Chieftain
Athelstane`s 1066 scenario - The conquest of England

WARNING - Make a copy of theese files before installing the scenario:

Text\Civilopedia.txt
Text\PedIcons.txt
Art\City Screen\building-large.pcx
Art\City Screen\buliding-small.pcx
Art\units\units_32.pcx

Download the files, and extract them to your Civilization directory. Remember to back up your files as above.

To play a civ go into the bic file and change the human player flag under player properties.

Summary

Edward the Confessor, the king of England, died 4th of January 1066. There were three candidates for the throne. One was Harold Godwinsson whom Edward had agreed upon just before his death. It was important to have an Anglo-Saxon king. Harald Hardrade, the norse king, wanted it though. Last there was Duke William of Normandy. He was promised the throne in 1051 by Edward, and Harold had sworn allegiance to William in 1064. But the Anglo-Saxons declared Harold king. Angry, William prepared for invasion.....

Scenario Notes

I`ve used the Western Europe map made by El Mencey with permission

1) There are seven civilizations in the scenario
The Normans are led by Duke William the Bastard. They have units ready in Rouen to invade England.
The Norse are led by Harald Hardrade. He has units just outside York, ready to attack.
The Anglo Saxons are led by Harold Godwinsson. They have units ready to face the two attackers. But don`t forget the Pict, Scot and Celt barbarians.

The Danes are led by Svend II Estridson.
The Swedes are led by Stenkil.
These two civilizations have only defensive units at the start of the game.

The Holy Empire of the German Nation is led by kaiser Heinrich IV
France is led by Philip I
I have only given them minor forces, but they have both vast empires and can grow strong later in the game.

2) Units
I`ve deactivated the settler
I would like to give the civilizations unique units, but I have only found one.
I tried the crossbowman by Dark Sheer, but they didn`t have them at the time, so it would be wrong to use them.
All civilizations can use knights, though at the time, only the Normans had them. I will change this later.
The longbowman has no prerequisite so all civilizations can use them. This is historical wrong since they were introduced by the english at a later stage.

New:
Longboat by Kal-El. 2-1-4 transports 2, can be used by Normans, Norse, Danes and Swedes
Housecarl (animations as pikeman). 1-3-1. Unique Unit for the Anglo-Saxons (This is not historical correct, as the Viking nations also had them, but I had to give the Anglo-Saxons something)
Changes:
Galley can only be used by Anglo-Saxons, France and the Holy Empire of the German Nation

3) Improvements and Wonderers
Changes:
Lindisfarne Gospels - built in Durham. Replaces Hanging Gardens
Bayeux Tapestry - (needs Norman Knowledge). Replaces Sistine Chapell
The Basilica of the Holy Mother - built in Aachen. Replaces J.S.Bach Cathedral
Tower of London - replaces military academy (I need to change this somehow)
Windsor Castle - replaces forbidden palace
Castle - 50% defence bonus. Replaces Walls
Wells - replaces aqueducts
Monastery - replaces libraries
Church - replaces Temples

4) Rules Changes
Research is not a point in the scenario, so I changed the min. research time to 40 turns, max 80. This makes it a long time to get anywhere in science.

Because of lack of diplomatic in the editor, this can fast change the game into a "what if"-game. But your goal in the scenario is to conquer England. Trying to conquer France or Germany is far to easy. I made it this way so you shouldn`t be attacked by them. William had support of both civilizations.

The scenario isn`t finished (as it cannot be finished until I can do something with the diplomacy). But it`s playable, and that is one of the reasons I put it`s up here.

The other reason is, that I need help from you guys to make it better. Do you know of, or can make units that fits the medeval period? The knights were introduced by the Normans, but the longbow is a later tech. I`ve started on a unit called housecarl, but I don`t think I`ll be able to complete it, though. I can`t make the graphics right. I would also like to include norman infantry and mounted housecarls as well.

The civilopedia graphics are simple, and if somebody would like to make leaderheads I would love the contribution. The ones I`ve attached is only a picture.

All ideas are welcome (though I can`t promise I will use all of them).

Avranchez would be more correct as Avranche. You can put an 's' if you want, but no 'z'.

Question, on the map you showed, Jersey (or Guernesey I am not sure) does not have any culture on the West. How did you do that ?

Thanks for an historical scenario !

Originally posted by LouLong
Avranchez would be more correct as Avranche. You can put an 's' if you want, but no 'z'.

You`re right. It`s with an 's'. I`ll change that in my next version.

Question, on the map you showed, Jersey (or Guernesey I am not sure) does not have any culture on the West. How did you do that ?

I didn`t do anything. It`s too close to St. Brieux and the game somehow divides the territory between the cities. I have however wondered how this is chosen. Sometimes when I`ve played Civ3, my city had much larger culture than the neighbour city, by I didn`t get more tiles.

I didn`t do anything. It`s too close to St. Brieux and the game somehow divides the territory between the cities. I have however wondered how this is chosen. Sometimes when I`ve played Civ3, my city had much larger culture than the neighbour city, by I didn`t get more tiles. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry I hqd not seen there was another cultural frontier as well. That explains everyhing.
BTW since it seems you like historical scenario, did you check my Spanish Reconquista scenario. If so, I would apreciate your comments.

No, I haven`t, but I will.

Anyway, I see there is a lot of downloads, but only one who comments. Was it really that bad? No suggestions on things I can do to improve?

What tileset are you using in the screenshot? Those farms look NICE.

Well, I got a problem when trying to speak with the Danes. Game quit. Some other leaders give picture problems too.

I would probably add some forest in Ireland and maybe you should destroy the ancient wonders such as Pyramids or Lighthouse in the editor. They are quite strange along real ones like the Bayeux Tapestry (good idea BTW).

Strange, I couldn`t force that error. When did the error occur? What relations did you have with the danes? Friends? Foes? Neither?

I know some of the pictures are bad. It seems as their partly transparent. The reason is simply that one colour is transparent, and it ruins the pictures. I`m not that good with the graphics, but I`ll see if I can figure it out how to fix it.

Originally posted by LouLong
I hqd just traded contact with them and the error occured the very first time I tried to contact them (same turn).

Sorry, I just hadn't downloaded and installed all the file.
Nice research job.

Are you gonna keep it like that ?
I guess it could be improved with the new units around. Tech research could be slowed a lot (Anglo-Saxons reach gunpowder fairly quickly,...).

My 2 cents for I really wish you could make it evolve.

If u tell me how to build cities in editor i can creat great
scenarios.....
ý've downloaded 4 scens but i couldnot played them.do i need v1.29?
Do i need ptw to create a scen?

please mail to favorisiz@yahoo.com

thanx....:crazyeye:

I played your scenario a lot... Invasion is too easy, even with norway's invasion. I will maybe post my revised version...

I don't have much time, thus...

Authorisation to use your map for a D-Day scenario ?

Also, somebody knpws hpw to resize an existing map ?

Season's greetings!

Originally posted by peterka
I played your scenario a lot... Invasion is too easy, even with norway's invasion. I will maybe post my revised version...

Well, I`m not happy with it either. I will improve in, but for the time I`m waiting for PTW. Should get it in a few days.

Authorisation to use your map for a D-Day scenario ?

It`s not my map. As you see by the read me-file it`s the Western Europe map made by El Mencey.

Originally posted by peterka
Can you give me a way to reach el mencey?

My scenario is almost done

Try through his personal website
http://perso.wanadoo.es/civ3maps/

I think he is kind of "on strike" as many Spanish Civ players are at the moment so better contact him directly.

Top Bottom