The Phoenatica Weekly Standard (Newspaper)

Justus II

General Staff
This thread will be our weekly national newspaper. This is a work in progress, but the concept is that as citizens contribute articles, columns, etc, we will collect them all, then put them together to give everyone something to read and learn about the current state of affairs. This should not be just a summary of turn chats, or a history, we already have those. The idea is that it would be an opportunity to get more information on specific events or people on a weekly basis. Some of the features discussed so far are:
Interviews with cabinet members
Articles about our cities
"Man on the street" quotes

This will not be a "Official" government newspaper, we believe in a free press (even though we haven't invented that yet :D ). I would like several citizens who would be interested in working on different articles to let me know. I know Allhailindia was one of the first to step forward and express interest. Anyone else PM me, and we can start to plan our articles.

DoM: Just please keep in mind that it must still be within forum rules. Have fun with it, just don't make me have to warn people about flaming, trolling, or offending others. :)

Thank you, Justus for giving us this opportunity of starting this newspaper, I think our editions will come out on Saturdays detailing the happenings of the past one week ,is that OK with you??? Also could you add a list of those willing to contribute, who have PM'd you, just so that we know who they are

:) :goodjob:

I'll start off by saying: "No comment.";)

I would prefer PMing them to me for now, so we don't crowd out the forums, plus it would give away our exclusives! Seriously, we will I'm sure work out a better system later, but for now PMs will work.

I can't wait to read the stories and news. :)

You could try and write about what effects poll decisions had. (i.e., the people chose Republic, and nearly complete with the war on Egypt, 4 cities are now rioting.) It's all in the chat logs.

You could even make commentaries (supporting or mocking) certain decisions - before and after they happen (whatever the decision was) in the chat log).

Originally posted by eyrei
I'll start off by saying: "No comment.";)

Yes of corse Eyrei won`t support any thing that isn't his Idea or something that might diminish the power of the Goverment.

Off that to set this up ,Justis, you should try to assign someone to every conncil possitions to report on them. You should keep this out of the Goverment but cival enough to appease the Moderators.

First of all, I am IN the government, so it might be hard to keep it out of the government. I already have a couple of articles submitted, and my plan is to primarily rely on submissions from citizens for the article, plus possibly a presidential column. So if you have an interest in a particular department, send me an article, and we will print it.

I would like some more discussion on format, I know we have talked about PDF format, HTML, even attaching it to a web page if we make one, or possibly a Microsoft Word document. What would be the most universally accessible format?

justus--Do you know how the interviews will be conducted? will elected officials recieve a PM to meet in an MIRC chat room or will it be over PM?

I'd say do a dual format. Write it up in Word then run the finished doc through the .pdf converter. Most people have Word. The ones who don't can get Acrobat Reader for free. This way you can format it how you wish and don't have to worry about browser incompatibility (html).

I like Shaitans idea of a dual format, as I'm an open code type of person. So, is the actual newspaper going to show up in this thread in a small zip? I would like that. I would also like to see special editions posted in regular forum format to alert us to special events. You know, a post with the Newspaper heading followed by a Headline like "The War is Over" or "Election Day", followed by a small blurb and indicating the upcoming issue of the Newspaper. Just a thought.

I'd say do a dual format. Write it up in Word then run the finished doc through the .pdf converter. Most people have Word. The ones who don't can get Acrobat Reader for free. This way you can format it how you wish and don't have to worry about browser incompatibility (html).

Does anyone know where I can get the PDF converter? I thought I had Acrobat at work, but we just have the reader. Word works for me otherwise.

justus--Do you know how the interviews will be conducted? will elected officials recieve a PM to meet in an MIRC chat room or will it be over PM?

I say it would be up to the person doing the interview. The one I recieved so far was just a question and answer format, looks like it might have been done in a chat room and then cleaned up. That probably works the best, you can ask better follow-up questions that way.

what about this:
one post per edition. in the post in plain-text there are the headlines and maybe some short summary of the article, appended to the post there is the pdf-file (check wheter zip will be much smaller, if only a few kb smaller leave as pdf).

and please:
get the mods to clean up this thread first before you post here... maybe make a "contact" thread and a "publication" thread (one for you posting, one for the citizens posting comments and suggestions).

btw:
when is the first issue due?

Both good suggestions, I will not be able to do much on it this weekend due to family obligations. I will try to put together a draft Monday, including the articles I have so far, in Word. When we are ready to publish, I would like two threads, our Customer Service thread and a thread for the actual issues. Then we can offer subscriptions.;)

Originally posted by russia1292000

Yes of corse Eyrei won`t support any thing that isn't his Idea or something that might diminish the power of the Goverment.

I don't suppose we have defined what the penalty for libel is, have we?

Russia, I get the impression that you rarely read what is going on in the game, yet you insist on offering unconstructive and inflammatory criticisms. You are welcome to your opinion, and are quite welcome to post it. However, if you make an accusation, I suggest you be prepared to offer factual evidence.

Top Bottom