Screenshot of the Day #22: Saltpeter

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
The Civ3 map generator is pretty sophisticated and can generate a great world for you to play on in just seconds! But the best part is, when the Civ3 map generator decides it doesn't like you, it lets you know. ;)

I was looking for saltpeter, and I found it but I realized that there is no way to get it! Oh map generator, why do you mock me?

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd22.jpg

I recommend dropping of couple of nukes on that little island. :D Thanks to Curtis A Robinson for the submission.

This has spurred a suggestion - trading colonies. You should be able to turn workers into colonies, and settlers into trading colonies. The difference being trading colonies act as a harbour for trade purposes. :)

Edit: Either that or the return of terrforming. :D

I have a place in my game that has 2 hills 1 mountain and 4 whales and a fish all in the city radius. Unfortutately the city would have to be on a mountain. I had to settle (no pun intended) on a hill just south and miss out on 2 good whales.

I've had this occur with saltpeter before as well in GOTM9 I think it was. I've also had the same occurance with iron as well.

Now that is helpful, isn't it! :)

Oh and ainwood, leave Helen alone! At least it ain't Jenny ;)

I one had the only (!) 2 oil and the only (!) 1 Iron in a huge, 12 civ game jump to a tiny, mountain only island :mad:

Colonies should act as if they have harbors.

Originally posted by SirJethro
Colonies should act as if they have harbors.

Coming from an ex-colony that's ALL harbour - Hear hear.

I've noticed that when you generate a map in the game, you get a lot less luxuries and rescources than if you generate a map in the 1.29 map editor (clicking the globe and pressing generate) usually there are like 10 ivory right next to eachother! Is there any way to fix that.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
I one had the only (!) 2 oil and the only (!) 1 Iron in a huge, 12 civ game jump to a tiny, mountain only island :mad:

Oil?? are you sure? I thought oil only was on desert squares. Not mountains!!!

Originally posted by Aeneas of Troy
Oil?? are you sure? I thought oil only was on desert squares. Not mountains!!!
Yeah, oil doesn't appear on mountains. Killer, were you playing a modded game? And only one iron?! Were you playing with only one other civ or something?

You should build a road on the mountain anyway. Maybe you can get the resource to "run out" and pop to a new location that way.

Of course, it could relocate to the enemy . . .

Originally posted by Scientia
You should build a road on the mountain anyway. Maybe you can get the resource to "run out" and pop to a new location that way.
All right, could someone please straighten out this question:

What causes resources to dissapear?
A. It can happen any time.
B. A road must be built on the resource.
C. It must be connected to your road network.
C1. It must be connected to a city.
C2. It must be connected to your capital.

I think I have heard just about all of these, and now I'm confused. :confused:

Thanks to anyone who knows the answer for sure and can straighten this out for me.

The oil in my game could also appear in mountains since it was a self-designed Jungle world with no Tundra whatsoever....

12 civs though.....

Originally posted by WildFire444
I've noticed that when you generate a map in the game, you get a lot less luxuries and rescources than if you generate a map in the 1.29 map editor (clicking the globe and pressing generate) usually there are like 10 ivory right next to eachother! Is there any way to fix that.

I have noticed the same thing. I guess it's a matter of realism. For example, you would only find silk in East Asia and nowhere else in the world.

The best way to fix the problem is simply delete the luxuries and evenly spread them throughout the map yourself. Not too much to ask huh?

As far as that wee island goes colonies should have some sort of rudimentary harbour included. How much would it take to drag a trireme up on a beach?

Or to wrap the resource up in hides and throw it off a cliff to be picked up by the trade vessels for that matter.

That has happened to me, w/ Aluminium on a hill. The cultural borders of my civ enveloped it, but I'm not sure if that means if I got it or not. If I do then that is superb. But it's really weird:

In one game I established a city on an island off the coast of my civ. Since they were too close they're borders overlap. So in Strategic Resources of the city display, there's only iron I have to use in that city even though I have saltpeter and horses as well! I can't get it. Not sure if I have a harbor in the island city or not.

Even between cities? Like cities from the same civ you must have a harbor to trade resources?

Top Bottom