civ3 save game map revealer by Zhura

Zhura

Chieftain
Till now I didn't find a program that reveals map.
So I decided to create one - and here it is!
Simply make save map.sav place reveal.exe in the same directory and run it.
It make for you revmap.sav - with entirely open map!

Please send your questions to szhura2@hotmail.com

[Old version removed after 199 downloads]

Oh, 14 downloads and no one replies!?
But on the other hand - no one blame me, so I guess is works fine :)

Here's version 0.3
All the same but it makes all terrain VISIBLE (without any shadows) - so now you can see enemy units (and villages)!
And I still awaiting for comments...

Attachments

• reveal03.zip
    9.3 KB · Views: 5,123
Well, there are more people who want to download as compare to those who willing to give feedback on the forum ;)

My Modern Frigate has over 500 downloads and less than 20 comments :lol:

playing with revealed map is cheating. so people may like your tool, but noone wants to be blamed as a cheater. i think this explains the lack of comments .-)

Originally posted by hanZ
playing with revealed map is cheating. so people may like your tool, but noone wants to be blamed as a cheater. i think this explains the lack of comments .-)
I guess that can explain the lack of comments on the SaveGame editor in C3CT. I get comments on the Copytool, but not the savegame editor. :enlighten

Thanks man, it's a cool util... saves me from sending ships all over the world to see whats up

This could prove to be very useful with creating maps. One notable flaw (unless ive just overlooked it) is the lack of

1) Minimap and
2) Zoom ability

in the civ3edit tool. Creating the overall look of maps then becomes very difficult. However, imo this util could solve that problem...

A

Thanks for every reply to all of you!
This is my first program sharing via Inet - so I guess I just want to feel useful :))

To other save game editor creators: I may reveal details of algorythm - send me a letter...

I just wanted to say that you made a nice program. I think it's a little strange that the save needs to be named map.sav however. Is there a reason that you did not just have the user input the name of the file and then do the same rev[mapname].sav thing?

Laura

I used default name (map.sav) to avoid any errors with long names - because my program is a DOS program. And it seemed to me that typing a file name is the same waste of time that of saving another save game :))
But I make another new version if other players tell me that it need to be done...

I love it! I like being able to check out my map at the beginning of a game to see if I want to keep playing.

The only problem I had was getting started -- I downloaded the file without fully reading the instructions in your post. I would have liked a readme with the zipped up exe.

Language - C, compiler by Borland for DOS.
About speed: I used reading file by byte - so I guess if rewrite it and make it read blocks of bytes program may be 5-10 times faster ;-))
About readme: when you run it program tells you how it works. I thought that will be enough...

I thought there was writing on the DOS box when I run the program, but it always disappears so fast that I couldn't actually read what it said. So, for me a readme would have been nice.

I am sorry, but it's still not enough for a new post. Guess you always can run a DOS Prompt (I use FAR Manager) to see what it writes. Again - I'm sorry but I'm too lasy to make a normal windows interface for this program. And again - to developers of savegame editors - I can reveal algorythm...

As someone whos written many cheats and hacks for games great work on this. Its only bug if you havent reaveled the whole map first you will find you can directly scroll too far. 15 or 20 squares from your city and it stops. Minimap still works though.

I was in the process of hacking out how to permanatly steal plans when I found your hack. My only real complaint is god, once you run it on a huge map later in the game the turns reall do take forever, Have to hold the shift key or you'll die of old age beforey you get your turn. Thats due to the animation of enemy units and no fault of yours (well that a stupid ai moving them around when there no reason to).

Great job...

Side note, Dont let anyone give you junk about using Borland C. I use Turbo C 4.01 (copyright 1988) for alot of my quick hacks. Comes on 4 5 1/4 single sided floppys.

The originial civedit for Civ1 was written by a friend of mine wolvy using qbasic. The right tool for the right job. If it works for you, use it.

it seemed to me that scrolling start working fine after you touch minimap or one of your units or something...
and I *deliberately* used default name revmap.sav to avoid such situations as you described. on a later stages of playing my program may be used to observe STATIC situation, after you get back to map.sav ...

Top Bottom