whats so great about communism?

Communism have some advantages:

Almost no corruption.

Every unit in a city, up tp three, make two citizens happy. With three units you get six, which is quite good in my opinion.

Normal science, not half like fundy.

If you are not ready to switch to a democracy because of happines or war, and you don't want fundy because of poor science, communism is a good solution.

It's the ideal beginner government as it's not terribly weak in any department, but then again not terribly strong anywhere either. The 'pedia description suggests it'd be good for widespread empires, but the fact that democracy has no corruption too means that this would be foolish. It may give you vet spies, but unlike democracy, your troops can be bribed too so you can choose whichever you want from those options. I'm sticking with democracy though. Communism is a run-of-the-mill government for those who do not wish to micromanage their sliders too much and who are hedging their bets on how they are going to win the game.

Communism is a good wartime gov't, especially if you need to continue strong research. With heavy trade, it can net you a tech every 2-4 turns - plus the benefit of no unhappiness for units running around killing neighbors. It is basically monarchy without the corruption. Powerful if used right, because production is its strong point. As Duke o' York points out, it will never produce as much trade/science as democracy or as much gold as fundamentalism, but is a good middle ground.

Vet spies are only half as likely to get caught as greenies. That makes a difference until you have scores of them swarming around. Which is fun, too - pump out 100 spies and have fun!

I like to use Commy early. I race to Democracy, build SOL, and then switch to Commy. It has nice production, and I use it to build the infrastructure needed to really take advantage of WLYD's when I switch to Demo.

And, if you set some percentage to your happiness, you can usually generate WLYD's in commy, giving you trade rates similar to demo. Usually giving you more than if you just applied the happiness percentage to either money or science.

Oh... and vet spies... love em :D

Communism is great in MP if you've been a monarchy and have missed the happy wonders. Go communism with the Statue and you have 0 corruption, 0 riot factor, and doubled martial law (in those cities with 3 martial law units thats 6 free content citizens). Combine all these together and you've got a viable 0 lux govt with a fast tech rate and great production. Build tons of cities and pyramids, and conquer and you'll get a good growth rate too.

Originally posted by duke o' york
Communism is a run-of-the-mill government for those who do not wish to micromanage their sliders too much and who are hedging their bets on how they are going to win the game.
That is one way to look at it.
But communism is also the best government for early conquest, when the game is such that you did not (or simply cannot) manage to win sooner (which happens in many scenarios).
Have you ever tried to fight a battle with twice as ma

...have you ever tried to fight a battle with twice as many vet spies as strong units on your side, all of them sabotaging any unit they come across?
(nice example: the beautiful enemy battleship along your coast; 2 vet spies put it in the red and you finish it with any ironclad you have left from previous battles :cool: )

Hm, I don't like it at all. If I want science I'll go democracy, war Fundamentalism. Communism is the only one I absolutely never use. Vet spies are easy to get without it.

Originally posted by ArmOrAttAk
. Communism is the only one I absolutely never use.
Is that the right solution? Most people improve their gameplay by trial and error. You would be surprised ;) .

I'm a big fan of Communism. War is nearly impossible with Democracy, and Fundy slows research. It prevents being decimated by an opponent, which is possible under Demo, and from falling behind as in Fundy.

Hey MajorGeneral,

I've been trying to fit communism into a strategy, but have preety much failed to make it work. What time period/conditions do you use it under? What kind of tax settings do you use?

Yes la fayette you're right and this isn't an ignorant opinion. You can run war in Democracy no problem. Do massive engineering railroads up to the enemy city, send the troops, you'll get disorder for one turn and the next turn return them to a city, bring a new batch from different cities. or take the city and move 2 engineers to build a fortress on the sqaure your troops are sitting on.

Originally posted by bellisaurius
What kind of tax settings do you use?
I've gotten near-democracy level science with tax/science/luxury set to either 10/80/10 or 20/80/0. This is preceded by building multiple trade routes in all cities. If you don't mind slowing down from 2 turns per tech to 8, try 40/60/0. I'll switch to it with SoL, as it is basically monarchy without corruption. Otherwise, you need to wait for the tech, which is later in the tech tree.

Communism is good when you are building up forces for a war. It gives you a production boost over democracy while only slowing research by a turn or two per tech. It's good while you are at war, as the masses don't care that you send their sons off to die on foreign soil. They don't mind bombers, either.

Just as you may delay switching from monarchy to republic until your land is fully improved, you may prefer communism to democracy when you need to pump out shields.

Originally posted by bellisaurius
Hey MajorGeneral,

I've been trying to fit communism into a strategy, but have preety much failed to make it work. What time period/conditions do you use it under? What kind of tax settings do you use?

1) Early communism (some people call it 'soft' when you get it with help of SOL)
Compared with Monarchy, it gives you: no corruption (main condition to grow a big empire), no waste, double marshall law (which means very few happiness problems), much better resistance to bribery.
You can rule it the 'simple' way with luxuries set at 0% (no problem at all, probably the easiest government to rule in civ2).
You can also rule it what I call the 'Republican' way, with high luxury rate in order to achieve WLT*D, then the added trade arrows help you lower the rate and go on collecting trade at the same level as Rep or Demo.
2) 'Hard' communism
This is the one you get after discovering (or stealing or trading) the tech. You can get it quite soon if you choose the tech line Steam- RR - Indust (a techline that also provides you ironclads and efficient transportation network).
'Hard' commie provides VET SPIES on top of the other features previously described. And the vet spy is by far the strongest military unit in civ2, once you have learned how to master her :crazyeye:

If trade and science are handled right, there is actually little difference there between Commy and Demo. Thus, it becomes democracy with freedom of war, so to speak. Of course, if you're REALLY good at handling trade and science, Fundy CAN get you the SAME SCIENCE\TRADE results as Demo, or at least, close to them.

Not at all. If you're really good at handling trade and science then communism can get you similar results to those you'd have if you were really bad at handling trade and science in a democracy. And you'd have to be pretty awful at trade for fundy to even come close to a poor democracy.

The only time I have played a commy gov is by accident in the dinosaur scenario where it is replaced by cooperation. The only reason this happened was I coundn't make head nor tail of the tech tree and had been research the wrong things to get democracy.

I have never used it in the ordinary game , as I cannot see the benefits over demo, though I should give it a try for that all out vet spy war.

ferenginar

The only trouble about the all-out spy war is that you have had to have been in democracy or fundy beforehand or else you won't be able to bribe any of the cities you come across. You can always sabotage all the AI units, but you can't take cities this way so you'll need a massive stockpile of cash before you set out.

Duke, good point about the cash, but as a ferengi trade is very important to me and I usually have a good supply of Latinum.

ferenginar:D

Top Bottom