Apollo - Estimates year of cultural victory

Lovro

Prince
Apollo provides an easy way to estimate the year of your (potential) cultural victory (the hard way included addition, subtraction and division :eek: ). It is based on the current state of your empire, meaning that the date would only be accurate if you wouldn't build any more culture producing buildings. Thus, it will probably never produce the exact date of your cultural victory, but can be used as a pretty good estimate. Its accuracy will hugely depend on the game you are playing. ;)

Apollo considers both the 100000 culture points and the one city 20000 points victory. It also takes into account buildings' culture rating doubling after 1000 years.

It has been tested (somewhat) with v1.21f, but should be compatible with previous versions. Please contact me should any problems arise.

Version history:

v1.02 (June 06, 2002)
- added "Open Newest" option to File menu
- fixed bug involving sold/razed improvements
v1.01 (May 05, 2002)
- major bugfixes
v1.0 (May 04, 2002)
- initial release of Apollo

Download: Apollo.zip (v1.02)

Version 1.01 removed after 178 downloads.

Screenshot:

Excellent stuff. Looks good to me. Works on my 1.17 saves. I don't have a 1.21 culturally winnable game yet...

Originally posted by Lovro
- initial release of Apollo

Are you sure it was such a good idea to release me from prison? I was in there for a reason you know ;)

Anyway, this tool will really come in handy. I usually win by either culture or space, and this will let me know quickly and easily whether or not I have time left to try for a culture victory. :goodjob:

The initial release (no, he won't do you any harm) had major bugs in it (they affected other civs, so it could have easily looked as the program was working well).

Version 1.01 removed after 178 downloads.

But does this utility take into account the fact that in order to win culturally you need 100,000 points and have twice the culture of your nearest rival?

Otherwise, it looks very good! Keep it up! :D

Originally posted by sgrig
But does this utility take into account the fact that in order to win culturally you need 100,000 points and have twice the culture of your nearest rival?
Yes, it does.

There are two different options, 'the cultural victory' (takes rivals' culture into account) and '100000 points' (does not take it into account).

You will probably never need to use the latter option on lower levels. On higher levels, you might be in the process of eliminating the rival who's blocking your cultural victory, and you should use the option to see how things will stand after you have eliminated them.

I am currently milking GOM8 and I decided to use apollo for my first time to check the date of cultural vic. (aiming for diplo in 2050) My cultur was 88917 in 1876ad so I was worried, I checked apollo and it said culture vic in 1896ad. So I first sold all libraries and universities and then checked nect turn, it said culture vic in 1898ad, so I sold all temples and checked again next turn, it said 1900ad, so I sold all other cultur improvements (except can't sell wonders) and checked the next turn it said 1902ad. How can this be? I have no cultural improvements! NONE ZIP NADA ZILCH! I then noticed a trend here every turn it moves forward one turn. I then contined play and checked apollo every other turn, and every other turn it has moved my culture vic date forward by two turns. What is up with this. I would send you the save game so you could see but its a GOM, wich makes it a strictly confidential game until the month is over. But I have made a backup save for you to see if you wish on july 1.

Originally posted by skaternate
I would send you the save game so you could see but its a GOM, wich makes it a strictly confidential game until the month is over.
I don't participate in the GOTM, so please do email me the game...

I have no problem e-mailing you the game then, just one problem. The e-mail or pm through the forum does not allow me to attach files. So could you e-mail, or pm me your e-mail address so that I can attach the files. I will send you a few different saves if that makes it easier on you. It is 1960's in my game and I have barely made 1000 culture points since the 1800's when I first started using apollo. This has really screwed my score though. I got rid of all cathedrals and have luxeries at 90% to keep my people happy. To bad it didn't work properly. I hope you can use this to make the program more accurate, it would be a god send. Thanks

This version includes the Open Newest option you could see in MapStat and fixes the bug skaternate found. Previously, sold improvements continued to count as if they were not sold. This has (hopefully) been fixed.

I suggest we let skaternate reload his GOTM (if he wants to) prior to his selling all cultural improvements, since Apollo probably had him taking a different course of action, possibly resulting in a lower score. Thanks also, skaternate, for testing the new version prior to release, which took about 1 MB of your bandwidth. :goodjob:

One more note: somebody emailed me about the program with suggestions. Unfortunately, I misdeleted the email before replying, so please do resend the email. Thanks.

The next version will include a "Detailed report" option. It should have been in the initial release, but... it was not. ;)

Download v1.02:

Attachments

• apollo.zip
    270.6 KB · Views: 1,642
Well, my civilization has 103000 culture points in 1858 and this utility says I will get 100000 culture points in 2003.

It works with 1.29f fine.

Lovro - does this utility take into account that you need 2x every other civ's individual culture to win a 100k victory? Or does itjust count when you'll get 100k culture points?

It would be great if Apollo could show the current number of culture points for each country. This at last would allow you to see if you ARE twice the culture of your nearest civ rather than just guess from the demo graph.

Is this possible? I'd guess that its something you;d have in mind for your 'detailed version' I hope!

Hey guys, minor update... You can download an unofficial release that can display the exact number of culture points of all civilizations. Note that it has not been thoroughly tested and was coded in something like 5 minutes. :)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/apollo_with_display_points.zip

Thanks to col for testing the thingy.

Originally posted by Yzman
When will this be available for PTW? I know this current version doesn't work for it.
Hardly ever.

Your message was the first I heard of PTW released. I have no intention of buying it, thus not updating Apollo. :undecide:

Top Bottom