Civ III Diplomacy Editor

pesoloco

Civ-aholic
Many of you know me as a unit creator. Few people know that I am also a programmer.

I wrote this utility for fun. It helps mod creators to edit the diplomacy.txt file.

One problem with using notepad or wordpad to edit this file directly is that if you start sorting by civ, mood, and power, with diff. random choices you can get a very long list of text messages. This list can become very difficult to navigate without continually counting the messages.

This utility organizes the messages and creates a graphical breakdown of each diplomatic message.

This is how it works:
when you first start the program you are asked for the civ path. enter the path where civ is located and click ok

After that, the main window pops up.
You select a message, such as AIFIRSTCONTACT from the list on the left. Then you change the properties on the right.
For example, you can choose to sort by civ, sort by mood, and have 2 random choices for each. The list below that changes. The different graphics represent civs, power levels, moods, etc.
Click on a line and type a new message.

When you click on exit, you are asked if you want to save. click yes to save. When you save, the program automatically creates a backup of the current diplomacy.txt file called backup-diplomacy.txt

See screenshots of the utility program.

DEC 18: NEW VERSION 3.66 NOW AVAILABLE

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
1. download the zip file (dipedit366setup.zip)here
2. create a folder called C:\TEMP\DIPEDIT
3. unzip the file to that folder
4. run setup.exe
5. follow the instructions
6. after the setup program is complete, delete C:\TEMP\DIPEDIT

FEATURES
Graphic Interface for editting diplomacy messages
Add new messages for new civs
Import messages from other diplomacy files
Edit user diplomacy messages
Edit diplomacy labels (such as "peace treaty" or "mutual protection pact")

Also, this utility is compatible with all versions of Civ III.

Please rate this thread
Feedback appreciated.

cool. This makes me to lower the priority on adding sush a tool to the multitool.

What language is it written in?

Originally posted by Gramphos
What language is it written in?

It's written in Visual Basic 5.0
I would've use Visual C++ but I wanted to get it done quickly. VB seems easier to debug programs. I also have more experience with VB than VC++, but I know them both well.

I am also working on a much larger project for Civ. This is actually a part of it. I dont know how soon it will be for me to finish the whole thing so I may release it in bits and pieces.

I am going to add a few more features later to allow you to edit treaty names and negotiation labels.

tip: extend the "leader dialogs" box much further to the right so we can see more of the text. Good job, though :)!

Originally posted by Exsanguination
tip: extend the "leader dialogs" box much further to the right so we can see more of the text. Good job, though :)!

I thought the same thing. I will have a new version ready shortly.
I am thinking of making the size adjustable.

I just posted version 1.20 on the geocities site. If you have already downloaded the older version, just install this over it.

CHANGES:
Main Window is now resizable
The message list and message tree sizes can be adjusted by resizing the window
A separator is located between the list and the tree. This separator can be dragged to the right or left to reveal more of the list or give you more space to type messages into the tree.

GET THE NEW VERSION, CLICK HERE!!!

Originally posted by nonnob3
Amazing utility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awsome job Pesoloco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!

you're welcome. :D

Pesoloco.Every day you make a new unit or now even a new utility you stun me with your perfection.....
You really are on the level of dark sheer and other unit makers.
i congrat you on the work you now already done.:goodjob:

thanks, philippe

I have posted version 2.00 on my geocities site.

CHANGES:
Added "Labels" button which opens a "labels" dialog box.
This new dialog box allows you to change the label texts on the diplomacy screen.

Great work!
When the editor comes out, I'm going to need this utility almost as much as flicster. :) This should alow some exelent Scenarios.

I am glad there is so much support for this utility, especially since it is my first utility for civ III.

I am thinking of making a few minor changes (adding more features actually). We'll see how it works out.

Top Bottom