New unit- mortar

Sorry the file was too big. Here is another try...

Attachments

• mortar1.zip
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,138
FYI, Mortar2.zip is corrupt and the Attack Wav wont extract. Tried several times from here and the "unit Library"

Extracts fine for me, using WinRAR.

indeed, it is corrupt. So I post it separatally.

Attachments

• mortarattack.zip
    237.1 KB · Views: 656
I am sorry if I am too late - just saw this thread!
I hadn't seen any stats on this yet.
I am a military history buff and think these numbers would be accurate for the mortar unit (in contrast/comparison to the other field units in Civ III).
B = Bombard (2 – I think this should be low, these mortars (not siege mortars) were used as anti-personnel, not for city sieges) – but for personnel – should be 8). I don’t think there is such a designation.
R = Range (1)
F = Firing Rate (2)

A = Attack (0)
D = Defense (1)
M = Movement (1)
Cost = 105

Crist2000, do you mind if I make a Vietnamese version of this unit with my infamous Pointy Straw hats?

Dutch, what pre's and req's do you suggest?

Pres & Reqs?
Do you mean prerequisits; as in what should allow the unit to exist?
If this is your question I would say of course gunpowder. There should be an advance that allows this unit, (but unfortunately CIV III doesn't have it already there). I would say create an advance like 'Light Arms' or 'Light Artillery' or something like that.

If this isn't what you meant - then please explain, I would be more than happy to help out.

That's exactly what I meant.

Saltpeter isn't used (except by cavalry) when you get infantry. But, that might make a good drawback.

In my opinion it should be a foot unit artillery, but weaker. So, let's take the stats from the cannon, combine them, and make him a foot soldier available at Mass Production.

How's this for stats:

Cost: 100
Pre: Mass Production
Req: Rubber, Saltpeter

A/D/M: 1/1/1
S/R/F: 8/1/2

Strategy: Offence and Defence

Everything looks good, (especially 'Mass Production') in their. I think that is particularly relevant. I am not sure I understood the cost of 9. I do beleive those things were really cheap to produce, but I think 9 is too cheap. I mean we are not only talking about the cost of the unit, but the cost to SUPPLY the unit. Civ III doesn't have any way of determining supply of units, units running out of shells and the ammunition build up to a war is something for the future, maybe CIV IV??? (**HINT, HINT**).
So that is why I thought a cost around a 100 would be prudent.
Anyway, good job.

Maybe 100 would be better, just because of the fact that it has to be killed and it can't be captured.

Personally my stats for this unit.

cost 9
Attack: 3
Bombard str.: 8 (like canon)
defence: 3

Foot unit, airlift and airdrop (you may use helicopters to drop paratroopers with mortar backup).

Adv. :Replaceble parts.
Rersourse: iron , saltpeter.

Hi Christ 2000,

Lemme start off by saying that your idea about creating the mortar infantry was really unique, thank you for this great unit :).

I have had this unit in my mod for some time now and have started incorporating Civ specific flavour units, such as the grenadier and the NVA Infantry (am currently and slowly working on a generic WWII Infantry soldier wearing the Marine Helmet). Now I have the problem that your lovely unit differs from these flavour units.

My suggestion: Why not making the Mortar with different headwears so as to have a German, Asian, and alternative (round helmet) version ?! Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Originally posted by W.i.n.t.e.r
Hi Christ 2000,

My suggestion: Why not making the Mortar with different headwears so as to have a German, Asian, and alternative (round helmet) version ?! Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Now that I have permision, I am going to make a pointy-straw-hat NVA Mortar.

Top Bottom