Screenshot of the Day #25: The Delete Key

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
There is nothing strange in today's screenshot. I am just using it to demonstrate the effect of the Delete key in Civ3, which is probably new to some players. :)

Hitting the "Delete" key in Civ3 will hide all the menu boxes and buttons on the map: this includes the 3 buttons at top left, the minimap, and the info box at lower right. Hitting the Delete key again will make the interface re-appear. It's pretty nifty.

I came across this by accident once when I had a case of 'fat fingers'.

There is another key (can't remember which one) that moves all the command keys off to the right side of the screen instead of the bottom. Find out about that one by accident too, and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how the heck it happened and how to get it back to the bottom! :mad:

it's the other key you use to delete, the one that deletes the text behind the cursor...no idea what's it's name.

Yeah Barmspeedy happened to me too...:)

TF, I sent you a pic where Ceasar is refusing 540 gold for 20, did you get it? I t wasn't too interesting, thought you might use it when you're out of ideas...like today...;)

Is that Snoopy's 3.0? I think I have the original Snoopy's mod, but I like that one...

Enjoy Your Day:goodjob:!

Originally posted by cgannon64
TF, I sent you a pic where Ceasar is refusing 540 gold for 20, did you get it? I t wasn't too interesting, thought you might use it when you're out of ideas...like today...;)
Don't you worry... I still have like a dozen interesting screenshots (all submitted by visiotors) that I can use for the SOTD. ;)

I just thought it's good to make those shortcut keys more well known. :p

I remember hiting the backspace key once, and thinking there was something wrong with the game! :)

I did not know this. :D That's rather cool. :goodjob:

Now if only there were a key that would show you a much larger version of the map with cultureal borders... [sigh]

thanx TF, this one is rather elpfull... O once accidently hit ti - then fought the leyboard for 20 min trying to get the f-ing stuff back :lol: :lol:

yeah me to! I tried hitting every key on the keyboard. (Unfortunately I started from the left) :lol:

Btw Novaya Havoc, If you want to look at the map from farther away simply hit the 'Z' key. Hit it again to go back.

Originally posted by Novaya Havoc
I did not know this. :D That's rather cool. :goodjob:

Now if only there were a key that would show you a much larger version of the map with cultureal borders... [sigh]

Well ... hitting "z" zooms out, don't know if this is what you mean though.

Also, I'm not sure if this is widely known, but hitting "shift" when the computer is playing/moving speeds up the movement rate quite considerably...VERY usefull.

Thanks guys, but I already know about the Z button. I mean a larger version of the map in the lower left corner, or on the military/cultural advisor screens -- that map. It'd be cool if, in game, you could have it blown to the size as shown when you retire the game.

C'est la vie.

-Ben

I did this when I was very bored and was pressing keys a lot. I hit HOME and END to get some very cool effects and DEL to disappear the screen. It was a dumb shortcut key because rarely will I use it b/c usually you can get a good view with the screens anyway.

It's holding down the shift key while the cpu is playing (ie moving its units). As long as you hold it down, they will move MUCH faster. When you release it, they move normaly. You can go and hold it down again when you want to skip something.

The egyptians were invading my territory with more then 30 units, and it took quite a long time to see each unit move 1 step at a time. I like seeing the ennemy move (i think you can take off "see enemy movment/unit movement" in the prefs), but not when there are TONS of units to move, or if its a civ I don't care for. SO I just hold shift until I get to something interesting, release & watch, then hold shift again until it's my turn.

Have fun !

Does everyone know about doing ctrl-shift-M it clears the map of everything but terrain and resources

Originally posted by sabo10
Does everyone know about doing ctrl-shift-M it clears the map of everything but terrain and resources

Yep, pretty useful. :)

Top Bottom