Abortion - What do you think about it?

What do you think the legal status of Abortion should be

• Abortions should be illegal in all cases

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Abortion should only be allowed if the mother is in danger of life, or the pregnancy was cause thru

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Abortion should be allowed during the first 12 weeks if the mother is in personal distress caused by

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 32 30.8%

• Total voters

Grisu

Draghetto
Retired Moderator
On June 2nd, the Swiss people will vote on the issue of Abortion. There are three options to be taken:

1. Initiative "Mother and Child" - Abortion is forbidden.

2. Present Law - Abortion is forbidden, except when when the mother is in severe danger of life or when the pregnancy was caused through rape.

3. "Fristenregelung" (sorry, i don't know the english term for that) - Abortion is allowed during the first 12 weeks after the last menstruation, if the mother signs a written letter that states that she is in "personal distress" and has consulted a doctor to state the distress. Else the abortion is still illegal.

There ist now a major (and rather emotional) discussion in swiss politics about this issue, and i know that abortion is on the news in various other countries as well at the time, so i just wanted to know what the average civer thinks about all this.

well i think that abartion should be legal alway during the first 3 months of the pregnacy and after that period the mother must accept that its to late to abort the foetus.

why abortion?
1)by raping that you get pregnant thru it
2)if the mother is to young like those teenage mothers. a child who gets a child.
3)if the mother gets the baby by a affair
4)if the mother is psychally weak or mentally weak
5)(this one im against at but i can understand it)
if the foetus has the system of down or is gehandicapt.
(like a mother who doesnt want to care a mongol like they say for people who have the system of down
6)other reasons i might have forgot

anyway a abortion is always bad for the mother menthal health
always crying about not getting a child:cry: :cry:
but in some cases it can

My position is somewhere between the first two options; only when the mothers life is threatened, and perhaps in the case of rape.

Originally posted by Simon Darkshade
My position is somewhere between the first two options; only when the mothers life is threatened, and perhaps in the case of rape.
perhaps in the case of rape?
you are really sick simon darkshade

Originally posted by philippe

perhaps in the case of rape?
you are really sick simon darkshade

Is there any reasoning behind your petty insults boy, or just misplaced teenage angst?
It depends on the situation, and one believes in giving the child a chance at life, despite the circumstances of its conception. The mother is under no compulsion to keep the child, but there is no need to compound one crime with another.

Originally posted by Padma
My gosh, I actually agree with Phillipe's reasoning!

Maybe I should think this through some more! :D
I'll have to go with phillipe's post too. Congratulations to philippe who has managed to post something good. :goodjob: ;)

I agree with Phillipe's point.
BY not having the abortion, the mother is risking her life and the future of her children and husband, in cases of high B.P etc.
Why does'nt the Catholic chew over this?

Missing from the list is a fourth option called "pro-choice."

I voted for "something else entirely" to make up for it.

Not because I like abortions, or because I don't think they are particularly irresponsible, but because it's not my problem, it's the proverbial hers. To pick one of a million examples that could be used in favor of a pro-choice position, what if she was on the pill and it didn't work?

I know at least three mothers who got pregnant that way, one who was told she was infertile by her doctor and so stopped using the pill, and one who had an abortion after an on-pill conception. I've got bad news for y'all, but the pill is only 99.9% effective, not 100%. So was the woman being irresponsible by not demanding 2 or three more kinds of birth control to reduce the odds?

If people wanna have abortions during a reasonable timespan, like definitely the 4th, 5th months would probably the the very very limit, then they should be able to. I don't care and I won't tell someone else what they should do. So I'm prochoice even if I am a C&E catholic.

Abortion should not be used as a 'method of contraception' and I wouldn't like to see doctors performing repeated terminations on the same women.

If a woman wants to end a pregnancy within a reasonable time frame so be it. Abortion is a womans choice, we shouldn't impose our views and opinions on what a woman should do with HER body, we are never going understand what she is going through.

Personally I think the decision to end a pregnancy before 12 weeks would be signigicantly less psychologically damaging than giving birth to a baby that is not wanted, then having to face the possibly of caring for this child or placing it up for adoption. Let alone the pressure from friends/family etc imposing their views and expecting her to feel overjoyed about bringing up a child that she feels she is stuck with. Do you think this child would receive the love and attention that a 'wanted' child takes for granted!

I bet a significant number of women who reget having an abortion feel this way because they were 'persuaded' to go through with it.

Everyone who has an abortions should received councilling before hand to ensure they are making an informed choice.

End of rant!

I don't personally agree with it, but for logistical purposes I think outlawing it may be pointless and even do more harm than good.

I used to be firmly pro-life but now I'm kind of a fence-sitter. I'm not religious so to me, it isn't an issue of earth-shattering importance.

This is a complicated issue. I could go on forever but for now I digress.

This poll is a sham. Your only options other than "something else" are all anti-abortion in some degree. Do you mean to imply that legal abortion in all cases shouldn't be a polling option?

As for my views: Although I would never ever bring myself (or allow my girlfriend/wife) to abort a pregnancy, I respect the freedom of choice for the woman. I may not condone abortion, but I know that other people don't see it that way and therefore a woman should be able to choose. Just because I believe in something, doesn't make me right.

But in all fairness, there really isn't an excuse for abortion in the world today (unless your Catholic). Is it so hard to buy a condom? or a birth control pill?

Originally posted by Sixchan
Being a cold, heartless, unfeeling and irresponsible bastard, I don't think there should be a limit to how early a pregnancy can be terminated. I await your pathetic flames and insults with anticipation and a firehose. :p

I think I agree with you here. It's either a life or it isn't. I'm personally against abortion because I think it is a life at conception, but I really can't force others to believe that the fetus is a life. Therefore, I'm reluctantly pro-choice....

I think the bans on abortions after the first trimester are just silly. If the fetus isn't a life until birth, why not allow abortions up until that point. Any other time limit is an arbitrary decision. I know some people who say that they stop supporting the right to choose at the point where the fetus could survive outside the mother, but really, where is that point? And won't science eventually progrees to the point where we can develop embryos into human beings?

Originally posted by Richard III
Missing from the list is a fourth option called "pro-choice."

I'm not sure what exactly "pro-choice" contains, but i think this is more or less what the "fristenregelung" means. I'm afraid I haven't been able to write down the whole law, but if i'm not mistaken the term "personal distress" also includes pregnancy due to a not-working-pill.

but otherwise i totally agree with your reasoning

Originally posted by BlueMonday
This poll is a sham. Your only options other than "something else" are all anti-abortion in some degree. Do you mean to imply that legal abortion in all cases shouldn't be a polling option?

Whooops, i'm sorry, but the reason i only included the options i did, was that in the upcoming voting there are only the three options available. so i though i'd just put in the "something else"-button for everybody else. but on second thought i think you're right, i should have included an "abortion is always legal" option.

Presonnal choice : abortion should be authorized as long as the fetus has not started to develop a nervous system (I think it's about the 10th-12th week).
After that, abortion should be restrained to emergency health cases only.

Top Bottom