Province Borders - what type/ what process?

Province Borders - What type/ what process?

• Page 1, post 3 - edited 04/23/02 @3:06pm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Page 1, post 7 - edited 04/24/02 @3:31am

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Page 1, 3rd to last post - dated 04/24/02 @ 1:33pm

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Page 1, last post - dated 04/29/02 @ 8:00am

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Page 2, second post - dated 04/29/02 @9:35am

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyc

Looking for the door...
This poll is written to narrow the discussion of Province Borders and the way all Provinces are set-up. In a nutshell, our choices here will help us DEFINE a Province. The Examples discussed in this poll are shown here:examples . The general consensus is to use a geographical map and to stay within the 5 city limit as stated by the constitution. Suggestions have been made to go beyond the 5 city barrier to reduce the possibility of too many governors. In the examples page there is more discussion. Make your choice by choosing one of the 5 examples listed below that correspond to the 5 on the examples pages (1 and 2). The numbers below also correspond to the numbers above:

1. Page 1, 3rd post - edited 04/23/02 @ 3:06pm. Shows the first three Provinces. Istar and the second two are made by splitting America.

2. Page 1, 7th post - edited 04/24/02 @ 3:31am. Shows the first six Provinces. Based on valleys and other landmarks.

3. Page 1, 3rd to last post - dated 04/24/02 @ 1:33pm. Shows the first 5 Provinces using a much larger Province grouping.

4. Page 1, last post on page - dated 04/29/02 @ 8:00am. Shows the first three Provinces using the 126 land tile plan. Additional examples follow on the second page after example #5.

5. Page 2, 2nd post - dated 04/29/02 @9:35am. Shows the first 5 Provinces using natural landmarks as borders.

Take your time in deciding here. This is a complicated poll. Using the info I was given, this is the simplist I can make it. Study the examples and move back and forth between them and the poll untill you are ready to choose. I've set this poll up for 3 days initially (till Friday Night). That could change if there is over-whelming support for one choice or if it is deemed everyone has voted, but 3 days is a safe bet.

Good work on collecting all the different ideas. I voted for the last one, but it is not precisely what I would like to see. Since I am graphically challenged (but learning!), I did not draw a map, but maybe I can describe an idea that someone could draw. I like the geographic basis, and I would go along with tile count at least as a guide, if not a strict rule. I think we want to stay within the intent of 5 cities, with some exceptions due to terrain. Therefore, there should be some larger provinces if the terrain is not as good, and dense ones if there are 5-6 cities in a tightly packed area. With that in mind, I prefer a more natural grouping of cities. My idea would be a core area of the capital and the 4-5 closest cities (Fox Nest, Eyr, Khatovar, Need a Name, Falcons, maybe + 1 new one), a second province (Greater Cormyr) of the citys we built in the next "band" north of the capital area (Shailo, Pherris, PDX, Civinatoria, might need to include Philly to make it fit), a third and fourth province of the former American cities north of there (Miami, Boston, Chicago, Wash., Atlanta in one, and another for NY,SF, seattle, and any others to the west), another would be the former egyptian cities, another to the south of fox nest for our future cities, etc. Obviously, this might need adjustment. My idea is to keep it fairly geographical, but also to group cities with similar concerns under the same governer. Near-core cities will probably be better developed than frontier cities dealing with non-native populations.

Just a reminder. Popular poll and Council vote decided we would not hold to the 5 city limit but would base provinces on geography exclusively. Here's the relevant parts of the Constitution:

Section H: Governors and Provinces

Point 2: Provincial borders are geography based and will be approved by a cabinet vote. A Province may contain any number of cities. As new territory is explored, additional provinces will be defined. Provincial borders should be defined well ahead of territorial expansion.

I agree with the geographic borders, but what I meant was to get areas that would be closer to 5 cities each, some of the designs had provinces with 8-9 cities and room for more. If we have a dense area, thats fine, or if it is a spread-out area with less thats ok too. I guess I am just recommending we take the population of the area into account.

Thanks Justus II. Your last reply just described option #4

Sounds OK to me Shaitan. We've had this on the table for 3 weeks now? We should get Eyrei to put together a good poll so we get max turnout. I think this does fall under Domestic Dept. I can no longer create binding polls.

I apologize for my absence, but I am still waiting on software from Bellsouth so I can set up my home internet access. For that same reason, it will be difficult for me to set up a poll, especially one that requires graphics and such. Might I suggest that either the President or Cyc, both of whom offered one of the suggestions that will be a choice in the final repoll, put this poll up. To get a good turnout, the graphics should be displayed in the new thread. If the poll is satisfactory (which I am sure it will be), it's results will be written into law.

Originally posted by eyrei
I apologize for my absence, but I am still waiting on software from Bellsouth so I can set up my home internet access. For that same reason, it will be difficult for me to set up a poll, especially one that requires graphics and such. Might I suggest that either the President or Cyc, both of whom offered one of the suggestions that will be a choice in the final repoll, put this poll up. To get a good turnout, the graphics should be displayed in the new thread. If the poll is satisfactory (which I am sure it will be), it's results will be written into law.
I've got everything set up for a poll. I'll go ahead and post it.

Sounds good!:goodjob:

very cool, ty.

originally posted by eyrei:
If the poll is satisfactory (which I am sure it will be), it's results will be written into law.

So let it be written, so let it be done. :hammer:

Though I am a bit concerned about the hedging on polls. Once we have the provinces defined and the governors elected we should address the who, what, where, when and how of polls.

Top Bottom