Screenshot of the Day #10: Polar City

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Screenshot of the Day continues with a weird-looking city view screen submitted by Bamspeedy. This is what you get when you build a city near the edge of the map:

I was playing the 180 X 180 World map for the DyP mod and I saw an island that was way up north of Russia, near the North Pole. Part of the city would be off the screen, so I went to go settle there and see what would happen. As you can see in the screenshot, it is all screwed up, but still works properly. I later settled on Antarctica and the screen wasn't split like this, but you couldn't micromanage the city as anytime you tried to, you would leave the city view and go back to the map screen.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd10.jpg

BTW, do you know it's not allowed to build cities on polar caps in Civ3, unlike in Civ2. I don't think you can build a global railroad system there also. This is probably a good change, otherwise the AIs would waste lots of resource building a "Great Wall" on polar caps. ;)

Heh, that's pretty funny (and weird). I always wondered what it would look like if you did that.

It's only 10 BC and this guy's up to Tacoma 3? What's the secret?:confused: :crazyeye: :eek:

Originally posted by The Yankee
It's only 10 BC and this guy's up to Tacoma 3? What's the secret?:confused: :crazyeye: :eek:
Maybe it's only his third city; and likes Tacoma!:lol:

I have seen similar when the AI built the same way. It was weird, then too.

Maybe the AI has found the entrance into the Inner Earth world, reputedly located at the two polar capes. :)

Originally posted by duke o' york
It's not called Inner Earth KD, everyone knows that it's called Middle Earth! :lol:
Not Middle Earth; I'm talking about that 'hollow earth' theory some people throw around. ;) :p They believe the entrances to this place in the hollow insides of the Earth are in the polar caps, somewhere.

But yeah, Inner Earth sounds strange.... :lol:

Does anyone know what has been said about this for PtW? I can't recall if it will address the issue, BeBop.

This is weird indeed. Does it really work properly because the figures don't add up?
Surely with three food then you'd get one extra, and still be able to grow but it shows no sign of letting you.

With the DyP mod you need 3 food for each citizen, hence the three food from the city center. In the governments that have a tile penalty, the city center only gives 2 food, so this slows growth a little. Alot of the other terrain has had their value changed with that mod, such as being able to mine forests and tundra gives 0 food. As far as ICS, it's a little tricky with that mod. You start off with one type of settler unit (clan?) that only costs 1 pop point, but is wheeled. After a certain tech you get the regular settler that costs 2 pop and is not wheeled. So you have to figure out whether you want to slow research down or not to take advantage of the 1 pop settler early on or not. Oh, and you can't mine or irrigate until the middle ages. And you need the wheel tech to build roads :) .

it's strange that the designers didn't notice/fix this bug. You'd think they'd check something like this...

I actually am wondering about how round the earth is myself in CIV III.

I just got the game recently and played the Marla Map of the Earth. I noticed I could circum-navigate the earth. ie: I sailed along the Aleutian Island and could reach Japan (shown as on the opposite side of the map) pretty quickly.

I didn't try crossing the polar caps though. I was wondering if you could come out in russia if you head north from canada or something like that.

Is this something specific to the map? because I wanna make sure the map i'm playing support circum navigation before starting to play.

Is there another thread about circum navigation in this forum? unfortunately the search doesn't work.

Welcome to CFC, kvasir! :band:

Wow! I've seen two year old screenshot threads brought back from the dead before, but I've never seen it done on topic! I'm not being sarcastic either...

Anyway, in regards to crossing edges of a map and coming out on the other side, that depends on editor settings called X and Y wrapping. There's likely more information about that down in the Creation and Customization forums.

Originally posted by superslug
Welcome to CFC, kvasir! :band:

Wow! I've seen two year old screenshot threads brought back from the dead before, but I've never seen it done on topic! I'm not being sarcastic either...

Anyway, in regards to crossing edges of a map and coming out on the other side, that depends on editor settings called X and Y wrapping. There's likely more information about that down in the Creation and Customization forums.

Heh! Thanks for the welcome fanfare! *dances about with the amerindian drum music of civ III*

I actually did a google search on map wrapping and found the screenshot and that led me to this post.

Thanks for the tips, i'll check the map setting for XY wrapping in the editor then. (not until i can get my C3C editor to display properly)

I should have mentioned this in my earlier post, but x and y wrapping are distinct and separate parameters. X wrapping is enabled by default as you can sail east/west. The y wrapping is north/south at the artic regions.

Originally posted by superslug
... but x and y wrapping are distinct and separate parameters. X wrapping is enabled by default as you can sail east/west. The y wrapping is north/south at the artic regions.

hmmm i suppose Y wrapping would be a bad idea for a real earth map, no? Unless you want to go from north pole to south pole in 1 step.

Now, does X wrapping implies that you can WARP from northern russia to northern canada in one move?

Sorry,i'm too lazy to test this :blush: also i can't play the game for another 7 hours or so.... :\

P.S. no luck finding any more thread on wrapping...

Top Bottom