How Will We Run Our Empire?

How will we direct our cities when we have too many for individual screenshots?

• Send the saved game to the governors so they can watch over their cities and post screenshots and po

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Send the saved game to the governors so they can watch over their cities and post screenshots and po

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No, keep it how it is, with the President as the only one with the saved game and posting all the sc

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Apollo

Emperor
How will we direct our cities? Since these changes affect some cabinet positions, they shouldn't take place until after the next election. I miswrote it in the poll above and the Exploration Minister should be called the Expansion Minister. To see the discussion on this, go here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15000

With the governors running the cities in their provinces, there isn't much use for a City Planner. The only jobs for this position would be to direct our new cities that are not part of a province and for any global city issues that may come up. I think that since the Expansion Minister needs the saved game anyway to post screenshots on city locations, they might as well take care of our new cities as well which are basically colonies, and would fit well under the jobs of an Expansion Minister. Also, if any global city issues ever do arise one of the governors can post on it.

Since I'm still pretty new to Fanatica, I'd like to wait to vote until there's been some debate.

I did check to see what the duties are for the City Planner and the Expansion Minister and it would seem that these duties could easily be folded into one.

I would also think that things can get pretty bogged down if we ever get to a point where we have like 50 cities. Posting that many screen shots of city production could be rough, but maybe just as rough could be sending out 50 save game files.

Perhaps when or if we get that large, we can group cities by provinces or by island. Governors could therefore rule over specific groups of cities (e.g. the governor of our home island takes care of those cities there, etc.)

I guess I'd lean toward sending out the saves to the governors so one or two people don't get stuck posting huge amounts of screens. However, I'll wait to hear advice from those who have played longer and were here when things were initially formed.

I would also think that things can get pretty bogged down if we ever get to a point where we have like 50 cities. Posting that many screen shots of city production could be rough, but maybe just as rough could be sending out 50 save game files.

Perhaps when or if we get that large, we can group cities by provinces or by island. Governors could therefore rule over specific groups of cities (e.g. the governor of our home island takes care of those cities there, etc.)

That's exactly how it works, with Dell and me as the governors of our provinces (Luna and Phobos, respectively).

In Apollo's proposal, the president would have to send the save game to the governors and the exploration (or expansion) minister. That would be N + 1 people receiving the game, for N = the number of provinces.

Originally posted by Kev
Since I'm still pretty new to Fanatica, I'd like to wait to vote until there's been some debate.

I put a link in my post above to a thread where there's been some debate already. It was from that thread that I took the two main options.

Posting that many screen shots of city production could be rough, but maybe just as rough could be sending out 50 save game files.

I think most email systems allow you to send out one email to multiple addresses in a predefined group. You create the group, add the addresses to it, and from then on it takes just one email to send the game to all the people in that group.

well, CMaster has already agreed that as our cities grow, govoners will gain more power. they will have to make more general polls, etc. {Officially, I am the govoner of Demos... the province without any land... yet:)} gov's will need to post general things like to build up the military or the civil forced, etc... I will post a new thread of suggestions for "government reform" and in it, will be included how to deal with these situations. also, will be included some suggesitons on how to deal with this problem, and others yet unfaced.

my take:
I think that ALL cabinet members should be given the game. I also think that cheating, under these circumstances, should be punished with a ban for a while, 2 weeks to a month, for example. In canada, we have had a few cabinet members make a breech of trust. Andy Scott, Alfonso Gaglianno, for example. they resigiend, and thier political carrers were destroyed. for the record, Andy Scott was the solisitor general, and was replaced by Lawerence MacAully. someone totally inept, and not able to do the job... he's also the 2nd smartest man on PEI, BTW :) he is from PEI, and he is our cabinet minister. he has a real hate towards our primer Pat Binns, who is a member of the Consievative party, while MacAully is a member of the Liberal Party.... anyways, enough about that.

After looking at Apollo's edited post and reading the original debates, it seems that working with the governors and an expansion minister could be best.

The governors would then concern themselves with posting shots and polls about cities in their regions while expansion could direct polls and debates regarding new city placements as well as exploration directions.

If the governor system will be done by provinces, then even if we have 50 cities, it may only involve 10 governors assuming an average of 5 cities per governor.

This newer system, I think, should allow the president a less burdensome tenure and a better time playing out the turns.

This, then, is my vote. I guess this corresponds to the first choice on the poll.

Thanks for the help all!

It's quite all right for anyone to play ahead if they have the saved game, as after all they only get one vote in all we do. Even if they know what's going to happen if we do something, they won't be able to change it. The only reason for banning would be if someone plays ahead and then starts a spoiler thread or gives away what they know in their argument for a poll option. Besides, apart from inital city placement, most things will be different if you play two different versions from a save game. We shouldn't look to ban the whole world, and if anyone steps out of line then it's up to the mods who are actually playing the Democracy game to nominate people for bans.

Actually, is TF registered as being able to post in this forum? I realise that he's quite busy enough without having to participate fully but I hope that he can make a contribution if necessary. :)

my fear is someone getting the game then 'cheating' to see the map. he will therefore know where everything is. or if someone "Ducky I's" the game, by cheating ahead to see when things will be built... then again, I do my own little "cheats" when it comes to wonders {such as lodaing a saved game from a few turns back} and negotiating for maps {same}

Just bumping it up to try to squeeze out a few more votes. If you think its been up long enough, then maybe a mod can close the poll tonight.

Originally posted by Pellaken
my fear is someone getting the game then 'cheating' to see the map. he will therefore know where everything is. or if someone "Ducky I's" the game, by cheating ahead to see when things will be built... then again, I do my own little "cheats" when it comes to wonders {such as lodaing a saved game from a few turns back} and negotiating for maps {same}

Fortunatly I think this will be unlikely to happen since the government positions are all filled with respectable members of CFC so they are unlikely to do something that would cause the game to be ruined.

Top Bottom