Utility: MapStat

chiefpaco

Emperor
This Windows or Macintosh compatible utility for Civ III offers the following:

Track your domination victory* progress:
MapStat can compile the map and population information of a CivIII save game. With this information, it displays precisely how many more tiles and city population each Civ needs to trigger a domination victory. Numbers may also be displayed in percentages.

Export your city statistics:
After opening a .sav file, you can export your city statistics (same information as the domestic advisor "F1" screen) to a tab-separated file that spreadsheet programs can read. The totals are also summed and written.

Gather map terrain Statistics:
The total terrain count details are also viewable for .sav files by selecting "View Terrain Counts" in the "File" menu. BIC map files are also compatible with MapStat. No Civ owns territory in a BIC map file but you can view the terrain statistics.

*Domination victory is triggered by owning greater than 2/3 of the total world's land+coast and total world's population at the beginning of your next turn (see FAQ for more information).

There are two versions of MapStat: Windows and Java. The windows version is the latest version and is heavily recommended for all Windows users. Mac users must use the Java version. Please note that a Java Run-time Environment must be installed on any computer to support the Java version. More details can be found in this thread.

A PTW-compatible version of Mapstat is available now here:
Mapstat PTW Alpha 2

To download the non-PTW windows version, see below several posts. Or, try this link:
Mapstat Windows Executable

The latest Java version 2.1, JMapstat is posted far down this thread or may be found by clicking here: (note, this version created by AlanH was made to provide compatibility with GOTM modded files)
JMapStat Java 2.1 Executable

Here is a link straight to the Java v2.0 source code, found several posts below:
MapStat Java Source

IDSmoker has made a compatible spreadsheet to extend the city statistics - providing more information. Details here:
MapStat Excel Spreadsheet

Alternate versions of the program and/or source code may be found throughout the thread.

Cool utility. A little more advance then my Map stats for BICs (and SAVs in the next version) that counts Land and Water.

Thanks, Gramphos. I forgot to give you credit. You, and the others from the BIC file format thread over at Apolyton. That's why I started with the BIC. I hope the SAV format is just as straightforward :)

Here is a screenshot of version 3.0 for Windows:

This is great Chiefpaco! Works well as far as I can tell!

I hope we can get permission to use it in future GOTMs. I just went through the process and it doesn't seem to me that anything is revealed which should not be known.

I made a new version, 1.1, with only really minor changes. Since I'm not sure how long the big changes could take, I decided to let this through.

New in version 1.1:
- Program Renamed to MapStat (much better, I think)
- Added "About" dialog box
- GUI colouring & cleanup
- Remembers last directory used
- Added this readme to the package

Original version 1.0 removed after 10 downloads.

Version 1.1 removed after 14 more downloads.

Originally posted by blue72
I can't get your program to work! :cry:
Please describe again how to make it to work

Hi. Double-clicking the JAR file should work but...

A few questions: Are you trying 1.1? What error does it give? What OS are you using? I developed using Windows ME & using Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.4 so I'm not 100% sure it would necessarily work on NT, 95, or XP (though I have seen 1.0 come up on a 98 machine).

General information: you need a " Java Application 'runner' " to run MapStat (or any Java application). Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine (JVM) comes with most windows versions but not XP (a controversial move on their part, but I digress...). If MapStat does not start, you might not have a good JVM or JRE. One possible solution is to download the latest JRE from: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html and then pick the JRE for your platform (this program could even work on UNIX or LINUX). This should let you run any java app . It's about 8-9 megs, but free.

Alternatively, Microsoft does have a new version of the Java Virtual Machine, which also supports Windows XP, and is also free to download. It shouldn't be too tough to find, knowing Microsoft. ;) :rolleyes:

I'd like to make a version that doesn't require the JRE (maybe some sort of .exe or C wrapper), but I haven't found out how to do it yet. I'm sorry for your frustration.

Edit: Clarified some of the running requirements.

Thank you.
It worked after downloading the latest Java support.
It's useful program for modders. Nice job!

The new version of MapStat is ready and available now. New in this version:

- SAV file support
- GUI Boxing Improvements
- Some code streamlining
- Open starts in current directory

It can now analyze SAV or BIC files.

You may now download it here:

Edit: v1.2 removed after 16 downloads.

Hi. I've just finished version 1.3. Here are the new features:

1.3 - Current Version, Mar 22, 2002
- Added Civ-specific counts and select menu for save files
- Patched a bug in the search algorithm, fixing an extremely rare case of an incorrect count by 1 or 2

Basically, it now can read your save files & break down the tile counts into how much each civ has. It still includes a total count as well as an "unclaimed territory" count.

As it stands, I can't see much that I would like to add to this utility, so this may be the final version, unless some problems arise or I get over ambitious about the look & feel or something. Anyway, it was fun :yeah:

Edit: v1.3 removed after 331 downloads.

Awesome Chiefpaco! I just ran it against the map I'm playing. Works great and shows just what I want to know, thank you!!!

That's a nice little program, chiefpaco. :goodjob:

Just posted a news about it (and SirPleb's calc too).. :)

:blush: :blush: Thanks Thunderfall. :blush: :blush: (Not the first time, either. Thanks for the territory score props too! :beer: )

Hey it doesn`t work with me. When I click on the file the computer wants the file "Dragon.exe" to open it!?!?!?!?!?
:cry:

Is there another choice to open this file or not? I hope someone has an idea!!

good work!

Originally posted by Baron Rakkan
Hey it doesn`t work with me. When I click on the file the computer wants the file "Dragon.exe" to open it!?!?!?!?!?

Is there another choice to open this file or not? I hope someone has an idea!!

Thunderfall just beat me to the solution (& is even better than mine, so I'm cutting this short!) BTW, if anyone has problems opening it, can you let me know what OS you're using? If you're using XP, you will have to download the Java plugin, JRE, or windows JVM.

If you need more help, you can send me an email using the email link by my name here & I can go into more detail. I'm unaware of what the dragon.exe is, so I can't help you that way. Is it a program you need in your computer?

BTW, ThunderFall, the program looks way better on your screen shot than on my PC! Funny how the different Java Environments change things. That's why I was afraid to touch the GUI too much.

Originally posted by chiefpaco

Thunderfall just beat me to the solution (& is even better than mine, so I'm cutting this short!) BTW, if anyone has problems opening it, can you let me know what OS you're using? If you're using XP, you will have to download the Java plugin, JRE, or windows JVM.

If you need more help, you can send me an email using the email link by my name here & I can go into more detail. I'm unaware of what the dragon.exe is, so I can't help you that way. Is it a program you need in your computer?

BTW, ThunderFall, the program looks way better on your screen shot than on my PC! Funny how the different Java Environments change things. That's why I was afraid to touch the GUI too much.

I tried the Java-Link from Thunderfall but when I tried to start the file but nothing happened! I really don`t have any idea why?? Which Java version should I download?
I know I am a little bit tiresome with my questions, but I really like to try the mapstat!

Thanks!

Originally posted by Baron Rakkan

I tried the Java-Link from Thunderfall but when I tried to start the file but nothing happened! I really don`t have any idea why?? Which Java version should I download?
I know I am a little bit tiresome with my questions, but I really like to try the mapstat!

Thanks!

You're not tiresome with your questions at all. If anyone has problems, I'm glad to help out. However, I'm afraid I know more about Java developing than distribution, but I'll try to help.

First, your problem. From the sounds of it, I believe you don't have a way to run Java applications on your computer. Either that, or the Java Environment you have was altered or corrupted.

The plug-in link supplied by Thunderfall looks like it might not help after all. According to the website there, this plug-in allows you to run applets in your web browser. MapStat is not an applet, but a standalone program and therefore does not run in a browser.

So, I think the best solution for you is to install the JRE. Try the link I provided further up the page.

Alternatively, if you think you already have Java, you must change your default ".jar" file handler. On my computer, the default program to open jar files is "javaw". "javaw" appears on my list of programs available to run files. Hold down the shift key & right click the file. Select "Open With". Find "javaw" on your list and select "Ok". If you do not see "javaw", you will have to go through the installation.

Good luck. Let me know if it works. Also, please let me know what OS you're using. I can give more specific help & will know more about distributing Java programs in the future.

I run Win98 and the .jar program did not run because it was an unregistered extension type. I installed the link that Thunderfall supplied and the program ran fine.

With your knowledge of domination win criteria, it would be nice if you had a little box that showed how many more squares you required for a domination win. This is absolutely a great tool!

Many thanks.

Cartouche Bee

Top Bottom