Screenshot of the Day #16: Zimbabwe Under Siege

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
In real life, you want to make as many friends and as few enemies as possible. It's no different in Civ3. Those who don't quickly vanish from the face of the earth.

A cooperative war is taking its course as Germany, England, Babylon and France (me) are punishing the Zulu. Of course it's helpful to have a mutual protection pact with all "war-buddies". As you can see, we are able to inflict serious damage, and the war will end soon.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd16.jpg

The lesson: It pays to listen to your foreign advisor and "make more friends"! ;) Thanks Paalikles for the submission.

And yet another screenshot with that beautiful graphics terrain mod.

Does anyone know which thread that download is on? I've decided it's time to finally use it since it looks so damn good...

R.III

BTW, members of the Anti-Zulus Coalition will be really happy when they see this pic. :D

And I agree with Hurricane. The oval shape map is nice. :)

Originally posted by Thunderfall
The lesson: It pays to listen to your foreign advisor and "make more friends"! ;)
Indeed, I always get some allies (esp on the same continent as me and the 'aggressor') in any early wars. Then I'd ally yet again to get rid of one ex-ally. Repeat until I'm ruling all of the continent. :mwaha:

nice :D

Now just get them to stick with you while you kill of one after another........ ;)

I know I know, that's my warmonger half talkin'

This map was made by Rangers85 I think. You 'll find it in the scenario section (or was that user made maps?)
It is actually in the shape of a baseball-field. A quick map to develop and conquer the "world" on.

As you might have guessed - the war had an ok outcome too...
Now where did those Zulus go

Oh...right
:D

Originally posted by Thunderfall
BTW, members of the Anti-Zulus Coalition will be really happy when they see this pic. :D

And I agree with Hurricane. The oval shape map is nice. :)

I've had many coalitions against me, I still killed them all! :p

Maybe it's time to form a Zulu coalition.:)

Serves those pesky zulus right :goodjob:

But I can't help transferring this situation to the real world. What we're looking at is a joint EU-Iraq peacekeeping force dethroning Robert Mugabe :lol: :lol: :lol:

And thanks for the link Thunderfall :)

It sounds like most of you folks use the AI's style of bullying the weakest civ out of existence. I think this is morally wrong. Its like seeing a bunch of kids in high school picking on one smaller guy and you go and join the bullies in hurting the poor small guy.

Also this style is repetitive and unchallenging. My style is the opposite. When the bullying is in full swing I first supply the bully victim with all the tech, resources and money I can possibly give him. Next I round up any tough boys who have yet to join the one-sided affair (usually there are only 2 or 3 civs that don't join in) and have them sign pacts. Then I declare war on the ring-leader bully (the biggest instigator) and from there a general world war develops. The result is always the same: the poor little guy usually does get wiped and the bullies go down with him. Cowardly civs sometimes switch sides according to which alliance is winning. These wars sometimes last up to a millenium because every civ in the world gets involved.

I like to have the 2nd and 3rd power to attack the top civ. That way the war would go on a lot longer and more civs will join in. When ganging up on a weak civ, there won't be enough booty to share among participants.

Hope they don't mess Zimbabwe up... judging by the boundaries, it's got a cultural value of greater than 10000! - something I rarely see the AI accomplish.

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
It sounds like most of you folks use the AI's style of bullying the weakest civ out of existence. I think this is morally wrong. Its like seeing a bunch of kids in high school picking on one smaller guy and you go and join the bullies in hurting the poor small guy.

Also this style is repetitive and unchallenging. My style is the opposite. When the bullying is in full swing I first supply the bully victim with all the tech, resources and money I can possibly give him. Next I round up any tough boys who have yet to join the one-sided affair (usually there are only 2 or 3 civs that don't join in) and have them sign pacts. Then I declare war on the ring-leader bully (the biggest instigator) and from there a general world war develops. The result is always the same: the poor little guy usually does get wiped and the bullies go down with him. Cowardly civs sometimes switch sides according to which alliance is winning. These wars sometimes last up to a millenium because every civ in the world gets involved.

Most of my involvement in wars tend to be somewhat similar.
At some point, someone tries to bully me - and I refuse to accept it of course. Then they declare war. At my turn I attack and advance, not bothering to check my F4 to see if there are alliances. At the point of my first attack, suddenly another civ declares war - MPP. I attack their closest cities - and yet another civ declares war -MPP. Though I might have played it safe and run a defensive war on the first civ (at great costs...) - this chain reaction style is actually more exciting - my civ vs the world at times.

About Zimbabwe in this screenshot: I kept it. The Zulus declared war on me for no apparent reason (even though I was a lot stronger.) And by involvement of my pact-brothers-and-sisters ; they were doomed. If possible, I like to keep ancient and glorious cities (though they suffer through heavy bombardment before I get them). At times, I ve tied up 15 strong defensive units in a city to quell resistance.

But let's not talk about the war. The outcome of my game: Spaceship. I tend to go for peace rather than war, and would have had a cultural victory on the same turn (according to Apollo).

Top Bottom