New Unit Squid

Kinboat

Conan the Librarian
Here is a Squid (or Octopus depending on how many tentacles you can find). It's my first completed unit and I'm planning on updating the parts I'm not entirely happy with when I get the time and skill... I'll post two gif animations so everyone can see what it looks like before you download. Bridust originally suggested the image for use as an early barbarian sea unit, the legendary Kraken of old. All original artwork mostly in POVRay (with Moray) and using Flicster to compile in FLC format. Use as you want just don't take credit.

Enjoy

Thanks for the positive feedback... I've updated it, so the squid appears to be underwater when it's moving (basicly it's a big shadow) and only comes up to attack (and die)

Version 1 removed after 25 downloads

Attachments

• squidver2.zip
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,894
Here's one animation... the attack. One other note I didn't include any sounds, just what does a Squid sound like? If anyone else would like to make some up it'd be great.

This animation isn't quite the same as the flc now that I've updated it... I don't have a new gif made up yet, but this one is still similar.

Attachments

• squid_attack.gif
    squid_attack.gif
    25 KB · Views: 7,043
Here's the Death animation...

Attachments

• squid_death.gif
    squid_death.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 6,351
yes, for once my specilist training is useful.

squids don't make any noise that we can hear, so the sound you want is somthing like the thrashing in water.

interesting fact - the Kracken (the mythical giant octopuss) is based on real life, they found a fifty foot version on a beech somewere a few years ago, their deep sea creatures, that only very rarly come up to the surface, the rumor of them attacking ships came about be a crew seeing them, and then saying that that was what caused another ship to be lost at sea.

strange but true.

Originally posted by Derricoat

interesting fact - the Kracken (the mythical giant octopuss) is based on real life, they found a fifty foot version on a beech somewere a few years ago.

*GULP:eek:* I remember sb making a horror flick outa that...

Excellent! I didn't expect it so soon. It looks great. I'll have to see how it works out when I get home from work. Thanks a lot, it looks great.

I was doing a civilopedia entry for it at home. I can post it here later this evening if anyone is interested.

Thanks again and great job :)

bridust

Yeah a civilopedia entry would be great. I haven't really done any for any of the units I add, but I'd use it if you have one.

By the way I've updated the graphics slightly, hope you like the improvement. Version 2 is at the top.

Maybe.... the squid could be a unit resulting from the discovery of genetic enginerring... and it could be a secret government project. ;) ;) And the squid could have no civilization markings on it like the Privateer. The government do use sea creatures in warfare. Why they use dolphins to find mines and stuff underwater! Why not they use a squid? I'd be neat. :D

But I think that the original idea of Bridust is the best.The squid as the barbarian sea unit. Imagine, you put a settler and a spearman in a galley to colonize an island, and suddently appears a giant squid, and sinks your fragile galley.Amazing!!!!:D

Hi!!This squid is an awesome unit. I was just playing an usual game (with the Squid as the barbarian sea unit), and this is what happened: my fragile Galley, in the side of a group of these sea monsters...and I can't move...Just see the picture. And people will be able to see what this units looks in the game.Awesome:eek:

Attachments

• squids.jpg
    squids.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 4,793
You survived a giant squid attack!?! Not only one but four? Well maybe you should up the stats of those barbarian squids :) Great shots... it lets people see it in action, thanks.

Originally posted by Kinboat
You survived a giant squid attack!?! Not only one but four? Well maybe you should up the stats of those barbarian squids :) Great shots... it lets people see it in action, thanks.

yes, maybe. What stats are you using? I gave attack 2, defense 2, to make sure they can beat one Galley or Caravel, but it doesn't work...maybe 3/3.:D

I have it about as strong as a frigate (I believe)... But I also have the barbarian difficulty raised in the editor. So they fight on an equal stance at Regent difficulty level, and become more dangerous than a regular unit on higher difficulties...

hey this real neat! coolio ;)

all we need now is a sperm whale or great white shark to fight him :cool:

Top Bottom