=008725e8 FS=258f
EDX=0000006d ES=0187 EDI=00871098 GS=0000
Bytes bei CS:EIP:
8b 41 08 56 85 c0 74 09 b8 18 00 00 00 5e c2 18
Stapelwerte:
0052f4b7 00870d0c 0000015f 0000006d 00000000 00000000 00000000 00871098 00870a98 00000000 00871000 00000000 0055885e 00871098 00870a98 00871014

Any ideas? :confused:

After i download it, what do i do with it? I extracted it to my civ3 folder, but it is in .rar format. Windows is asking for what program to run it in (the 'open with' dialogue box). Did I miss something...?

(Well, crap, that didn't work. Let's try again, shall we?)

(I hope I'm not overstepping any bounds here.)

Here's Cokal's hacked editor in a package you don't need WinRAR to open. Open the .zip file, then double-click on "c3ed_sfx.exe" -- that'll automagically create "civ3edit.exe" which is the hacked editor, and can replace the file of the same name in your Civ3 folder (AFTER you've backed up the original, of course :)).

Attachments

• c3ed_sfx.zip
    468.8 KB · Views: 1,033
Nah, I'm pretty sure a god would have figured out how to attach the file the first time :rolleyes:

I'm just a guy who happens not to be hung over on New Year's Morning and has RAR at his disposal. Personally, I think it's a lot more impressive that he hacked it in the first place than that I zipped it :p

mmm... how do you get rid of the hacked editor? a bunch of things got really f***ed up and i need to start everything over...

:confused: Get rid of it? Do you mean the editor, or the changes you made? To get rid of the editor, replace the "civ3edit.exe" in your Civ3 folder with the one you backed up (you did back it up first, right? :)). To undo the changes you made, replace "civ3mod.bic" with the backed-up copy.

Be warned that if you made changes and then saved a game, you won't be able to fix the saved game.

A few have come to the realization that some of the strategic resources become obsolete when progressing to a certain era or obtaining a particular science.

The main goal here would to eliminate continuity and logic flaws like not having access to railroad when you have both electricity and combustion and the iron SR. Or not being able to build your ship even though you have synthetics and could manufacture the rubber needed for the skin of the ship.

In science and resource sections of each tab, I think an either/or for each resource and tech would be great.

In the Civilization Advances section, if there could be a way to define flags, this would pretty much eliminate any other needs, because you could, say; select electricity and have it "allows railroads without coal." Or select Synthetics and define a flag that allows the ship skin without rubber etc, but this would take added programming.

There are countess ways to implement this; we just have to find one that can work with CIV III & the editor the way it stands, for they won't be making a new EXE just to make it a bit more customizable for us rabble. I know this would be behond EMACS, and its is just magic to me that you got this far without even having CIV III.

Some may think that this defeats the purpose of the resources, but I believe that having the realistic alternatives through science, puts more emphasis science progress and coping realistically with the lack of resources during some games.

Z.

Top Bottom