Screenshot of the Day #4: Allegiance Denied

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Today's Screenshot of the Day is not as weird as previous ones and I am sure some of you have seen similar things in your games. It is still a very amusing pic nevertheless. ;)

I was in a race with the Japanese over a tight peninsula to get there and managed to get some Iroquois cities just before the Japanese did. They went for culture on their cities and the sad thing happened. Culture flip. Well did it? Check the pic!

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd04.jpg

The big question now is what should you do with those traitors. Disband the city, use them to rush projects, or enslave them? :D Thanks to Beammeuppy for the screenshot.

Submit a cool screenshot to SOTD

I thought the AI will go delirious over a new city. Way too weird. :) Maybe it's the sake.

I've had that happen once.

Happened to me once or twice...

I think it happens most often when the civ who rejects the city has good relations towards you.

Originally posted by Richard III
Shoot them!

Which I normally would but this was a Tournament game.

How bad are you if you offer yourself to another nation and are simply refused. Got your last shower a month ago, dirt under your fingernails, peed in a Hakodate garden?

It must have something to do with personal hygiene and behaviour.

heheh I've never seen that either! I thought they'd just want the city regardless. I *wish* in this kind of case a completely new Civ could emerge in the city. Possible perhaps if there was some capability to take two Civs and make a hybrid of their culture strengths, and UUs too.

But I digress.

I've had that happen once but it was with a civ which I had poor relations with. Egypt was actually furious with me without ever going to war (I mightve broken an alliance though) and we both in a military build up. They refused to anex it maybe because I had the better units (infantry to their rifleman) I dont really know. It was a 7 size city even but right at the border so it wouldve been a trench city.

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Happened to me once or twice...

I think it happens most often when the civ who rejects the city has good relations towards you.

Nice thought thought GF. I just found a sav of that game one turn later and the Japanese are annoyed with me. Well they must have been more annoyed with the Iroquies.

In Score and Power the French were higher, in culture lower compared with the Japanese and the Iroquies were already extinct.

All citizens in that city are French in that sav, so they would have been at the time of flip as well.

The only thing that is special at that particular point is that the French are in a Golden Age. Could that make a difference, some hidden Firaxis feature?

A wild guess, the Japanes haven't passed the optimal number of cities have they? That may be a reason for not wanting one more.

Happened to me once with a city that wanted to flip every 8 or so turns..... 5 times.... they never wanted it... very strange, later I found it sat squat on the only oil on the continent.... :confused:......

i was going to suggest that it's because that city has nothing to offer the japanese and it's just gonna be a treasury drain to them.
are the japanese at war with someone? if they are and the other civs units are nearby that could be a problem.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
Happened to me once with a city that wanted to flip every 8 or so turns..... 5 times.... they never wanted it... very strange, later I found it sat squat on the only oil on the continent.... :confused:......

woa, how did you let that happen, i'll definitely kill such traitors! :lol:

i had that happened once. i was so distressed & agonized when i read then first line, and then...., god be praised. :D

I saw this once, also, in a Chieftain game. The city was one founded in terrible territory in the middle of nowhere next to the Japanese, as a city to protect the road from a city with fur.

It also happened to me once in one of my first games. On monarch, I had a city making the link between tha northern and southern parts of my empire. It tryed to flip twice to the Iro's (I played Americans) but they rejected it. I had them gracious towards me but after the second attempt I raised all my armies and attacked the Iroquis. Please note that in the same game I had a city with a luxury on the iroquis coast and they didn't reject that city when it flipped.

It never happened afterwards and I wonder how is this engineered.

It happened to me once. I was the poor, patheic, overmatched French, playing two levels over my head on the north end of a continent. The Persians were my neighbor and they had done in the Romans at the south end of the continent. The city that would have flipped was only a few turns away from the Forbidden Palace. I was suprised that it would flip as I was sure it was closer to my palace than to the Persians. I was actually more concerned about a luxury-rich city that would have also screwed me up if it had flipped. I was even more suprised that Xerxes didn't accept those traitors. It just prolonged my misery however, since Persia declared war on me very early into an agreement where I was paying gpt and a luxury for a tech. The remaining world shared another continent and though I was able to form alliances with them, they did not offer much real help. Which city did Xerxes head to first? The one he rejected, not the luxury city that was helping buy my allies. Nothing that Xerxes did in that game made sense to me, but I still got my French head handed to me on a platter. America wasn't in the game to bail me out. In fine French tradition, I wouldn't have granted Abe an RoP to bomb Persia or Libya or anybody else anyway.

Top Bottom