Screenshot of the Day #3: Global Warming

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
"If world pollution reaches sufficiently critial levels, there is a chance that global warming will occur. It can cause forests and jungles to disappear, and grasslands to become plains, and plains to decome desert. " This is how global warming is supposed to work in the game according to the Civilopedia. It doesn't always work like that though, as you can see from this truly weird screenshot submitted by Jackie Niebling.

Look at this strange screenshot. I had a fairly high level of pollution in this civ game and suddenly and without warning a desert tile rose out of the water to seal in the city of Eridu, prohibiting it from ever making naval units again. Before this happened, however, I had built a harbor (as you can see by the icon) and an offshore platform in the city. They both continued to work on the remaining water squares in the city's reach. I went back one autosave to move my ships from the city out to the tile of desert to see what would happen. The thing still rose out of the water and enclosed my ships as you can see. They could still move out from the desert square into the ocean but not back in of course.

http://www.civfanatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/sotd03.jpg

If you have a cool screenshot, please submit it to SOTD.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is odd that the square appears to be irrigated.

That desert square was caused to rise out of the sea by the guardian gods pf production who sought to punish you for building wealth in your cities. ;)

Never build wealth!

(and yes a very interesting wierd effect.)

Congrats, you have just officially produced civ3,s first real flying Dutchman! :D

Crap, they made it totally unrealistic by not including a Dutch civ! ;)

I could understand if new land forms at the mouth of a river delta, but this is just odd. Doesn't the global warming theory predict that land will be comsumed by ocean due to rising sea levels from the melting polar icecaps? This is just plain odd :)

BTW. I never get any of the weird results in my games like you have, Thunderfall. Are you just extremely lucky, or have you sold your soul to the evil one? :)

A most interesting screen shot of a beached (steel) whale. I wonder if you could still use the ships as artillery. :)

Maybe keep shooting North and you'll drive yourself into the sea. ;) :crazyeyes:

Why is the square irrigated? Why does it have a railroad on it? Are you telling the truth?

Originally posted by johnpaulcain
Why is the square irrigated? Why does it have a railroad on it? Are you telling the truth?

His workers are probably automated. The second global warming turned the square to desert, there were probably workers on it roading, railing, and irrigating.

He can't have faked it. Look at Eridu - it has a harbor!

That really IS wierd. I can't think of any other explanation than that that is a one-off bug...

there is a possibility but i don't think they did this:
in the scenario editor you can put improvements in cities regardless of where they are. so i could put a harbor in the middle of a pangea. Like i said, i don't think the person did this.

It is cool, and I too had this happen in a game I had last week. Screenshots and or saved games are available if you're interested.

(Edit: I am now no longer sure if it was just a normal coastline, or one next to a harboured city, or both - but it definitely happened at least on just a normal coastline to a Battleship or Ironclad that I had in coastal waters. It ended up in the desert, but I was able to then move it into an adjacent square of sea. I guess the sand was still quite wet, or something...)

I strongly suspect this was a new feature added in the v1.29 patch. It would be great to have this confirmed by Firaxis staff. ;)

Ash

just something I noticed.

This 'Dutch-bug' is some weird phenomenon.

EDIT: I mean it is facing in the wrong direction.

Attachments

• real.jpg
    real.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 699
LOL at "Dutch-bug" :)

And LOL also that you state it only happens beside bodies of water - it kinda has to since it's coastline.

(Edit: If you're refering to the river - yeah the river appears to have stayed the same. Only the coastline has changed, to desert. Kinda makes sense that the engine wouldn't also try and extend the river, that would be nifty though.)

Ash

Yep, the river (which includes it's own delta graphics) hasn't been extended - it has not changed, but the land on it has - the delta (unless I've missed something) was there beforehand.

I have played a game where the pollution from nukes and factories was so high that 90% of my land was desert. I had fish on a desert square. The pic does not surprise me.

Top Bottom