SOTD#2: Weird Culture Square

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
[Originally posted to the main site news] Today we have a new screenshot of the day submitted by Scotty Ford. Anyone has any idea why that square is there?

This is a very weird screenshot I got in Civ III last night, take a look at it. 151 kb. I'll describe it below.

The weird thing I found was that square of culture right off my culture barrier, owned by me. It's near Syracuse. How can that square be there? It doesn't make sense to me how that one block of culture could appear there. It just doesnt make sense =p. Have a look.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd02.jpg

If you have a weird or unusual Civ3 screenshot, submit it to thunderfall@civfanatics.com and we will post it.

That must be because you can't own Ocean squares, the culture just skipped the ocean and then he just owns a square behind the ocean.

This image will surely explain what I mean:
(Nope it won't, because I accidently Deleted it from my server ;))

Check this one out

Attachments

• civiii.jpg
    civiii.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,376
Originally posted by Thunderfall
[Originally posted to the main site news] Anyone has any idea why that square is there?

Syracuse has a culture radius of 4. That square is within it's cultural radius, and it's a terrain type (sea) that you can own. The squares around it are ocean, which you can't.

Duh. ;)

Originally posted by JohnGalt

Syracuse has a culture radius of 4. That square is within it's cultural radius, and it's a terrain type (sea) that you can own. The squares around it are ocean, which you can't.

Duh. ;)
Exactly what I meant...

Thunderfall, you've never seen that before?

Whenever I'm playing a builder game I see that all the time. I more frequently see the stuff like from tyguyx12's screenshot.

You can own ocean square IF it falls into your 'workable' area. But that won't ever happen on Civ3 random generated maps, but I see it quite often on human made world maps. It generates 0 food, 0 shields, 0 gold so you get a red shield just like pollution (unless you've modded the game to give it some value, or when you do get a harbor or something to add food to it you can use it).

I probably saw it in one of my games before... don't remember. :o I don't play Civ3 as much as you guys. :)

I have a pretty good game going on though... My civ was the weakest Civ in the game all the way to the middle ages and I finally managed to revert the fate of my empire by invading my neighbor & destroying them. My Civ is now the #3 Civ on the planet and has the most territory. Playing as the underdog is so much fun in Civ3. :D

Back to topic... don't forget to send me weird Civ3 screenshots. :)

:D

Happens often enough. :p I have never seen a square yet that was completely cut off the rest of it's land. Should be possible though, but only with a city culture of more than 10,000.

Originally posted by Matrix
I have never seen a square yet that was completely cut off the rest of it's land. Should be possible though, but only with a city culture of more than 10,000.
Wouldn't the city only need 1000 culture points? Say a city was on a coast, it would need 0 culture to have its borders contain the bordering coast. It would need 10 to encompany the sea, 100 to claim the ocean, and 1000 to claim sea on the other side of the ocean. This is probably rare, though, since there would have to be another landmass positioned just right in relation to the city's landmass.

Other then ocean squares in a city radius... oceans are never contained within culture borders.
Also remember, when there's a square between culture boundries (unclaimed and one on opposite sides) that square is claimed automatically. However this only effects laand, coast, and sea squares. The above paragraph is the only way to claim ocean squares.

Originally posted by willj
Wouldn't the city only need 1000 culture points? Say a city was on a coast, it would need 0 culture to have its borders contain the bordering coast. It would need 10 to encompany the sea, 100 to claim the ocean, and 1000 to claim sea on the other side of the ocean. This is probably rare, though, since there would have to be another landmass positioned just right in relation to the city's landmass.
Well, whatever. I'm a chemist; we've given up calculation.

What a SPAM thread! This thing is closed! ;)

Just kidding of course, but I wonder what TF would do if I closed one of his threads........... :D I have a feeling I might be packign my mod bags if I did that.

Well, on the actual topic, It appears to have been explained well enough. I've actually had cities flip over oceans before because by city shared cultural borders with them! :D

Also, you people are too well behaved, some people might think I've dissapeared just because CoH has disciplined everyone before I can get to them! Jeez!!! Can't you guys act up more around midnight GMT so I can rack up a few more warnings!!!!!

Note: Add in a big WINK after that last paragraph!

Anyways, I'm tired, so I'm going to bed, if you couldn't tell this post has doubled as my life story post for today but it's still on topic because I said so!

Well, work is slowing down so look for a little more gonzo around!

I guess I must have missed what's special about this -- either that or playing hours and hours of Civ3, day after day since it's release has made me more than just somewhat familiar with the quirks of the game! ;)

Edit: Fair enough if it's something new to people who don't play the game much. Not every screenshot of the day is going to appeal to all. I'll shurrup now. :D

Ash

Originally posted by Matrix
I have never seen a square yet that was completely cut off the rest of it's land. Should be possible though, but only with a city culture of more than 10,000.

And with this terrain

Attachments

• border copy.gif
    border copy.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 470
I don't think such a terrain can appear, the ocian 1 tile wide ocian in your example, schee, will not be ocian, the map generator will make it sea tiles.

but if a map somehow would indeed look that way, i think you can be pretty sure that one sea tile will also be clamed:)

This one is understandable, but still caught me by surprise. Notice how the Japanese culture border threads its way along, cutting rail traffic to the recently conquered city in the south.

This could have resulted in a very painful city flip because I couldn't bring up the garrison. :eek:

Top Bottom