Twilight America

Ed O'War

King
Background:

In the late 20th Century, the United States launched several anti-ICBM laser satellites, making SDI a reality. When revealed to the world, the Soviets and Chinese were outraged that their nuclear arsenals had been rendered obsolete overnight. Over the course of a decade they labored to spread Communism around the globe through subterfuge, insurrection and terrorism. Complacent in it's military superiority, the U.S. is caught unprepared and without allies in an attack from the West (the League of Asian Nations), South (the Americas Security Pact) and East (the European Worker's Union).

The United States starts off relatively weak militarily, but has a massive industrial capability so it can build up it's forces quickly. The invaders start off much stronger militarily, having had a decade to build up their forces and get them plenty of combat experience. However, they are much weaker industrially, so can't build new units as quickly.

1) Conquest is the only victory condition.
2) No barbarians.
3) Preserve random seed deactivated
4) Respawn AI deactivated
5) The United States: Starts in the future era, with a modified version of Democracy.
6) Invaders: Start in the Modern era, with a modified version of Communism.

Credits:

This scenario is inspired by the Fortress America boardgame by Milton Bradley (so if it seems familiar, that's probably why).

I used a modified version of RangerOne134's North America map.

Unit Graphics:
Hind helicopter by Haverlock
Apache by BoneDoc
Satellite by MazterJo
Modern Infantry by Balou

Instructions:

1) Copy each of the five unit folders into your units folder in Civ III/art/units. Adding these units will not interfere with your ability to play normal game of Civ III.

2) Copy the Twiligt America.bic file into your scenarios folder (Civ III/Scenarios).

3) Copy the Twilight America.sav file into your saved games folder (Civ III/Saves).

This scenario has been set up to be played from a saved game file. The United States is the only playable civ, though you can use the editor to modify the bic file to make one of the three invader civs the human civ; however, this is not recommended as the scenario has been optimized to have the United States as the human civ. The save game is set up with Monarch difficulty level.

Download Link:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/Twilight_America.zip

Edit: DOH! Forgot to mention in the read me that nukes are disabled. The laser satellites protect the U.S. from invader nukes, and the Americans wouldn't risk using nukes on their own soil.

Okay, here's a screenshot. I had to do a new post, as I didn't see an attachment button when I tried to edit my previous post. If a moderator happens to read this and feels like deleting the previous post, please feel free to do so.

As you can see, it's a bad day to be in Pittsburgh (edit: ack, I didn't realize it was going to be that big):

Attachments

• twilight america pic1.jpg
    twilight america pic1.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 3,227
Originally posted by Shabbaman
Did you make up the storyline yourself?

As it's based on Fortress America, the storyline more or less parallels that game's storyline, though I did change the names of the three invaders and I fiddled with a few details of the storyline.

Man this is a really cool Scenario! I like the fact that you go straight into battle.
Hane to do that in my next Scenario after a beat the hell out of the comp. in your Scenario.
It was hard at first , but I got the upper hand after awhile.
Good Job on your part.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Balancing the force levels for the computer took a long time...giving them enough forces to make it challenging for the human player, but not so many that the player was overwhelmed. Unfortunately, it doesn't have too much replayability.

Originally posted by SKILORD
nice...

i assume you can play as the commies too?

Not that i'm a commie i just like playing the bad guy.

You can play as the commies, but you'll have to use the editor to switch human players. The scenario isn't really optimized for playing the commies...because of lack of diplomacy settings, you could end up fighting both the U.S. and your comrades, the other invaders. Also, the invaders have very low production ability, though you'll have a lot of starting units.

The easiest invader to play is probably the middle one (the ASP). The next easiest would be the west coast invader (LAN). The hardest would probably be the east coast invader (the EWU).

If you play as one of the invaders, please let me know how it works out.

Well i played as America and whipped their a$$ez 1 at a time, their really easy that way, I had to almost bankrupt myself keeping the survivors happy w/ me but i did it. Invader game is next.

Originally posted by SKILORD
Well i played as America and whipped their a$$ez 1 at a time, their really easy that way, I had to almost bankrupt myself keeping the survivors happy w/ me but i did it. Invader game is next.

Cool. Let me know how the invader game goes. :)

you should set this scenario up on a world map. I bet that would be a lot of fun.

Originally posted by Nder
you should set this scenario up on a world map. I bet that would be a lot of fun.

Good idea, but I think there are already a couple of Cold War scenarios floating around out there. Besides, I wanted to base it on the Milton Bradly board game Fortress America.

Top Bottom