Screenshot of the Day #13: Glorious Barbarians

Fr8monkey

Deity
Oops! didn't post. Here we go again...

Sorry, I can't seem to get the picture to load up. Anyway, The book comes up after about 20 turns saying the Barbarians are the first AND second largest civilizations. Has this ever happened to you before? I'll try to get the pic up later.

OK this is it....

Attachments

• big barb ii.gif
    big barb ii.gif
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,269
That does look funny. :) Not bad being 1:st AND 2:nd, especially since you're not even a competing civilization...

Maybe our friend Toynbee had a drop too much to drink while writing? I wonder how long it took him to compile that list anyway? Maybe he was payed per letter?

Never seen anything like that before :eek:

It would have made a good SotD ;)

They may just be barbarians, but they sure are glorious barbarians! :D
Originally posted by ainwood
Actually, this does shed light on how the "biggest" civilization is calculated. If this happened right at the start of the game, then it may indicate that "largest" civ is based on number of units, rather than city size. :confused:
Hmmm... Maybe you're on to something.

I played a game once against barbarians. all they did was produce warriors nonstop and had one city. Maybe you got two.

I thought it was pretty weird too. The pic FINALLY got posted. (forgot to change from .bmp image then it was too big and had to crop it).

Originally posted by Thunderfall
The only explanation is Toynbee was drunk. :lol:
I could have sworn that he smokes weed.

If it was modded it would be partially explainable. The Barbarians would be made into a civ by accident (or purpose). But there are two of them, so it's odd.

leads to me think...

Does anyone know how many barbarian tribes there are in such a game? If there were more than 26 then that could be the reason.

Maybe the Japanese only has their capital of Kyoto as well expanded to size 2 just like China in the pic. The game engine will not show you a tie so it segregated both.

If there were 27 or more barbarian tribes then that could be the reason. I don't think that ainwood's theory is correct at all. By looking at the replay mode at the end of each game I can say that these "largest-civ" announcements are pretty much accurate.

Groovy baby!;)

I think the book takes a minimum of the top 4 civs and determines their power and since you only have 2 active players that is how the barbarians got in there. They just put barbarians into each slot that is empty. So it doesn't mean there are 2 different barbarian groups.

.....wait a minute...... nevermind, How could they be the LARGEST? I could see how they might be the most powerful, because of # of units, but not largest in territory size.

I think some of the people who posted before me are partially correct, just needed to state it more clearly. Each barb camp would count as 1 tile, so if there was more camps than you have tiles they would be bigger than you in size.

I bet if the book would show up if you were the only civ, then 3 barbs would show up. But when you are the only civ playing the game treats it like you've won (no music, etc), so I don't think the book would show up.

Do any of the hack utilities show size/strength of Barbarian tribes? Maybe they would show up as having a bunch of camps on a huge map, and the two civs would have just their first cities, which have already expanded to 21 tiles.

Wow! I'm famous! I did mod the game; but nothing that makes the Barbs a Civilization. Wanna' know something weird? I played another 1-on-1 game....and it happened AGAIN!!!

Attachments

• bbii.gif
    bbii.gif
    138 KB · Views: 1,135
Man that came out fuzzy. Maciavelli states the 2 barb tribes are the most powerful in 3000 BC

Top Bottom